Today's Pro Days - Merling and Kelly

#27TheDominator

Merling supposedly did a limited 45 minute workout and showed well. No times were released. If anybody hears anything please post it. This is his first workout and his times are probably fairly important. About half the league had a rep there and the Redskins had about 10 people attend.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/04/phillip_merling_and_malcolm_ke.html

Malcolm Kelly also has/had another private workout/pro day and like Merling, the 'skins are very interested. They even sent Campbell to throw to him. Should be taking place shortly. Any news welcome.

If we trade down, I would love the idea of either Stewart at RB or Merling at OLB. The only reasons that either of those prospects aren't considered to be top 10-15 is because of injuries IMO. I'd definetly be willing to take a risk on either of them in the right place.

If we trade down, I would love the idea of either Stewart at RB or Merling at OLB. The only reasons that either of those prospects aren't considered to be top 10-15 is because of injuries IMO. I'd definetly be willing to take a risk on either of them in the right place.

He's a DE.

Run stopping point of attack 3-4 DE. Not much pass rush.

I think you are exactly right. He is a good fit at 3-4 DE, with upside. He's a lunchpail kind of guy who gets into the backfield in a controlled way (unlike Robertson and Barton who always seem to be in the backfield but somewhere other than the path of the RB).

The mocks have him going somewhere b/w #17 (but that was MIN, before the trade) and #24 (TEN) or later. The injury (sports hernia) makes his draft slot a bit of a mystery.

I think you are exactly right. He is a good fit at 3-4 DE, with upside. He's a lunchpail kind of guy who gets into the backfield in a controlled way (unlike Robertson and Barton who always seem to be in the backfield but somewhere other than the path of the RB).

The mocks have him going somewhere b/w #17 (but that was MIN, before the trade) and #24 (TEN) or later. The injury (sports hernia) makes his draft slot a bit of a mystery.

Well, the 'skins pick at 21. They had around 10 guys at the workout including Snyder and Zorn. They certainly seem interested. According to aol sports he'll be their pick, unless it's a smokescreen.

Redskins Either Like Phillip Merling or Want Other Teams to Think They Like Phillip Merling

michael-david-smithPosted Apr 24th 2008 8:03PM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: Redskins, NFL Draft, Washington, DC

phillipmerling.jpgWith less than 48 hours to go before the NFL draft, you can drive yourself crazy trying to divine the thought processes of the 32 NFL teams. So take this with the usual grain of salt:

The entire Washington Redskins brain trust -- owner Dan Snyder, coach Jim Zorn, personnel man Vinny Ceratto -- traveled to the campus of Clemson today to watch the workout conducted by defensive end Phillip Merling. Why, you ask, is Merling doing a workout this close to the draft? Because he was injured and couldn't participate at the combine, and this is the first time he's been healthy enough to go through a full workout at full speed.

The Redskins were far from the only team present at the workout, but they were the only team that brought all of its high-level officials. That's a strong sign that they're very, very interested in drafting him in the first round on Saturday.

Or is it a strong sign that they want other teams to think they're targeting Merling because they're actually interested in someone else? Who knows? But my guess is that Merling will be the Redskins' pick.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/PhillipMerling/

Archived