David Barrett Reworks his contract

Maxman

Rich Cimini wrote today:

CB David Barrett, due to make a hefty $3.6million this season, renegotiated his contract, according to a league source. His base was slashed to $2.4 million, reducing his chances of becoming a cap casualty.

Interesting. I was fairly certain he was going to be a cap casualty. I guess this prevents that from happening. Which is good because as much as Barrett gets blasted, they don't have a whole lot of depth at the position. They have some youth, but the jury is still out on some of those guys.

Rich Cimini wrote today:

Interesting. I was fairly certain he was going to be a cap casualty. I guess this prevents that from happening. Which is good because as much as Barrett gets blasted, they don't have a whole lot of depth at the position. They have some youth, but the jury is still out on some of those guys.

I was almost sure Barrett was going to be a cap casualty. Jets have caps issues going into next year, a down side of the Brett, Pace etc signings.

This is very surprising. Obviously Barrett wants to remain a Jet or just knows he wouldn't even see $2 million a year out on the Free Agent market at the end of August. Either way we should be happy. We'll probably now be keeping a veteran Corner for $1.2 million less.

This is very surprising. Obviously Barrett wants to remain a Jet or just knows he wouldn't even see $2 million a year out on the Free Agent market at the end of August. Either way we should be happy. We'll probably now be keeping a veteran Corner for $1.2 million less.

Don't count on that. There was no mention of any k ind of a bonus. It may just have been a move to free up cap space NOW. In case they wanted to make a move as teams cut players, If Carroll and, Lowery continue to play well he could still get cut.

or maybe he realized that the new salary is still a lot higher than the veteran minimum that he will be making on his next contract

Archived