How the QB affects the running game...

ECURB

OK now most of the "great" football minds here think that starting Chad will cause the running game to suffer for many reasons... (8 in the box) (no deep ball) ect ect

Lets actually look at the #'s... (just a gauge to go by based on a great JET RB... Martin averaged 4.0 ypc)

Over 10 games started by Chad Pennington, Thomas Jones averaged 3.8ypc.

Over 6 games started by Kellen Clemens, Thomas Jones averaged 3.6ypc.

I think this whole blaming the JETS running game struggles being based on Chad starting is BS... its a scheme and personnel issue... Chad was QB when the JETS had the NFL's leading rusher...

I dont think the running game will change much regardless of the QB... and with that in mind the smart choice for Mangini to go with Chad...

He will have big money FA's that want to WIN week one... not week 5 and put up with a learning curve... there is a good chance the JETS get 10-12 wins with Chad as QB this year...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably because teams will stack the box even more so vs the unproven Clemens. Big arm or not he's basically Joey Harrington to NFL Defenses, they have no reason to show him any respect until he's proven himself. Not saying that will not happen but until he does, he will face 8 in the box.

OK now most of the "great" football minds here think that starting Chad will cause the running game to suffer for many reasons... (8 in the box) (no deep ball) ect ect

Lets actually look at the #'s... (just a gauge to go by based on a great JET RB... Martin averaged 4.0 ypc)

I think this whole blaming the JETS running game struggles being based on Chad starting is BS... its a scheme and personnel issue... Chad was QB when the JETS had the NFL's leading rusher...

I dont think the running game will change much regardless of the QB... and with that in mind the smart choice for Mangini to go with Chad...

He will have big money FA's that want to WIN week one... not week 5 and put up with a learning curve... there is a good chance the JETS get 10-12 wins with Chad as QB this year...

Chad pennington is entrenched in a 6 year learning curve

So your saying teams DONT stack the box against Pennington? Teams KNOW where not throwin deep w/ Chad. Trust me those numbers will drastically change this year.

Teams stacked the box against THE JETS... regardless of the QB... becuase opf the playcalling and lack of Oline talent...

Chad always had mid 7's for YPA... like most good NFL QB's... since the Oline has sucked and playcalling went down hill his YPA has gone into the 6's...

This year his YPA and the running game will go right back up to a level that will score more points...

Teams stacked the box against THE JETS... regardless of the QB... becuase opf the playcalling and lack of Oline talent...

Chad always had mid 7's for YPA... like most good NFL QB's... since the Oline has sucked and playcalling went down hill his YPA has gone into the 6's...

This year his YPA and the running game will go right back up to a level that will score more points...

If the running game can be as good as I hope it will be now that Faneca and Woody are here. I expect us to utilize play action much, much more. That is something Chad is actually very good at. If that can happen consistently for us, then we're a playoff team no question.

The Jets RBs had a higher YPC with Clemens at QB.

Great thread.

Bad data analysis here.

Why? You're assuming Clemens is a deep ball threat. Fact is, he's extremely inaccurate with the deep ball, so he doesn't pose much more of a threat going deep than Pennington did. Also, the game against NE, Clemens played 1 play, yet you count the entire game for him.

A QB that can stretch the field (and WRs that can help... something we definitely do not have) helps a running game.

Bottom line is Chad sucks, and unless we want another mediocre season we should leave him alone.

No amount of numbers and comparissons is gonna change the fact that he's a lame duck.

I would love Clemens to beat out Chad in camp but does anyone seriously see that happening???

Mangini clearly loves Pennington and IMO seems to have a problem with KC, otherwise he definetly would have turned to Clemens much earlier last season.

Bad data analysis here.

Why? You're assuming Clemens is a deep ball threat. Fact is, he's extremely inaccurate with the deep ball, so he doesn't pose much more of a threat going deep than Pennington did. Also, the game against NE, Clemens played 1 play, yet you count the entire game for him.

A QB that can stretch the field (and WRs that can help... something we definitely do not have) helps a running game.

I did not count either NE game for Kellen...

Bottom line is Chad sucks, and unless we want another mediocre season we should leave him alone.

No amount of numbers and comparissons is gonna change the fact that he's a lame duck.

The point is Clemens isnt any better at this point and the JETS have a playoff caliber team....

Fact is, he's extremely inaccurate with the deep ball, so he doesn't pose much more of a threat going deep than Pennington did.

