Yankees, Red Sox monopolizing young talent now, too

JetNation

Forget the level playing field. I'm a Yankee fan and I don't care about all other teams doing well. All they have to do is have their cheap owners spend more money. If they spent more money and brought it some Japanese stars revenue would go up. No one is going to go crazy about a team spending $40 mill a year to miss the playoffs for 12 years.

Forget the level playing field. I'm a Yankee fan and I don't care about all other teams doing well. All they have to do is have their cheap owners spend more money. If they spent more money and brought it some Japanese stars revenue would go up. No one is going to go crazy about a team spending $40 mill a year to miss the playoffs for 12 years.

Problem is the small market teams are at a huge disadvantage because they arent going to get nearly as much money as teams like the BoSox, Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers...

Problem is the small market teams are at a huge disadvantage because they arent going to get nearly as much money as teams like the BoSox, Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers...

Do they suck because they don't have as much money or do they not have as much money because they suck?

they cant spend money they dont have. The Royals cant spend 51 mil to pay the posting fee to get top line talent from Japan. They dont have that type of revenue.

And you should care what the other teams do. It is a closed system and you have to rely on them giving the illusion that anyone can compete for the title every year. Thats how you grow the sport. thats why football is so popular... things change from season to season. If the Yanks and Sox are always at the top, why should Oriole, Blue Jay, and Rays fans care about their team. They have nothing to hope for.

If baseball doesnt figure it out soon, ratings will continue to suffer and the sport will lose its popularity among fans around the country.

they cant spend money they dont have. The Royals cant spend 51 mil to pay the posting fee to get top line talent from Japan. They dont have that type of revenue.

And you should care what the other teams do. It is a closed system and you have to rely on them giving the illusion that anyone can compete for the title every year. Thats how you grow the sport. thats why football is so popular... things change from season to season. If the Yanks and Sox are always at the top, why should Oriole, Blue Jay, and Rays fans care about their team. They have nothing to hope for.

If baseball doesnt figure it out soon, ratings will continue to suffer and the sport will lose its popularity among fans around the country.

Then salaries will go down and these posting fees wont be so high and then other teams will start to win and then popularity will go up again.

Yankees get what, 200 mil for their tv contract??

Royals, maybe 10 mil.

how do they make up the revenue difference?

I'm asking if maybe these billionaire owners spent some of their own money and put a better product on the field wouldn't they then in turn make more money? You have to spend money to make money. I'm sure these owners can afford to risk 10-20 million a year extra on their teams.

Then salaries will go down and these posting fees wont be so high and then other teams will start to win and then popularity will go up again.

Salaries will go down.

teams will fold.

the game will be harmed for good.

the fact of the matter is the Yankees need to have the other teams be competitive in order for them to continue seeing the huge amounts of money they make. They need a balanced system. And continuing to ignore that in the shortsighted chase of now-money will lead to the destruction of the game we love.

The Royals owner is one of the richest men on the planet.

I'm asking if maybe these billionaire owners spent some of their own money and put a better product on the field wouldn't they then in turn make more money? You have to spend money to make money. I'm sure these owners can afford to risk 10-20 million a year extra on their teams.

Sports is a business. They dont spend any of their own money. Owners dont care if they win or lose, just how much money they can make. Winning isnt the goal for owners. its just the goal they state so we get suckered into believing it.

Plus, MLB limits the amount of debt each team can have. They wont allow teams to go deep into debt to sign players.

Salaries will go down.

teams will fold.

the game will be harmed for good.

the fact of the matter is the Yankees need to have the other teams be competitive in order for them to continue seeing the huge amounts of money they make. They need a balanced system. And continuing to ignore that in the shortsighted chase of now-money will lead to the destruction of the game we love.

What do you think baseball should do then? put in a salary cap? take more money from big market teams and give it to small market teams. Maybe if these small market teams would spend some of the revenue sharing money on their salary there wouldn't be such a problem. I remember a few years back there was a number of teams whose salaries were less than the amount they were getting in revenue sharing.

the owner of my company had a lot of money too, but never put any of his money into the company.

He didn't need too, all I'm saying is if these billionaires dipped into their own pockets for lets just say $30 mill a year for 2-3 years they wouldn't miss the money and would see their team get better and the value of the franchise go up. They would fill up more seats, sell more jerseys and get a better tv contract.

In a perfect world, there would be only two MLB teams. The Yankees and the Sox. Its not like anyone else matters, and its not like anyone else would care. I mean, 90% of the world are Yankees and Red Sox fans. ;)

What do you think baseball should do then? put in a salary cap? take more money from big market teams and give it to small market teams. Maybe if these small market teams would spend some of the revenue sharing money on their salary there wouldn't be such a problem. I remember a few years back there was a number of teams whose salaries were less than the amount they were getting in revenue sharing.

Salary cap is a tough thing. Its worked in football, and so far in hockey, but a complete joke in the NBA. I think a salary cap in baseball would be too difficult to put into place because the revenue isnt equally distributed like in football. So if the cap was 100 mil, the high grossing teams would have to support the low revenue teams even more than they are now.

