10 NFL teams that must win in Week 1: Jets #1

crashingjet

biggest thing chad brings to fish in week 1 is his knlowledge of jets playbook and of our schemes

People seem to forget that Chad has been learning a new system as well, just like Brett. As for Chad knowing our offense (he knows our defense as well as our defense knows him, so thats pretty much a wash), even if we have the same exact playbook with Favre, our tendencies will not be the same. For example, Favre can go deep at any time, or he can rifle it in mid range any time as well, thats something that Chad could never do, and it will be hard for him to identify what we are doing because our tendencies will be so different.

funny but i could see pennington sitting in a wooden chair with a bright light shining in his eyes and parcells and sparano are interrogating him about the jets playbook.

i'd give our defense more of an advantage over pennington then i would the phins defense with whatever info pennington leaks to them.

the biggest threat we have facing miami is ricky williams. our defense is not gelin' yet and we're likely going to get run over. if we don't put the phins in an early hole and force them to throw the ball it will be a long afternoon.

lol that's a funny image. "what were you and the jets doing on the evening of july 28th?"

i definitely agree with you about the run D, we haven't looked solid all preseason. though i'm hoping that that was due to the usage of vanilla schemes. and although it was during preseason, ricky williams seems to have had a second epiphany, which is scary because he loves to rack 'em up against ny, or at least has a knack for it.

as far as what chad can bring to the table on defense for the phins: we've already established that he has more than an excellent understanding of the playbook (and it's not going to change, it's still the same playbook with the same plays, we're just now able to utilize the entire offense). what hasn't been mentioned is that schotty was penny's OC for 3+ years and schotty is still the OC of the ny jets. so? some might ask. to them i reply, penny has a great understanding of how schotty's mind works in key situations and should have a very good idea of what plays will be called when. with defenses allowed to have one man on the field with a radio in his helmet, it is that much easier for penny to be standing next to the phins' DC and saying, "it's third and 5. they'll most likely run this or that, but keep an eye out for this as well." now the opposing D knows exactly what to look for, and BOOM! no 3rd down conversion; maybe even (an) unsuccessful 2 minute drill(s). that is a HUGE advantage.

I disagree with this being a must win for the Jets. In fact it would not surprise me if the Jets started 0-3 and made the playoffs. (That is not a prediction, I am just saying it would not surprise me)

1. Favre has natural talent, but he is not a quick study It takes time for a receiver to build repore with the receivers... particularly if you are free lancer like farve and farve was late to camp. i expect the jets offense to be playing better in late October than week 1.

2. The fish are much better than you give them credit for being. Yes, they went 1-15 but many of those games were by less than a TD.

3. With Chad's knowledge of the offense, BP and company should be able to put together a very good defense.

I disagree with this being a must win for the Jets. In fact it would not surprise me if the Jets started 0-3 and made the playoffs. (That is not a prediction, I am just saying it would not surprise me)

1. Favre has natural talent, but he is not a quick study It takes time for a receiver to build repore with the receivers... particularly if you are free lancer like farve and farve was late to camp. i expect the jets offense to be playing better in late October than week 1.

2. The fish are much better than you give them credit for being. Yes, they went 1-15 but many of those games were by less than a TD.

3. With Chad's knowledge of the offense, BP and company should be able to put together a very good defense.

I agree with your first two points and your overall assessment. Losing to the Dolphins would be bad for their phyche, especially with all of the media attention that will be on the team with Favre. But after week 3, the Jets schedule is very easy and all the new pieces on their offense and defense will take some time to come together.

I think it all comes down to this.

Can the Jets stop the Dolphins running game.

It is something they haven't been able to do since 2000.

We all know what Chad is going to do. He will pick, pick, pick, pick you with the short passing game and then will take a shot down the field, then pick, pick and pick again. If Miami can run the football consistantly then I think the Dolphins will have excellent chance of winning the game.

I agree with Barton on this one. There are no more excuses for the Jets D. They have those "3-4" type players now so there should be no reason for them not to go out there and shut down the Dolphins.

It is going to be a very interesting game.

Archived