Trade the 6th for Dallas' 2 1sts

TNJet

Top rookies have a much bigger impact in the NBA, but they're clever enough to have a rookie cap. The NFL needs to get one in place, too. You can bet that veterans want to see it done, so that the players who've already proven they can do it in the big leagues get paid before these potential busts do.

THIS I agree with.

I can't believe there isn't one; it's in the interest of both the nflpa and the owners. Makes no sense. The nflpa represents current nfl players who are in the league because of what they have done in the nfl. The draft is a bunch of kids getting paid because they were good at the college level & who may be total flops in the pros. The nflpa doesn't represent players who aren't in the nfl yet so why should they be concerned if Jamarcus Russell gets $60M to do nothing while a solid pro gets a $3M/yr contract & shows up every day, performing a legit starter level.

Salary cap = same.

More of the $ going to veterans than rookies who haven't done anything yet.

Less $ risk invested in a rookie who may be a total bust.

Rookies at the top may even be less likely to be busts b/c they won't have that enormous payday before accomplishing anything in the NFL = better product on the field.

Everyone wins.

I don't buy that for a minute. If that was truly the motivation then no GM would draft an offensive lineman or interior defensive lineman. All of the top 5-10 picks would be QB's, RB's, WR's, and maybe pass rushers.

Truthfully, compared to whoever the starting QB is (regardless of round drafted), how many Robertson or Ferguson jerseys did the Jets sell? I'll wager anything they sold 5x more Pennington jerseys than both of those two combined.

Any GM who - like Bradway did with DRob - jumps on a top 5 pick to stir media attention & get fans temporarily excited has no business in that field of employment. It certainly doesn't come down from the owner, who has to pay these prospects - and they are only prospects - like established superstars.

Basically, I don't think an owner is ever happy to draft a bust or near-bust & accepted as the trade-off that there was once a swelter of media attention & accolades. I doubt very much that Reggie Bush has made $50M more for the N.O. franchise than an actual good player - or the 2+ good players they might have gotten if they traded down. Because in the end, there's just as much bad press later on as there was good press initially. Our own DRob is a prime example.

Sperm, part of the reason top 10 rookies make so much more in comparaision to 2nd round rookies is the hype....

A GMs worst fear isnt picking a player like DMC or Reggie Bush and watching them bust... its passing on a player like DMC or Reggie Bush and watching them become HOFamers..

That way when push comes to shove the owner cant blame the GM as "everyone" thought said player would be good at the time..

GMs try to keep their jobs.... What happens if the Jets trade DMC to Dallas for 2 picks and DMC lives up to the hype?? Tanny is going to have that on his resume for life...

Are rookie contracts outrageous?? Very much so, but thats what happens when the NFL draft becomes a yearly event that every fan looks forward too.. Im not saying its right.. Im just saying thats the reason why rookies are paid so much..

If the NFL Draft wasnt on TV I guarantee rookie contracts wouldnt be as outrageous..

Is there any mystery why top hockey and baseball draft picks dont get paid nearly as much as NFL and NBA???

Hype.. my friend.. Hype.. and Marketability

Hey... Ive been a lurker for a while, but this thread actually made me register...

Sperm, I understand your point but you have to understand that the NFL owners allowed rookie contracts to get this outrageous for a reason...

Top 5-10 picks are worth more to franchises than simply onfield success.. They are sell jerseys, cause media attention, and most importantly get fans excited.

Look how excited the city of New Orleans was when Reggie Bush fell to them? Has he lived up to his big contract? No Way! but im sure the New Orleans Saints have netted some serious profits on Reggie Bush...

Im aware that New Orleans/Reggie Bush is an unique situation, and fans dont usually get that excited over a draft pick, but the NFL is a business and trust me any type of buzz/publiciity is good for a business..

great post.

I don't buy that for a minute. If that was truly the motivation then no GM would draft an offensive lineman or interior defensive lineman. All of the top 5-10 picks would be QB's, RB's, WR's, and maybe pass rushers.

Truthfully, compared to whoever the starting QB is (regardless of round drafted), how many Robertson or Ferguson jerseys did the Jets sell? I'll wager anything they sold 5x more Pennington jerseys than both of those two combined.

