Dante Culpepper turns down the Packers offer

faba

OCALA - Daunte Culpepper did indeed turn down an offer from the Green Bay Packers, the free agent NFL quarterback confirmed Saturday, but he declined to explain exactly why.

"It just wasn't good for either side," said Culpepper on a short break from fellow Vanguard High School graduate Drayton Florence's annual Make It Happen Youth Football Camp.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reported this week that the Packers met with Culpepper and fellow free agent quarterbacks Quinn Gray and Gus Frerotte in an effort to fill the backup spot behind starter Aaron Rodgers. The report indicated that the team extended Culpepper a 1-year, $1 million contract offer, which Culpepper refused, leading the media to adopt the conventional wisdom that the Ocala native is waiting for a starting job, or at least a fair opportunity to earn one in training camp.

Culpepper confirmed Saturday that he did turn down the Packers' offer but said the report was "not the whole story," though he would not elaborate.

"I don't want to comment on it too much," he said.

Culpepper did say he would like to be a starter this season, but stopped short of saying he was "holding out" for that opportunity.

"I hope that, you know, that's what I want, in a perfect world. But we'll see what happens," Culpepper said.

"I'm just waiting for the right situation for me. I'm in talks with a couple of different teams right now."

Culpepper declined to identify those teams. Asked if he'd be interested in joining Florence with the nearby Jacksonville Jaguars, a team he has been linked to in each of the past two summers, Culpepper only laughed.

"You never know," he said. "You never know."

A first-round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings in 1999, Culpepper was among the league's elite quarterbacks until he suffered a devastating knee injury in 2005. He was traded a year later to the Miami Dolphins, who released Culpepper after a season cut short by another surgery on his knee. The three-time Pro Bowler played in seven games for the Oakland Raiders last year, throwing for 1,331 yards with 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and adding 3 rushing touchdowns.

Pat kirwan and Tim ryan were right, this guy thinks he can still start. thus he's turning down all the offers to be a backup

No, he's waiting for a QB to go down in training camp/preseason, which almost always happens. It would be his best opportunity.

no disagreement here, but he's really pushing the limit of his choices

With all NFL QB situations being healthy at the moment, he really has no choices. He will be a backup wherever he goes, meaning he'd have to pray that the starter gets hurt or sucks donkey balls. If he waits, some QB is bound to get hurt. Likely a seriousl injury somewhere. In that case, Culpepper's agent can move in and at least give Daunte a shot where he can compete with a backup who he might actually beat out. He'll be in the league come mid-preseason.

With all NFL QB situations being healthy at the moment, he really has no choices. He will be a backup wherever he goes, meaning he'd have to pray that the starter gets hurt or sucks donkey balls. If he waits, some QB is bound to get hurt. Likely a seriousl injury somewhere. In that case, Culpepper's agent can move in and at least give Daunte a shot where he can compete with a backup who he might actually beat out. He'll be in the league come mid-preseason.

He has choices, and as you said somebody is bound to get injured or suck, it always happens. He hasn't been good himself though, so he is a risk. Still, who's starting in Atlanta exactly? There are plenty of teams that don't have a QB at all really, or have a guy coming off injury. Culpepper could theoretically be good, a stint in Miami and Oakland doesn't really prove inability to play.

I never really thought he played that badly in either Miami or Oakland. Infact, in Oakland, he had a couple of solid starts. Very surprising that his best and only offer was a one year, $1 million deal from Green Bay. He still should've signed it though. Aaron Rodgers isn't a lock to be the starter there by any means and has been injuried before. Culpepper should've taken the deal. We'll see what happens.

I never really thought he played that badly in either Miami or Oakland. Infact, in Oakland, he had a couple of solid starts. Very surprising that his best and only offer was a one year, $1 million deal from Green Bay. He still should've signed it though. Aaron Rodgers isn't a lock to be the starter there by any means and has been injuried before. Culpepper should've taken the deal. We'll see what happens.

I agree. Oakland? We can't grade anyone on what happens there. Miami? How did they do after he left?

He still has a shot. Granted he will never be as good as it once seemed he would be. But Green Bay seems like a good spot for him. They are a win now team because of how good they did last year. So unless Favre is coming back I would think a veteran would have a good shot.

GB, Atlanta, Chicago and Baltimore, off the top of my head, all should take a real good look at him. I'm not sold on Schaub so that's another team right there. If only to create competition, he is someone that people should really think of taking a chance on. You don't win co-MVP by being talentless, no matter what someone says.

I would have thought GB , with Rodgers still unproven, would have been a perfect spot for him. He may very well wind up regretting this decision.

DC was boosted by who he was throwing to. Just look at Tom Brady, looked like a good QB before and now because of Moss, sets records.

DC is old, broken and has lost his mobility. If starts on any team this year, that team will be picking in the top 10 in 2009.

BZ

He has choices, and as you said somebody is bound to get injured or suck, it always happens. He hasn't been good himself though, so he is a risk. Still, who's starting in Atlanta exactly? There are plenty of teams that don't have a QB at all really, or have a guy coming off injury. Culpepper could theoretically be good, a stint in Miami and Oakland doesn't really prove inability to play.

No Culpepper isn't very good anymore. Let me ask you a question. IF you go to a team (raiders) that can run the ball pretty consistant. What does that say for you, when you can't put up decent stats, when the opposition is loading up to stop the run. Theoretically alot of pass plays should be there on the playaction.

Last point, I don't remember where but I read, Culpepper is now most comfortable throwing out of the shotgun these days. Thats a litttle hard to do if your the Jets, and want to establish the run.

I say pass.

Archived