" Perfect (sense) 10: Moves that should happen on draft weekend " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Posted: Tuesday April 22, 2008 12:57PM; Updated: Tuesday April 22, 2008 4:09PM

Don Banks > INSIDE THE NFL

Perfect (sense) 10: Moves that should happen on draft weekend

As the draft-week intrigue starts to build and our final mock draft looms (version 7.0 hits the site Friday), predictions of what's about to unfold are everywhere. But as I survey the NFL landscape in late April, here are 10 moves I think make too much sense not to make. I'm not saying these all will happen, but I think they should:

~ ~ ~ 9. The Jets draft Matt Ryan: While the latest buzz has Ryan going to the No. 3 Falcons, I still think Atlanta would be wiser to take Dorsey with its first pick and use some of its three second-round selections as ammo to land either Brohm, Henne or Flacco late in the opening round.Doing it that way, the Falcons could almost certainly add an impact player on both sides of the ball at the top of their draft. Taking the quarterback at No. 3 means it's unlikely they'd be able to affect their defense as dramatically in Round 2 as Dorsey would in Round 1.But New York isn't in the same position as Atlanta, and has to get better quarterback play if it has any hopes of closing the gap on the Patriots in the AFC East. Chad Pennington is on borrowed time with the Jets, and Kellen Clemens remains a question mark who came at the price of a second-round pick in 2006. If the Jets are as high on Ryan as indications allow, and he makes it to their No. 6 slot, they should pull the trigger and not think twice.

> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/22/10.moves/1.html

ya know Don Banks is really irritating me this year. why would the Jets draft Ryan. I get that they like him, but to do that after all the moves they've made this year makes them look like a bunch of fools.

The only way a QB can be gauged as to have "IT" is when they have talent around them.

Now Clemens has protection and talent.

Pennington has only been successful with good protection and HE CAN THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD.

drafting Ryan is asinine.

I still think Atlanta would be wiser to take Dorsey with its first pick and use some of its three second-round selections as ammo to land either Brohm, Henne or Flacco late in the opening round.

I believe that's what Atlanta would like to do, problem is that Dorsey's most likely the next guy off the board. So what do they do then? I'd love for them to take Ryan. That would leave either Long, Gholston, or McFadden for the Jets. I think they'll aggressively look to move down, though.

Pennington has only been successful with good protection and HE CAN THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD.

Mangold is good and all, but i don't think he can give chad enough room/time to have the running start that he requires.

Here it is without the 'dig my picks fanfare"

1. Jake Long.. Miami.. I know I'm right on this one!

2. Glenn Dorsey St Louis..fits there "D"

3. Matt Ryan - Atlanta..Word is Blank's in love.

4. D. Mac.. Oakland..Crazy Al can't pass on Run DMC

5. S. Ellis.. KC..Barbecue Herm and his Tampa Two 3 techinque..its a lock

6. C. Long.. Jets..solid pick with a motor Vernon G does not possess

7. V. Gholston.. Pats..if there's a God ,he'll be the biggest dog of all time.

Archived