The first thing baseball needs to do is institute a world draft. This will cut down on the signings (and as a mets fan, Im happy we have reyes b/c of this system but I understand the flaws of it). The world draft would be the biggest change to the game in our lifetime to balance the league out.

I also would institute a minimum salary cap. If teams cant generate enough revenue to put a competitive team on the field, they shouldnt be in that city.

There are a lot of other tweaks I would do. Arbitration, Waiver system, minor league FA's, Rule 5 draft, free agency and other areas that need fine tuning.

I dont believe that the big market teams should provide welfare to the small market teams, but there needs to be a minimum amount that every team contributes to the MLB pool that is distributed to the teams in the league. I think they have it pretty close right now in terms of revenue sharing (although I dont like the salary tax they have for teams like the yankees..)

I think a hard cap would be, first, impossible to get and second, not as successful as everyone (outside of the northeast) thinks it will be.

In a perfect world, there would be only two MLB teams. The Yankees and the Sox. Its not like anyone else matters, and its not like anyone else would care. I mean, 90% of the world are Yankees and Red Sox fans. ;)

and 5% are mets, dodgers, tigers, cubs, white socks fans. All teams that can hold their own financially

He didn't need too, all I'm saying is if these billionaires dipped into their own pockets for lets just say $30 mill a year for 2-3 years they wouldn't miss the money and would see their team get better and the value of the franchise go up. They would fill up more seats, sell more jerseys and get a better tv contract.

so you want owners to pony up 60 mil of their own money??

Will never happen. Unless you had owners who were actually sports fans.

Plus, the tv contract for teams like the royals will never be very high due to market size. Advertisers will only pay so much money to advertise to a small tv market. The royals could be competitive for 10 years and never see 200 million total in tv revenues.

Problem for most people is they view everything as a fan instead of baseball being a business. Sports is about making money. Every team makes money (even if baseball lies about that). All baseball wants you to do is part with your money. If you get entertained... awesome. but thats not their goal

so you want owners to pony up 60 mil of their own money??

Will never happen. Unless you had owners who were actually sports fans.

Plus, the tv contract for teams like the royals will never be very high due to market size. Advertisers will only pay so much money to advertise to a small tv market. The royals could be competitive for 10 years and never see 200 million total in tv revenues.

Problem for most people is they view everything as a fan instead of baseball being a business. Sports is about making money. Every team makes money (even if baseball lies about that). All baseball wants you to do is part with your money. If you get entertained... awesome. but thats not their goal

Yeah I want these owners to pony up some cash in their own investments. It's not like they wont see that money back

In a perfect Jet forum, there would only be two posters. Me and Thor.

It's not like anyone elses opinion matters. And no one is as good looking as us ;)

I think this is a completely overblown non story.

There has been way too much credit given to the Yanks for paying attention to the farm system the past two seasons after a decade of not doing so. Right now we only have a good feeling that the young NY pitchers will be above average to very good Major Leaguers.

Offensively, only Cano projects in that manner though there is the chance Melky also improves. The Tabata's and Austin Jackson's are just hype right now and until they prove otherwise, can't be considered anything more than the Eric Duncan's of the Yankee system.

The other owners around MLB just need to spend a little more in order to avoid the scenario projected in the story. It's not as if there aren't already teams with better or just as good young players right now. For my money I'd take the Brewers young nucleus right now as they all for the most part have reached the Major League level and had success.

The Dodgers and Angels are also both very strong young players wise and both are also big market teams with cash to burn. Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers may be the best pitching prospect in baseball.

I think this is a completely overblown non story.

There has been way too much credit given to the Yanks for paying attention to the farm system the past two seasons after a decade of not doing so. Right now we only have a good feeling that the young NY pitchers will be above average to very good Major Leaguers.

Offensively, only Cano projects in that manner though there is the chance Melky also improves. The Tabata's and Austin Jackson's are just hype right now and until they prove otherwise, can't be considered anything more than the Eric Duncan's of the Yankee system.

The other owners around MLB just need to spend a little more in order to avoid the scenario projected in the story. It's not as if there aren't already teams with better or just as good young players right now. For my money I'd take the Brewers young nucleus right now as they all for the most part have reached the Major League level and had success.

The Dodgers and Angels are also both very strong young players wise and both are also big market teams with cash to burn. Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers may be the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Yup.

The Yankees along with a couple of other clubs have avoided the slotting system that is in place within the draft, and to their benefit and smarts, have had players drop to them because of what agents represented those players.

Not all the players, some of them.

They have had talent drop to them, and been willing to pay extra for that talent. Give them credit for that. I had heard the Mets may start doing it, and it would benefit them as well.

It's not like anyone elses opinion matters. And no one is as good looking as us ;)

We'd need JonE, too. You know, someone to keep us grounded.

I may not be as beautiful as you two ladies, but my opinion is far superior and matters most of all. :P

Archived