Gould signs five year extenstion worth $15.5 million

Maybe in Nugent's next deal, he can hold out and force the Jets to throw in 2 seats in the club level for 124 so he'll stop whining?

Either that, or get him a tryout with the Flight Crew... he whines like a girl already. :)

Only a matter of time before Nuge sees a deal thats similar to this. ;)

In all honesty I think the Jets will re-sign Nuge before March 1st to a 3 or 4 year deal worth somewhere around $7-9 million.

Nugent is a good kicker and you can't fault him for where he was drafted......However, you never never never never never never never never never never never never never never

EVER

take a kicker on the first day of the draft. Well, with the new draft format, I should say before the fourth round of the draft.

I'd like to see Nugent into the 90% range on FG's 30-39 yds before giving him a "real football player" sized contract.

He's a decent kicker though.

He's great as long as you never count the first game of the season. He turns into Charlie Brown on Opening Day and then kicks well the rest of the year. I'd take him over most of the kickers in the league -I don't know about $3 mill a year for a kicker though.

people love to talk about how kickers are overvalued and how the Jets screwed up by picking Nugent in the 2nd round

but some things should be made clear when discussing this player

1) the Jets traded out of the first round that year and got an extra 2nd pick - so the Nugent pick was essentially house money.

2) this was the offseason after Doug brien's meltdown at Pittsburgh. After that he went to CHI and melted down again. Gould eventually replaced him but the point is the Jets had to do something with that situation.

3) the peace of mind that Nugent is clutch enough to handle gamewinning situations is worth every penny he gets and the draft pick used. I love the draft as much as the next guy (maybe more) but Picks are just picks and Jets fans have grown spoiled by the lack of a real true draft bust since the Kotite era. For the record, underperforming starters are not busts. guys like demitrius underwood, eugene chung and ryan leaf are busts.

4) oh and by the way Nugent was the most highly rating kicking prospect for a decade. There is no nugent in this year's draft, next year's draft or even further than that. Most kickers go UDFA not because the position is undervalued but because it is extremely rare to have a player like Nugent with such a strong kicking resume coming out of school.

Remember that special teams are in fact 1/3 of the game. It's an equal 1/3 with defense and offense, lack of a competant special teams will cause bad losses at the worst times. Playoffs especially a great kicker can make all the difference - there is no NE dynasty without Adam V.

people love to talk about how kickers are overvalued and how the Jets screwed up by picking Nugent in the 2nd round

but some things should be made clear when discussing this player

1) the Jets traded out of the first round that year and got an extra 2nd pick - so the Nugent pick was essentially house money.

It's only "house money" if you eliminate our use of a first round pick to acquire that second round pick.

Nugent's fine. But that was an idiotic thing to do, Doug Brien or not. Undrafted guys like...oh, Robbie Gould...were available that year.

Losing a nose tackle and right tackle in the same off-season, and we use our first rounder on a kicker and a TE who was behind the great Teyo Johnson on the Raiders depth chart.

There is no rationalization for a team in that situation doing what the Jets did, and I know you know better.

It's only "house money" if you eliminate our use of a first round pick to acquire that second round pick.

consider they were locked in on JMiller at 26 anyway, they got him a round later.

Nugent's fine. But that was an idiotic thing to do, Doug Brien or not. Undrafted guys like...oh, Robbie Gould...were available that year.

for every Robbie Gould there are 20 guys who stink, it's a tough way to find talent, very far from a sure thing.

There is no rationalization for a team in that situation doing what the Jets did, and I know you know better.

the situation was an 11 win team that was 2 missed kicks from the AFC Championship game. Doug Brien is the justification.

As for what I know, having played the game in high school and college, I can relate first hand the frustration of playing hard for 59 minutes and losing because the jerk who looks like a soccer player chokes in the 60th minute. Kicker may not be as important as Defensive End or Quarterback but like those positions you can't win without one.

If they were locked in on Miller at #26, surely they would have taken him ahead of Nugent in round 2. "We'll take him if he's still there at #26. But if he lasts to #47 we'll pass on him unless he drops down to #57, at which point we will then covet him again." - how much sense does that make? Other than the Jets showing interest in Miller before the draft, and then taking him at the very bottom of round 2, there are nothing but rumors and assumptions that suggest we were taking Miller at #26. If he was our guy at #26, we'd have taken him at #47 without a second thought.

And once the team lost its nose tackle and right tackle (both of whom were total studs for the '04 Jets)

and its franchise QB underwent surgery for a torn labrum barely 2 months earlier (with a totally unknown prognosis), they ceased to be that 11-win team anymore.

To assume otherwise, which they did, was the epitome of idiocy.

Archived