Cimini`s Blog, 3/19/08

MagicBizkit87

The contract that crippled this franchise. Pray we never do it again.

Yes that contract is what hurt the team. I hate when they pay money for Hall Of Famers. I would much rather save the cap space for the Eric Green's of the world. Plus that leaves more room to give Bryan Cox more money.

What were they thinking with the whole let's bring in one of the all time greats. The nerve. If Rich Kotite was dead, he would be rolling over in his grave right now.

Martin was never a HoFer in any one year, his sum total career is what would make him a HoFer. Unfortunately, you don't get to average everything out over 5 years, each year is seperate. Martin simply did not have the talent or production to be worth what he was making, and that is something that killed us. I don't recall us dominating the AFCE with Martin or winning any SBs. The best year I can remember was I think it was 12-4 with Vinny that ended with a loss in the AFC Championship game to Denver. Outside of that I think at best we made wild cards, or snuck in at 9-7 for our only other division win that I can remember in the past decade or so.

Martin was never a HoFer in any one year, his sum total career is what would make him a HoFer. Unfortunately, you don't get to average everything out over 5 years, each year is seperate. Martin simply did not have the talent or production to be worth what he was making, and that is something that killed us. I don't recall us dominating the AFCE with Martin or winning any SBs. The best year I can remember was I think it was 12-4 with Vinny that ended with a loss in the AFC Championship game to Denver. Outside of that I think at best we made wild cards, or snuck in at 9-7 for our only other division win that I can remember in the past decade or so.

Yeah, without a doubt those years were probably the best we've had in the last 10 years. Don't forget the 2004 season though. Two field goal misses ruin our chance at the AFC Championship.

Yes that contract is what hurt the team. I hate when they pay money for Hall Of Famers. I would much rather save the cap space for the Eric Green's of the world. Plus that leaves more room to give Bryan Cox more money.

What were they thinking with the whole let's bring in one of the all time greats. The nerve. If Rich Kotite was dead, he would be rolling over in his grave right now.

All time greats? lol. Whatever. He was a great compiler if that's what you mean. Doesn't help us win jack squat. Too often when we needed something to happen, we gave him the ball & he came up short.

If the time comes when he's a HOF'er, he'll be one of the worst in there. Like Don Sutton making it in baseball. The master of doing nothing special with the football in his arms.

If I had a win-now team, and I can choose any RB in for the season, he wouldn't make the top 30 list.

He was the product of solid OL's for his entire career (except when he did badly in spite of it; then all the blame went to the OL of course). He was a master of not coughing up the football (though that went hand-in-hand with going down as soon as he was touched). And I saw few take such a beating & come back for more. But running with the football in his arms? He an overrated runner. One of the most overrated in NFL history.

Spare me "Eric Green" talk. Like those were the two choices. That quote from Gary Myers (who I don't even like) was actually spot-on: “The Jets would have been better off if the Patriots matched their offer sheet to Martin … Parcells gave up too many prime draft picks and paid a quarterback’s price for a running back when the Jets have so many other needs.”

Parcells actually paid way MORE than a QB's price for him. $6M/year. That's a hefty salary now, with the cap at $116.7M. Can you fathom that number on the cap a full 10 seasons ago? The team's cap limit was $52.4M and we gave him $6M/year. And we coughed up big draft picks AND what I believe was the biggest salary in the NFL on a RB who is usually at or below the league average in ypc despite solid the solid OL's he had the benefit of running behind.

Today's equivalent?

Imagine if we signed a RB to a deal for 6 years, $80M ($13M per year). That is what we signed Martin for. It totally crippled our ability to bring in that missing player or two we so badly needed. Our reward for that ground-breaking contract? Despite the gobs & gobs of carries over the 5 years (before we gave him an even dumber one), we got one season of over 1500 yards (1513), one season with 10 rushing touchdowns (10 exactly), and two seasons in 5 where he exceeded the league average in ypc. There were no record-setting seasons. There were no 5+ ypc seasons. No 15-20 TD seasons. When you pay a man this much, you should expect it. Martin didn't even sniff it.

Look at how many people here are so critical of Thomas Jones (not inappropriately either). On a run-blocking line of Ferguson-Clarke-Mangold-Moore-Clement, with Baker & pretty-much no FB, and awful, awful QB play the whole season, Jones averaged 3.6 yards per carry. An average run from Jones in '07 was actually more than Martin in the Jets' last best-shot at a title. The OL's weren't even comparable, not to mention that Brady was like having a 6th OLman. When we went jumbo, throw Baxter in there also. And a QB at the top of his game. Plus two WR's who finished the season #1 and #2 in the league in catches for first downs.

Though Lewis & Glenn finally came into their own, the types of non-stars that you joke about (Anthony Pleasant, Rick Lyle, Bryan Cox, Ernie Logan, Otis Stiff) - with a 7th-round rookie NT, guys like these helped lead us to the #2 defense in the NFL. Against GOOD offenses in the division. Most would go on to get SB rings in New England while we won jack squat with Curtis Martin (who probably made the same as all of them combined) the warrior.

We had our chance, and his stupid contract prevented it. And people still celebrate bringing Martin here instead of bringing a title. A title we might have had if we stuck with Murrell, kept all of our draft picks, and properly used that motherload of extra cap room that (given the 1998 salary levels) would have paid for two superstar starters.

Archived