Was Lemieux better than Gretzky?

TomShane

Gretsky had the phenomenal numbers all the time but I always thought that Lemieux was the best player I have ever seen. His size and strength around the net, I thought, always made him a little more valuable to a squad that Gretzky's finesse. Of course, Gretz was a phenom who moved like no one else ever has on a pair of skates, but he was always so soft it killed me.

Thoughts?

Bobby Clarke was the best center and all around scrappy player of all time. Gretzky/Mario were/are more finesse players (sissies). :roll:

HAD TO love the Broad Street Bullies. Clarke played the game the way it was meant to be played. Lemieux was still better than him.

Bobby Clarke was the best center and all around scrappy player of all time. Gretzky/Mario were/are more finesse players (sissies). :roll:

Coming from Broad Street Bullies lends a lot of class to hockey I guess

What exactly are you saying? :box:

Flyers couldn't have won without Bobby Clarke (now the 2nd greatest GM in sports). Stanley Cup Champions 74 and 75. :win:

Who is better to promote the game of hockey- a gap toothed Bobby Clarke that can not run a franchise or Gretzky a great offensive player that made all stars out of his teammates but can not run a franchise either?

Wayne Gretzky was the smartest man to ever lace up the skates. Bar none. He has the highest HOckey IQ out of anyone who's ever played the game. He had great ice vision, tons of talent, and didn't have to get physical. If you don't have to, why bother?

Mario, on the other hand, was a physical freak, when he came into the NHL. He was big, fast, and had the moves. He was the Michael Jordan of Hockey.

While I think Mario was the more talented one, Wayne was the better player.

And, Bobby Clarke was a thug :P

What exactly are you saying? :box:

Flyers couldn't have won without Bobby Clarke (now the 2nd greatest GM in sports). Stanley Cup Champions 74 and 75. :win:

And it's been 30 years of Hockey Misery in Philadelphia ever since.

Two Words: Eric Lindros

As far as the Mario/Gretzky debate, its hard to tell whether Lemieux could of put up numbers at least close to Gretzky's. He lost 3 years to Hodgskin's disease, in the middle of his prime too.

But Gretzky was like no other, but play into your 50s and then you can be as good as Gordie Howe. :mrgreen:

Archived