Fired Randolph 'did good job,' Mets owner says

JetNation

Let's not get carried away here.

no, he completely killed this team's mojo with boneheaded moves

i don't mind the trade for Johan but look at the year break downs

The year by year salary is: 2008: $19M, 2009: $20M, 2010: $21M, 2011: $22.5M, 2012: $24M, 2013: $25.5M, 2014(option): $25M, with a $5.5M buyout.

he'll only get paid more and more as he gets older

just wait til David wright gets traded away for a latin american player lol

not to me he wasnt. He isnt the worst GM in baseball, but far from the best.

He has made some questionable moves, but also some very good ones.

He's perfect for a middle of the road mediocre team

Minaya is a good GM. He got Santana and Maine, your two best starters, in exchange for table scraps and Anna Benson. The Mets were an absolute joke before Minaya got there. You had Steve Phillips passing up on Alex Rodriguez for Mo Vaughn.

The Mets are playing terrible right now but at least they have one thing they didn't have from 2001 until Minaya got there, pitching. The Mets are underachieving but they at least have a chance to turn it around if a few of the key players get their heads out of their ass.

This post is silly.

The Johan Santana trade was a no-brainer. Any GM in that position would have made the trade. As far as salary, that is the going rate for starter like Santana. He would get equal or more on the open market. He isn't exactly 35 years old. If I am not mistaken he just turned 29. Not terribly old and he seems to be in good shape and should be alright for a few more years,

When the Mets signed Pedro and gave him 4 years, I predicted he would have 2 Cy Young type seasons, then a falloff in year 3, with a small injury, then an injury-riddles year 4. I was way to conservative. Santana will be very effective for the first 3 years of his deal. In year 4, there will be a fall-off, and by year 6, a dramatic fall-off. He will be a salary albatross, with over $25 million on him, and not the best production. He will be bought out of the final year.

You heard it here first. Too many innings on that arm already. And the workload will not get any less this year or next, as the Mets try to make a run for it this year, and Omar tries to save his job next year.

When the Mets signed Pedro and gave him 4 years, I predicted he would have 2 Cy Young type seasons, then a falloff in year 3, with a small injury, then an injury-riddles year 4. I was way to conservative. Santana will be very effective for the first 3 years of his deal. In year 4, there will be a fall-off, and by year 6, a dramatic fall-off. He will be a salary albatross, with over $25 million on him, and not the best production. He will be bought out of the final year.

You heard it here first. Too many innings on that arm already. And the workload will not get any less this year or next, as the Mets try to make a run for it this year, and Omar tries to save his job next year.

That's speculation, just like anyone else's. There's really no basis for that. When the Mets signed Pedro he was past his prime. Santana is currently in his prime or going to his prime. I think most evaluators consider a baseball players prime years to be about 28-33. He probably will be dropping off by the 6th year as history would dictate, but why do you think he's just going to "fall off" by year 3.

For everyone who continue to kill the Mets and this contract, it really doesn't make any sense. He would probably have gotten more in an open market, so the contract should not even be an issue. Somehow I think jealousy plays some part in this. There is absolutely no team in this league who would not love to have Santana, salary aside.

That's speculation, just like anyone else's. There's really no basis for that. When the Mets signed Pedro he was past his prime. Santana is currently in his prime or going to his prime. I think most evaluators consider a baseball players prime years to be about 28-33. He probably will be dropping off by the 6th year as history would dictate, but why do you think he's just going to "fall off" by year 3.

For everyone who continue to kill the Mets and this contract, it really doesn't make any sense. He would probably have gotten more in an open market, so the contract should not even be an issue. Somehow I think jealousy plays some part in this. There is absolutely no team in this league who would not love to have Santana, salary aside.

"fall off" means a drop in performance. Based on his innings history, and his current usage, and expected usage in the near future, I predict that he will drop from "elite" to closer to average. I feel the same way about CC, although conditioning plays a bigger role with him. I would only give him a 4 year deal, at the highest AAV any Pitcher ever had. But no way do I give him a 7 year $126 million deal like Zito, or a deal like Santana.

Pitching is so fragile, that you can't lock yourself in like the Giants did with Zito. At least the Mets have Pedro coming off the books, to make it somewhat palatable. But I think they will not be happy campers with the length of his contract by the last couple of years.

"fall off" means a drop in performance. Based on his innings history, and his current usage, and expected usage in the near future, I predict that he will drop from "elite" to closer to average. I feel the same way about CC, although conditioning plays a bigger role with him. I would only give him a 4 year deal, at the highest AAV any Pitcher ever had. But no way do I give him a 7 year $126 million deal like Zito, or a deal like Santana.

Pitching is so fragile, that you can't lock yourself in like the Giants did with Zito. At least the Mets have Pedro coming off the books, to make it somewhat palatable. But I think they will not be happy campers with the length of his contract by the last couple of years.

When an elite pitcher becomes becomes closer to average I would consider that falling off. A guy like Derek Lowe is average. That would be a big drop off. I think most people still consider Santana to be the cream of the crop despite a sluggish start to the season. I don't think anything in his history suggests that he is injury prone, although you never know with pitchers. To say that he is going to slow down in his second or third year when he is 30, 31 years old is just a guess and I'm not sure its an educated guess.

I would say he is comparable to Pedro in terms of their stature, and Pedro is a fastball-change guy, although Pedro throws a curve and Santana features a slider. Pedro dominated til he was 34 or so, and Santana can easily have the same success.

Archived