GRUMPY GRIFFEY STILL DISHIN' BRONX JEERS

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06212008/sports/yankees/grumpy_griffey_still_dishin_bronx_jeers_116464.htm

June 21, 2008 -- Ken Griffey Jr. didn't make the walk out to Monument Park yesterday, and has no plans to do so this weekend.

He won't stop to smell the roses, because Griffey figures he will have to hold his nose.

"My favorite Yankee Stadium memory?" the Reds slugger said last night. "It's leaving Yankee Stadium."

Griffey is no fan of history, and no fan of the Yankees since Billy Martin, who has been dead for 17 years, yelled at a young Griffey while his dad, Ken Sr., was a member of the Bomberst.gif.

New York Yankees

Once, Junior said he would never play for the Yankees for that reason alone.

"The Reds haven't been here in 30 years," he said before the Reds' 4-2 victory last night. "For us it's a road trip we have to make, not something to look forward to."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06212008/sports/yankees/grumpy_griffey_still_dishin_bronx_jeers_116464.htm

June 21, 2008 -- Ken Griffey Jr. didn't make the walk out to Monument Park yesterday, and has no plans to do so this weekend.

He won't stop to smell the roses, because Griffey figures he will have to hold his nose.

"My favorite Yankee Stadium memory?" the Reds slugger said last night. "It's leaving Yankee Stadium."

Griffey is no fan of history, and no fan of the Yankees since Billy Martin, who has been dead for 17 years, yelled at a young Griffey while his dad, Ken Sr., was a member of the Bomberst.gif.

New York Yankees

Once, Junior said he would never play for the Yankees for that reason alone.

"The Reds haven't been here in 30 years," he said before the Reds' 4-2 victory last night. "For us it's a road trip we have to make, not something to look forward to."

That's the attitude you have to take as a competitor, unlike San Diego who treated their venture to the Bronx like its a field trip and taking pictures while they're getting their asses handed to them.

How could someone so successful and good at what he does be so miserable, whiny and unhappy? Griffeys deserves respect of his accomplishments, battling through injuries and being (as far as we know) clean. He will go into the HoF on the 1st ballot and it will be well-deserved. But a shame he cannot bring himself to stop and smell the roses. Because when he's done with baseball, baseball and it's fans will be done with him, spare those morons who chase old players to pay top dollar for autographs.

Kobe Bryant and Griffey-both sons of successful athletes in their sports-always seem to come off like playing their pro sport is such a burden to them. You would think they were digging ditches or working as garbagemen. Someone similar, Barry Bonds, only became more open and friendly at the very end, and due to other things, it was too late.

That's the attitude you have to take as a competitor, unlike San Diego who treated their venture to the Bronx like its a field trip and taking pictures while they're getting their asses handed to them.

Well you know, Yankee Stadium is no glorious garbage dump like Shea. Don't feel so bad because nobody wants pictures and or tours of that piece of ****.

As you said, not as bad as Shea and has much more and better history. Oh and more Championships. ;)

Mets could have bought 26 world championships too.

and for a stadium that is only 32 years old as opposed to 44 years old, and the treasure its supposed to be, Yankee stadium is a major disappointment.

and for a stadium that is only 32 years old as opposed to 44 years old, and the treasure its supposed to be, Yankee stadium is a major disappointment.

mets spend almost as much as yankees dont kid yourself

mets spend almost as much as yankees dont kid yourself

1998 Yankees- 74 million- Mets- $59 Million

1999 Yankees- 92 million- Mets- 72 million

2000 Yankees- 93 million- Mets- 80 Million

2001 Yankees- 110 Million- Mets- 93 Million

2002 Yankees- 126 Million- Mets- 95 Million

2003 Yankees- 153 Million- Mets- 117 Million

2004 Yankees- 183 Million- Mets- 101 Million

2005 Yankees- 208 Million- Mets- 101 Million

2006 Yankees- 195 Million- Mets- 101 Million

2007 Yankees- 190 Million- Mets- 115 Million

Mets HAVE NEVER been close to the Yankees in terms of payroll since the strike. Can we finally put that to rest? Thank You.

