Cimini Tuesday TC AM

flgreen

August 13, 2008

Favre: My arm is dragging a bit

This is why us media types are going to love Brett Favre, and why he'll give agita to Eric Mangini: He's refreshingly honest and forthcoming.

After this morning's practice, not a particularly sharp session for Brett the Jet, he admitted his "arm is kind of dragging a bit" and that he planned to ask Mangini to limit his throws in the second practice. As some of you may know, Mangini has a policy about injuries/ailments/conditions/boo-boos - never, never, never, never, never, never talk about them to guys like me.

Later, at his news conference, Mangini seemed a little taken aback when questioned about Favre's tired arm and the talk of a pitch count. "You guys talked to him more than I did, so I don't really know where he is with that," the coach said.

Make no mistake, if Brett wants a pitch count, he'll get a pitch count.

Based on my count, Favre made 20 throws in the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 portions of practice. I'm sure he made at least that many throws early in practice, with warm-ups and one-on-one drills.

He went 3-for-4 in the 7-on-7 and 9-for-16 in the 11-on-11, including one touchdown (a gorgeous 53-yard TD strike to Brad Smith on a fourth-and-10 in the two-minute drill) and one interception (a leaping grab by S Abram Elam on a long ball to Laveranues Coles).

Because this was Favre's first news conference since Saturday, here are some highlights:

man i was totally cool with this report until the last line. damn

we still have stuckey. I'm fairly confident in anyone that steps into the number 3 WR role. I'm betting Keller takes a lot of those reps when it comes time for the season.

He said learning the new system "is not easy," but he said he'll have a small package of plays to run for Saturday night's game against the Redskins. By the season opener in Miami, he expects to be comfortable with a small segment of the offense, enough to make him functional.

This doesnt make me feel good. We need more than functional.

Poor Clemens was staring a starting gig straight in the face days ago...now he could end up being cut (worst case scenario, obviously). Meanwhile, the other Brett continues to shine. What of Ainge? Who knows, but I, for one, am totally cool with the Brett and Brett show. I am not even too far from suggesting that the other guy become the heir apparent.

Clowney hurt? Great...

This is from the PM practice report yesterday:

WR David Clowney, who left the morning practice for an undisclosed reason, was back on the field and appeared fine - except for his butter fingers moment. A pass from Kellen Clemens went off his hands, resulting in an interception. It was one of the few bad moments for Clowney, one of the early stars of camp.

Glad to hear Clowney is O.K. I really expect him to make the 53 man roster. The kid is very quick and has very good hands for the most part.

Archived