Since the tech forum seems to have disappeared...

Bob

...I'll quiz you techies here.

I just bought a laptop with built-in wireless networking. I want to buy a wireless router, so I can use the wireless feature and also share my DSL connection with a desktop that is not connected.

Currently, I have two desktops wired to a four-port router. Can I run a wire from one of the remaining ports on the wired router to the wireless one? I'm hoping to get away with buying a router and a USB adapter for the remaining desktop.

Thanks for your help.

I just bought a laptop with built-in wireless networking. I want to buy a wireless router, so I can use the wireless feature and also share my DSL connection with a desktop that is not connected.

Currently, I have two desktops wired to a four-port router. Can I run a wire from one of the remaining ports on the wired router to the wireless one? I'm hoping to get away with buying a router and a USB adapter for the remaining desktop.

Thanks for your help.

not sure what your asking BUT my cheapo 40 dollar wireless router already has like 4 usb ports so you could have 4 pc wired in plus the wireless. they are all like that

Right now, I have a wired router with four LAN outputs. Two of them are in use. I want to plug in a wireless router to add two computers, but don't want to buy new hardware for the two that are already connected.

With USB ports on the wireless router, I'd need new wires, which would be silly. I could just buy USB wireless adapters for all three desktops, instead.

Thanks for your help.

Bob sounds like you want a wireless access point. That would plug right into your existing router.

Depending on the make wireless routers doesn't always play nice when plugged into regular routers. I had a hard time awhile back with Linksys under that exact scenario.

I just looked at the specs on a wireless router, and I see what DK was talking about. It has four ethernet ports as well as the wireless.

I can just replace the router I have now, and buy a USB adapter for the third desktop.

Thanks, guys.

Archived