3 years later

Blackout

No error on Newbury St.: A-Rod saves boy from truck

By Yvonne Abraham and Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | April 15, 2005

''It was more like a brush with God," said the Edgartown man, whose son, Patrick, was pulled from the path of a utility truck on Newbury Street on Wednesday afternoon.

His savior?

None other than Alex Rodriguez, also known as A-Rod, also known as one of the most reviled Yankees in Red Sox Nation.

Here's how it played out: Several hours before Wednesday's game, Patrick, 8, and Rodriguez were crossing Newbury Street in opposite directions when a utility truck came careening round the corner from Arlington Street. The truck seemed headed straight for the boy. The third baseman sprang into action, scooping the boy up just in time, depositing him safely on the curb.

''You OK, buddy?" Rodriguez asked, according to the elder McCarthy.

Patrick McCarthy explained to WHDH-TV that a van blocked his view, ''so I couldn't see a car coming, so I walked across the street because it said, like, the walk sign.

''And this guy just puts his hand in front of me and says 'Whoa, buddy, watch out.' So we looked up and we saw, we were like 'Is that A-Rod?"'

His father said that Patrick re''was just blown away, that he looks up and sees it's Alex Rodriguez."

''I'm Patrick McCarthy," said Patrick McCarthy.

''I'm Alex Rodriguez," said Alex Rodriguez.

It turns out the younger McCarthy, like the rest of his Yankees season ticket-holding family, happens to be a fan of the New Yorkers. Forty games at Yankee Stadium under his little belt already. A huge fan.

They chatted for a bit. The boy told Rodriguez he'd be pitching for the Yankees one day. Rodriguez, who had a much-publicized flirtation with the Red Sox before last season, seemed impressed. He introduced the boy to a couple of his teammates who happened to be nearby, first baseman Tino Martinez and the Big Unit, aka pitcher Randy Johnson.

''It all happened in 2

Archived