1985 Yankees- 15.4 Million, Mets- 11 million- Yankees highest payroll in baseball

1986 Yankees- 17.2 million, Mets- 13.6 million- Yankees 2nd highest- Braves #1 by $500,000

1987 Yankees- 18.6 Million, Mets- 14.1 Million- Yankees highest payroll

1988 Yankees- 21.5 Million, Mets 15.4 million- Yankees highest payroll

1989 Yankees- 18.4 Million, Mets 21.3 million- METS highest payroll

1990 Yankees- 19.3 million, Mets 21.8 million, Royals highest payroll 23.2 million

1991 Yankees- 31.3 million, Mets 32.4 million, A's highest payroll 39.9 million

1992 Yankees- 34.8 million, Mets 44.7 million, Blue Jays Highest payroll 49 million

1993 Yankees- 46.5 million, Mets 40.8 million, Blue Jays highest payroll 52 million

1994 Yankees- 47.5 million, Mets 31 million, Yankees highest payroll

1995 yankees- 58.1 million, Mets 23 million, Yankees highest payroll

1996 yankees- 61.5 million, Mets 29.9 million, Yankees highest payroll

1997 yankees- 73.3 million, Mets 35 million, Yankees highest payroll

1998- Orioles highest payroll by $200,000

1999- yankees highest payroll

2000- yankees highest payroll

2001- yankees highest payroll

2002- yankees highest payroll

2003- yankees highest payroll

2004- yankees highest payroll

2005- yankees highest payroll

2006 yankees highest payroll

2007 yankees highest payroll

23 years of payroll data, yankees highest payroll 16 times, Mets 1.

World Series winning years:

1996- highest

1998- 2nd

1999- highest

2000- highest.

1985 Yankees- 15.4 Million, Mets- 11 million- Yankees highest payroll in baseball

1986 Yankees- 17.2 million, Mets- 13.6 million- Yankees 2nd highest- Braves #1 by $500,000

1987 Yankees- 18.6 Million, Mets- 14.1 Million- Yankees highest payroll

1988 Yankees- 21.5 Million, Mets 15.4 million- Yankees highest payroll

1989 Yankees- 18.4 Million, Mets 21.3 million- METS highest payroll

1990 Yankees- 19.3 million, Mets 21.8 million, Royals highest payroll 23.2 million

1991 Yankees- 31.3 million, Mets 32.4 million, A's highest payroll 39.9 million

1992 Yankees- 34.8 million, Mets 44.7 million, Blue Jays Highest payroll 49 million

1993 Yankees- 46.5 million, Mets 40.8 million, Blue Jays highest payroll 52 million

1994 Yankees- 47.5 million, Mets 31 million, Yankees highest payroll

1995 yankees- 58.1 million, Mets 23 million, Yankees highest payroll

1996 yankees- 61.5 million, Mets 29.9 million, Yankees highest payroll

1997 yankees- 73.3 million, Mets 35 million, Yankees highest payroll

1998- Orioles highest payroll by $200,000

1999- yankees highest payroll

2000- yankees highest payroll

2001- yankees highest payroll

2002- yankees highest payroll

2003- yankees highest payroll

2004- yankees highest payroll

2005- yankees highest payroll

2006 yankees highest payroll

2007 yankees highest payroll

23 years of payroll data, yankees highest payroll 16 times, Mets 1.

World Series winning years:

1996- highest

1998- 2nd

1999- highest

2000- highest.

The Marlins have as many championships in their history as the Mets do.

/Thread KTHXBYE

The Marlins have as many championships in their history as the Mets do.

/Thread KTHXBYE

Yep. They sure do. By good trading and FA signings, unlike the Mets who throw sh!t against the window to see what sticks.

But then again, I don't live off past glories. What happened last year or 5 years ago doesnt matter anymore.

Its been 7 seasons since the great yankees have won. Its been a generation since the Mets won. I wouldnt crow too much. Thats sad for a team with the highest payroll and the most all stars.

If the Mets actually spent their money, maybe they could a better team on the field. In the end though, all the money in the world can't buy you a championship when you don't put the proper pieces together. Havn't you watched Baseball since 2001?

Give it up with the whole jealousy mark of "waaaaa waaaaaa you bought the rings! waaaaaaaaaaaa"

funniest thing about the story is that its true.. when my dad worked for the yankees back in the late 80's griffey would stay in his office with his brother eatting ice cream because he wasnt allowed in the club house..if i was him i would say the same thing even tho im a yankee fan..

If the Mets actually spent their money, maybe they could a better team on the field. In the end though, all the money in the world can't buy you a championship when you don't put the proper pieces together. Havn't you watched Baseball since 2001?

Give it up with the whole jealousy mark of "waaaaa waaaaaa you bought the rings! waaaaaaaaaaaa"

Guess you dont know me very well.

I have zero jealousy towards the yankees and the championships they won. truth is the yankees have bought their world championships.

I wish my team did too. Its just sad yankee fans cant accept the truth.