Any GM who - like Bradway did with DRob - jumps on a top 5 pick to stir media attention & get fans temporarily excited has no business in that field of employment. It certainly doesn't come down from the owner, who has to pay these prospects - and they are only prospects - like established superstars.

Basically, I don't think an owner is ever happy to draft a bust or near-bust & accepted as the trade-off that there was once a swelter of media attention & accolades. I doubt very much that Reggie Bush has made $50M more for the N.O. franchise than an actual good player - or the 2+ good players they might have gotten if they traded down. Because in the end, there's just as much bad press later on as there was good press initially. Our own DRob is a prime example.

I think you missed the point of his post. You are assuming the Saints knew Bush was not going to live up to his hype. Of course New Orleans wanted Bush to be the next gayle sayers, the jersey sales, and the jump in their fan base/media attention were just icing on the cake.

It would not work that way in every city. The Jets are already in a huge media market and will sell jerseys regardless of who are wearing them, it's the teams like Kansas City, New Orleans, Green Bay that need the big names some times.

I'm not saying GM's make their moves based on jersies by any means, but it doesn't hurt having a hyped up player, a player live up to the hype, and the fans to be excited about it.

Sperm, part of the reason top 10 rookies make so much more in comparaision to 2nd round rookies is the hype....

A GMs worst fear isnt picking a player like DMC or Reggie Bush and watching them bust... its passing on a player like DMC or Reggie Bush and watching them become HOFamers..

That way when push comes to shove the owner cant blame the GM as "everyone" thought said player would be good at the time..

GMs try to keep their jobs.... What happens if the Jets trade DMC to Dallas for 2 picks and DMC lives up to the hype?? Tanny is going to have that on his resume for life...

Are rookie contracts outrageous?? Very much so, but thats what happens when the NFL draft becomes a yearly event that every fan looks forward too.. Im not saying its right.. Im just saying thats the reason why rookies are paid so much..

If the NFL Draft wasnt on TV I guarantee rookie contracts wouldnt be as outrageous..

Is there any mystery why top hockey and baseball draft picks dont get paid nearly as much as NFL and NBA???

Hype.. my friend.. Hype.. and Marketability

The NFL and NBA are more predictable with their draft picks. It's just "easier" to see who is going to make the transition from HS or college to pro with greater success. Even the top pick in the baseball draft is never on a MLB roster right away. They're still in the minors for a while (usually). Some for a year or two; some for three; whatever. Then when they make it out of the minors, THEN they are considered rookies. But NBA and NFL rookies are on the team, frequently contributing AS rookies. By the time you're 3 years detached from the draft, NBA/NFL players are often superstars. How often does that happen in MLB? And hockey is just unwatchable unless you played the sport yourself. It's soccer - earth's most boring sport - with the fast forward button pressed down.

I wouldn't know what a GM's greatest fear is. My guess is the greatest fear wouldn't be one player working out or not - or it shouldn't be anyway. But rather it should be the team sucking for a string of years under his watch. If they don't have the stones to make tough decisions, then go switch to a job where judgment calls are not necessary.

Jones doesn't want McFadden, and said he will not trade up. (Could be smokescreen)

I'm not sold on Kelly, I'd prefer Manningham or Sweed.

I'm definitely not sold on Flacco..especially in the first round. Give me a Henne later in the draft if QB is where they want to go.

The 6th pick is worth gold right now, due to the fact that there are so many stud players at the top of this draft. I've got to see how the draft plays out before I trade, which means wait for draft day.

Manningham is a complete POT HEAD!

All the way. Then get Malcolm Kelly the receiver from Oklahoma. That is who I want in the first,someone to stay healthy and catch some friggin passes. Get defensive help in rnd2 and4. Give Jones McFadden like he wants. Kelly at 22 and then Flacco at 28. We will need a decent backup for Clemens incase he gets hurt or just starts sucking it up,and because Chad will be history after he fails to beat out Kellen this year. Kelly,Coles,Cotchery,B.Smith,Kellen,Flacco,nice group on offense. And then maybe Groves with our 37th,for our olb. Thoughts?

if we trade #6, we need to have a MUCH better plan than reaching on Flacco.

Archived