Name these 4 Pats DBs

RichardSeymour

On a related note, name these 4 Pats DBs: a poster on a Pats board threw this out. The assessment is based on last year, and is done by KC Joyner, that guy who broke down every single NFL game from last year and selfpublished a "science of passing" tome that has drawn warm reviews from Dr. Z, among others.

Player A:

His stats were pretty good, but they could have been much worse, if he hadn't had 5 deep passes that were missed due to bad throws. He is susceptible to pump fakes and play action and would be tested even more if he played on a less talented defense. He does some low percentage things that could hurt NE at some point.

Player B:

His stats were very solid and he did some things well. He got into his zone lanes well and did a good job looking for the ball both before it was thrown and when it arrived. On the downside, he was targeted and beaten in games and will be targeted quite often in the future. The Pats will be able to do things to protect him, but sooner or later he'll have to protect himself.

Player C:

League wide, He ranked 5th best in deep completion percentage against and 10th best in medium completion percentage. QBs have said that they will take chances with passes to the outside of the field, but not over the middle due to this player being so good in coverage.

Player D:

League wide, He ranked 7th best in total completion percentage against and tied for 3rd best in tight/good coverage percentage. He was the key to the Pats defense last year. He is a Pro Bowl candidate. Part of that is due to the NE system, but make no mistake about it, the guy is good.

On a related note, name these 4 Pats DBs: a poster on a Pats board threw this out. The assessment is based on last year, and is done by KC Joyner, that guy who broke down every single NFL game from last year and selfpublished a "science of passing" tome that has drawn warm reviews from Dr. Z, among others.

A- Asante Samuel

B- Randall Gay

C- Rodney Harrison

D- Eugene Wilson

haha barton i think i win

I dunno bout that.

What killed me here was the player C sentence

"QBs have said that they will take chances with passes to the outside of the field, but not over the middle due to this player being so good in coverage."

IMO, that has Eugene Wilson written all over it.

Player A: Who gives a Sh#t?

Player B: Who gives a Sh#t?

Player C: Who gives a Sh#t?

Player D: Who gives a Sh#t?

Yep, all crap players.

That's the same secondary that has allowed only 1 PennyBoy TD pass and picked him off 7 times during the last 3 Pats-Jets games.

2 out of 4 for Eric Barton.... oh so close.... you just got two guys transposed....

One correct tag though was that player A is indeed Eugene Wilson. Wilson is physical and provides great run support and hitting for and FS.... but I *do* remember him getting burnt several times, and it may well be that Pats fans have overrated him a bit in coverage, and that he's a bit of a "trick or treat" player at the FS slot---- though on balance still a pretty good FS, just maybe not a great or near great one.

Nope.... which leaves....

(surprising, isn't it?)

:shock::shock:

Ok, so I know that A is eugene wilson

A: Eugene Wilson

B: Randall Gay (target in the future clue)

C: Samuel (good coverage over the middle)

D: Harrison (HE IS THE KEY TO THE DEFENSE) (Rodney has to be D)

Whup.... nope, you're still off. You just need to switch two guys though to be correct....

and yes, I'm as shocked as you are, and as inclined to wonder whether Mr. Joyner meant to include "Just kidding, wanted to make sure you were still paying attention" or was drinking or mixed up his jerseys or something as you are.

D is, of course, Asante Samuel.

whaaaaaaaaat???????

Yes, he said that Asante Freaking Samuel was the key to the defense and a pro bowl candidate.

I was as surprised as you probably are, but then again you don't always notice good DB play....

Based on my own observations would I say anything like that on Samuel? No. I hardly remember him at all last year--- but given that he started 10 games and played in 13 (13 & 16 including playoffs), and started the last 12 games including playoffs.... well, it does occur to me my failure to notice him may have actually been a compliment to him....

I'm not saying I buy it completely, but this Joyner guy basically spent 6 months breaking down every DB and WR in the NFL, and his opinions have garnered moderate respect from a few notable guys including Doc Z who IMO knows his stuff.

Given that, while he doesn't have the authority of say Belichick, he has more authority in my book than just about any other amateur.... and when he says Wilson got burned, I listen. When he says Samuel was a pro bowl candidate.... my eyebrows go up, but I at least consider it....

Yep, all crap players.

That's the same secondary that has allowed only 1 PennyBoy TD pass and picked him off 7 times during the last 3 Pats-Jets games.

Actually, I think Tedy Bruschi caught more passes from Chad over the past two seasons than Anthony Becht did.

Archived