Yawn. Whine. Whine................;)

Whine? Why is it whining when someone points out the truth?

I am not jealous of the yankees. I dont care how many they won. The truth is the yankees have only won their world championships because of money.

Accept the truth yankee fans. Be proud your team spends its money and wins, not the bullcrap the lousy mets owners have pulled for 22 years.

I think you can make that argument 1977-present, but not those 50's teams (and older).

no... the 50's teams used the KC A's to get good talent.

and why was the draft enacted? Because teams like the Yankees could dominate the signing of amateur players. And why? Money.

No surprise once the draft was enacted the Yankees struggled for years.

Guess you dont know me very well.

I have zero jealousy towards the yankees and the championships they won. truth is the yankees have bought their world championships.

I wish my team did too. Its just sad yankee fans cant accept the truth.

Your team certainly has tried to do so

Well, they had already won 16 titles by the time Arnold Johnson bought the A's and moved them to KC...

How do you feel about the current Red Sox?

Yep... but they could outbid all other teams for amateurs... guess you missed that part in the post.

Red Sox- They became what they hated the most- the yankees. Like the Yankees did in the 90's, they developed young talent, made shrewd moves, and signed the right FA's.

Bronson Arroyo had a great quote today. He respects Steinbrenner because he puts baseball before profits. Neither the Mets nor Red Sox do that.

no... the 50's teams used the KC A's to get good talent.

and why was the draft enacted? Because teams like the Yankees could dominate the signing of amateur players. And why? Money.

No surprise once the draft was enacted the Yankees struggled for years.

Wow, great points. ;)

Branch Rickey plundered the Negro leagues to get the upper hand on the Yankees, and started up the farm system to stockpile potential talent.

There is alot of great history back then, but the Yankees fans on YSN Beer Money who answer "Derek Jeter" to every question don't know any of it.

:rl:

Wow, great points. ;)

Branch Rickey plundered the Negro leagues to get the upper hand on the Yankees, and started up the farm system to stockpile potential talent.

There is alot of great history back then, but the Yankees fans on YSN Beer Money who answer "Derek Jeter" to every question don't know any of it.

sad thing is we still dont have a world draft to even things out a bit. Every other league has it, but MLB.

Sure the NY teams have benefitted from this system for years, but it needs to change.

sad thing is we still dont have a world draft to even things out a bit. Every other league has it, but MLB.

Sure the NY teams have benefitted from this system for years, but it needs to change.

What are you saying, Cubans washing up on a Miami beach in a tire tube ande are immediately signed by Yankees scouts is an antiquated system?

Wow, great points. ;)

The Dodgers were so deep that they pretty much gave away Roberto Clemente.

And there were some bizarre financial arrangements that weren't widely known and would never fly today. Through the 1920s and 1930s, Jacob Ruppert held the mortgage on Fenway Park to prop up the Broadway shows of the Sawx' owners. And in the 1950s and 1960s, the owners of the KC Athletics held a mortgage on Yankee Stadium. In each case, players flowed from the Sawx and A's to the Yankees. Babe Ruth and Roger Maris were the 2 most prominent examples, but there were many others. But there was crazy crap like that going on since baseball started. The idea that there was some perfect age where everyone had an equal chance was a fantasy.

Check this out. Free agency, contract disputes, a-hole owners. There's nothing new.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-They-Aint-Untimely-Baltimore/dp/0385498829/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214265685&sr=1-1

The Dodgers were so deep that they pretty much gave away Roberto Clemente.

And there were some bizarre financial arrangements that weren't widely known and would never fly today. Through the 1920s and 1930s, Jacob Ruppert held the mortgage on Fenway Park to prop up the Broadway shows of the Sawx' owners. And in the 1950s and 1960s, the owners of the KC Athletics held a mortgage on Yankee Stadium. In each case, players flowed from the Sawx and A's to the Yankees. Babe Ruth and Roger Maris were the 2 most prominent examples, but there were many others. But there was crazy crap like that going on since baseball started. The idea that there was some perfect age where everyone had an equal chance was a fantasy.

Check this out. Free agency, contract disputes, a-hole owners. There's nothing new.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-They-Aint-Untimely-Baltimore/dp/0385498829/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214265685&sr=1-1

Great, great stuff, Bugg (as always). ;)

And I know that it goes without saying, that all my anti-Yankee trash talking is directed at the twenty something crowd.

Bugg is true, pinstripe blue Yankees fan. :cheers:

You are the real deal. But I got my reasons why I went confederate.

Archived