Fact? Based upon what? The half dozen times they threw the ball deep all season with nobody who could get deep?

The point is Clemens isnt any better at this point and the JETS have a playoff caliber team....

Well I guess we're simply going to have to see in preseason, I have a hunch we'll be seeing more of that 'questionable' 5th round pick guy that everyone on here seems to hate.

she speaks the truth.....

The truth is, the Jets offense faced 8 in the box with either QB last year, for 2 reasons.

1. Chad cant beat a defense over the top

2. Clemens was a struggling 1st year starter.

The bad news is Chad still cant beat a defense over the top. Cuz he blows.

The good news is Clemens has the ability to beat a defense over the top and in time he could become a good QB.

Pick your guy. I'll go with the unknown Clemens and not the guy who we know is a 1 legged dog in a fight.

The point is after 6 years playing Chad only has downside left while Clemens only has upside potential.

The point is after 6 years playing Chad only has downside left while Clemens only has upside potential.

Clemens can go up or down...

Chad is what he is...

Mangini has his job on the line and knows Chad can score him 10+ wins with a decent team... he doesnt know if Kellen will win it all or get him fired...

Pennington's opponents and their run defense ranking:

NWE 10

MIA 32

BUF 25

NYG 8

PHI 7

CIN 21

BUF 25

NWE 10

TEN 5

Average - 26th

Clemens:

BAL 2

WAS 4

PIT 3

DAL 6

MIA 32

CLE 27

KC 28

Average - 18th

I agree, great thread.

PS, I beat your bat punch and counterstrike scores, noob.

This I can agree with . For 2008 and 2008 alone, I think Pennington is the better QB. However, I agree, teams know his limitations, and they can attack them.

With Clemens, teams also know his weaknesses. Were they because it was his 1st yr of starting like some believe? Could be. I'm not a believer of this all of a sudden after playing 1 yr you wake up and you're 10X the player. I would have liked to see a new QB on the roster, but the Jets were smart, I thought, for not reaching for Flacco or Brohm. If they couldn't get Ryan, go with what we have.

NWE 10

MIA 32

BUF 25

NYG 8

PHI 7

CIN 21

BUF 25

NWE 10

TEN 5

Average - 26th

Clemens:

BAL 2

WAS 4

PIT 3

DAL 6

MIA 32

CLE 27

KC 28

Average - 18th

I agree, great thread.

PS, I beat your bat punch and counterstrike scores, noob.

What are those based on? NE is better than was pit and dal... lol

My point is... Chad doesnt hurt the running game..

Chad is what he is...

Mangini has his job on the line and knows Chad can score him 10+ wins with a decent team... he doesnt know if Kellen will win it all or get him fired...

How does he KNOW this based on Chad horrible play of last year?

Chad is what he is...

Be careful. In your never ending Chad propaganda, the truth actually slips out sometimes. Chad is what he is. With all of the improvements the Jets have made, Chad could lead them to a winning season. And a first round playoff exit. And Kellen may be able to win it all or flop. He will not get Mangini fired. Mangini isn't trying to just build a respectable team. He is trying to build a champion. If Clemens does not turn out to be the guy, they will look for someone else. Chad is not the guy to lead them to a championship.

Jetstone the one trick pony strikes again, ever plunging his tongue deeper and deeper into Chad's anus.

What are those based on? NE is better than was pit and dal... lol

My point is... Chad doesnt hurt the running game..

Those numbers are based on total rushing yards allowed. But if you like, here are numbers based on the stat you used, yards/attempt

NWE 26th

MIA 29

BUF 26

NYG 4

PHI 4

CIN 20

BUF 26

NWE 26

TEN 13

Average - 20th

Clemens:

BAL 1

WAS 3

PIT 13

DAL 13

MIA 29

CLE 29

KC 23

Average - 13th

The averages are based on the other teams' actual yards/att average and how it compares to everyone else, not the average of the other teams' ranks.

Those numbers are based on total rushing yards allowed. But if you like, here are numbers based on the stat you used, yards/attempt

NWE 26th

MIA 29

BUF 26

NYG 4

PHI 4

CIN 20

BUF 26

NWE 26

TEN 13

Average - 20th

Clemens:

BAL 1

WAS 3

PIT 13

DAL 13

MIA 29

CLE 29

KC 23

Average - 13th

The averages are based on the other teams' actual yards/att average and how it compares to everyone else, not the average of the other teams' ranks.

Archived