Green Bay RB Herron foils burglary with bed post

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packers running back Noah Herron thwarted a would-be burglar by hitting him with a bed post during a break-in at his home.

Brown County Sheriff Dennis Kocken said Tuesday that the break-in happened late last Friday and the injured the intruder remained hospitalized but is expected to recover.

"Noah Herron used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force in protecting his life and property," Kocken said in a statement. "Herron, the victim in this random home invasion, is cooperating with law enforcement."

Herron, 26, missed all of last season with a knee injury.

Chief Deputy John Gossage said Herron called police at 11:19 p.m. Friday after he heard glass breaking in the lower level of his suburban Green Bay home. He said an unknown number of people had entered the house.

One of the intruders entered Herron's bedroom, and Herron hit the person with a post he had unscrewed from his bed, Gossage said. Herron was not injured.

The injured burglar was taken to a hospital, and a second suspect was arrested outside the home, Gossage said.

Stolen property and a vehicle believed taken earlier Friday from another home were found near Herron's home, Gossage said. The two people in custody are suspects in numerous burglaries and home invasions throughout Brown County, he said.

Pittsburgh took Herron in the seventh round of the 2005 draft out of Northwestern. The Packers signed him off the Steelers' practice squad in 2005.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson released a statement Tuesday, saying the team knew about the break-in and had no comment.

It's too bad the burglars head didn't get severed and fly across the room. There is no more invasive non-physical contact crime than a home burglary. I am 100% in favor of the homeowner killing the burglar each and every time, no exceptions.

It's too bad the burglars head didn't get severed and fly across the room. There is no more invasive non-physical contact crime than a home burglary. I am 100% in favor of the homeowner killing the burglar each and every time, no exceptions.

when i heard this story yesterday i was thinking of the Sean Taylor burglary. Scary stuff that Heron would even confront them. You never know if the guy has a gun, but i am glad he was able to do what he did.

I agree. I think the only state that it is legal to use deadly force is Texas though.

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packers running back Noah Herron thwarted a would-be burglar by hitting him with a bed post during a break-in at his home.

Brown County Sheriff Dennis Kocken said Tuesday that the break-in happened late last Friday and the injured the intruder remained hospitalized but is expected to recover.

"Noah Herron used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force in protecting his life and property," Kocken said in a statement. "Herron, the victim in this random home invasion, is cooperating with law enforcement."

Chief Deputy John Gossage said Herron called police at 11:19 p.m. Friday after he heard glass breaking in the lower level of his suburban Green Bay home. He said an unknown number of people had entered the house.

One of the intruders entered Herron's bedroom, and Herron hit the person with a post he had unscrewed from his bed, Gossage said. Herron was not injured.

The injured burglar was taken to a hospital, and a second suspect was arrested outside the home, Gossage said.

Stolen property and a vehicle believed taken earlier Friday from another home were found near Herron's home, Gossage said. The two people in custody are suspects in numerous burglaries and home invasions throughout Brown County, he said.

Pittsburgh took Herron in the seventh round of the 2005 draft out of Northwestern. The Packers signed him off the Steelers' practice squad in 2005.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson released a statement Tuesday, saying the team knew about the break-in and had no comment.

GO NOAH ! make the criminal the victim...NOT YOU !

I agree. I think the only state that it is legal to use deadly force is Texas though.

I have been a police officer 23 years...Here in Tennessee you can use deadly force if someone breaks into your home...if you have reason to believe your life or someone else is in danger of death or serious bodily injury it is legal. Most officers I have spoken to state their area has the same...

If someone ends up in my house, I will immediately be in fear for my life and will use an axe or a steak knife to "defend" myself. It is one of the few instances where I could intentionally harm someone and then sit down very comfortably and watch the 11 o'clock news while munching on a snack.

What are the people in Florida going to do? Hurl their false teeth at the burglar? Hit them with their cane or walker? :)

My 70 year old mother lives in Palm Beach and packs a .38 special revolver loaded with hollow points. She doesn't stop pulling the trigger until after the gun is empty!

That is awesome! He's my new favorite non-Jet! :cheers:

My 70 year old mother lives in Palm Beach and packs a .38 special revolver loaded with hollow points. She doesn't stop pulling the trigger until after the gun is empty!

This I have to see. Please take her to a shooting range, make a video and post it on YouTube :)

I have been a police officer 23 years...Here in Tennessee you can use deadly force if someone breaks into your home...if you have reason to believe your life or someone else is in danger of death or serious bodily injury it is legal. Most officers I have spoken to state their area has the same...

but at the same time if the burglar trips and breaks his ankle in the house he is stealing from, he can turn around and sue you right? Strange laws.

Archived