10 NFL teams that must win in Week 1: Jets #1

crashingjet

Lots of pressure on New York to win this one, however it ends I just hope the game lives up to all of the hype.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=452254

1. New York Jets. Never has there been so much pressure on a 4-12 team to turn things around quickly and make the playoffs, at the least as a wild card. That just comes with acquiring one of history's greatest quarterbacks in the league's biggest media market. It's not that Brett Favre needs to lead the Jets to a season-opening win for their own benefit, it's also that they just can't lose to this opponent. Even though it's on the road, New York can't afford a loss to the rival Dolphins, in an AFC East division game, to a team that finished 1-15 last season and most notably, is now led on the field by the man Favre replaced, Chad Pennington.

The Jets definitely have the most pressure to win Week 1. With all the Free Agent signings and the Favre vs Pennington deal, this team needs to win. We should win as we are a much, much better team at all areas on the field except in the running game department.

i admit with chad going to fish i have some sphincter issues

The Jets were complete idiots for handing Chad a favor and releasing him. Are Mangini/Tannenbaum running a football team or a charity? This is not a game or business for playing nice.

They should have kept him until they found a trade. Either that or waiting until yesterday to release him.

Unreal move, just completely stupid.

The Jets were complete idiots for handing Chad a favor and releasing him. Are Mangini/Tannenbaum running a football team or a charity? This is not a game or business for playing nice.

They should have kept him until they found a trade. Either that or waiting until yesterday to release him.

They had to release him by 4pm on the day they did in order to fit Favre's salary under their cap. Unfortunately, they had no choice.

I wanted them to trade him before the draft. Oh well.

They had to release him by 4pm on the day they did in order to fit Favre's salary under their cap. Unfortunately, they had no choice.

I wanted them to trade him before the draft. Oh well.

Tannenbaum himself admitted on WFAN with Francesca that he did it out of respect for Chad. His exact words I cant remember, but that was the gist of it.

I'm not buying that salary cap excuse. Cut some players or rework their contracts. You cant release Chad when a team in your division is dying for a decent veteran starting QB, end of story.

Amateur move.

I swear if we lose to the Chad Dolphins........

Why?? Is Chad really a threat?? Their biggest weapon is a guy who can really only hurt you deep (Ginn), to which Chad can't even exploit. I have no problem with Chad going to MIA simply because he's justr no that good. Period.

Why?? Is Chad really a threat?? Their biggest weapon is a guy who can really only hurt you deep (Ginn), to which Chad can't even exploit. I have no problem with Chad going to MIA simply because he's justr no that good. Period.

biggest thing chad brings to fish in week 1 is his knlowledge of jets playbook and of our schemes

biggest thing chad brings to fish in week 1 is his knlowledge of jets playbook and of our schemes

Offensive playbook will be very different with Favre than it was with Pennington and as much as Chad can read our defense our defense knows his every move and will be sitting on the curl routes for pick six's. Should be fun.

If Ginn blows by somebody even Chad can throw the pass 30+ yards and get him the ball. I'm not gonna take this game for granted, the Dolphins will not be easy and I'm worried about our offense putting up points the first few weeks of the season.

Chad is a threat to us, sorry but it is true. He'll be ready week 1. This is a trap game, big time.

Again I have to respectfully disagree. This team's playbook and philosophy will be nothing like the days Chad was here. We now have the players to have an aggressive D with alot of blitzing and pressure, and our O will look nothing like it did with Mr Limited.

Tannenbaum himself admitted on WFAN with Francesca that he did it out of respect for Chad. His exact words I cant remember, but that was the gist of it.

I'm not buying that salary cap excuse. Cut some players or rework their contracts. You cant release Chad when a team in your division is dying for a decent veteran starting QB, end of story.

Amateur move.

I swear if we lose to the Chad Dolphins........

I have to agree. The phish certainly have the advantage with Chad facing this defense all spring and summer. More so than the defensive advantage that the Jets will have in knowing noddle arm's weaknesses. It does seem surprising that there were "no other options" with the cap issues. And doing Chad a favor? F'em! This is business! Now, one of the Jets' largest rivals has the benefit of picking Chad's brain, which is, perhaps, his best asset. I still do not think it will amount to a Jets loss on opening day, or at least it better not. Could you imagine? No wait, don't even give that thought an ounce of entertainment.

I think people are over playing and over respecting Chad Pennington. The guy simply is not a good Quarterback anymore, he's average at his best. He hasn't been playing well since the middle of the 2006 season and even before then he wasn't anything special since the beginning of 2004. Chad Pennington is not going to make or break a Jets-Dolphins game, not an f'ing chance. Has anyone here taken a look at their defense or the fact that they have NOBODY at Wide Receiver execpt The Great Hype (Ginn)? How about the fact Ronnie Brown is the BACK-UP right now because of his injuries? Do you people seriously think Ricky Williams is going to automatically become the Ricky Williams of 2001 and 2002? Seriously?

I have to agree. The phish certainly have the advantage with Chad facing this defense all spring and summer. More so than the defensive advantage that the Jets will have in knowing noddle arm's weaknesses. It does seem surprising that there were "no other options" with the cap issues. And doing Chad a favor? F'em! This is business! Now, one of the Jets' largest rivals has the benefit of picking Chad's brain, which is, perhaps, his best asset. I still do not think it will amount to a Jets loss on opening day, or at least it better not. Could you imagine? No wait, don't even give that thought an ounce of entertainment.

It's giving me nightmares it really is.

Jets go 9-7 and miss the playoffs by 1 game because they lost Week 1 to the Dolphins.

:shock:

It's giving me nightmares it really is.

Jets go 9-7 and miss the playoffs by 1 game because they lost Week 1 to the Dolphins.

:shock:

No.

If that were to happen Barton we all know it would be a loss to the Dolphins in Week 17 at the Meadowlands. That is how the New York Jets roll.

Tannenbaum himself admitted on WFAN with Francesca that he did it out of respect for Chad. His exact words I cant remember, but that was the gist of it..

Because if there's one thing Tannenbaum and Mangini are known for, its being open, honest, and forthcoming with information while talking to the media...

I'm not buying that salary cap excuse. Cut some players or rework their contracts.

I would agree with you, but Favre's cap number was way to big for that to work. I don't know exactly where we were capwise when the trade occured, but we needed to clear at least $6M, which just happened to be the cap number of the QB who was suddenly expendable. No one was gonna trade for Chad knowing we needed to clear his cap space, Tannenbaum had no choice.

I don't believe anyone here is actually afraid of a Chad Pennington led Dolphins. I know that its just the fear of some sort of kharmic retribution after years of us :pooh:ing on Pennington.

Because if there's one thing Tannenbaum and Mangini are known for, its being open, honest, and forthcoming with information while talking to the media...

Except Tannenbaum has absolutely no reason to lie about this issue.

I don't believe anyone here is actually afraid of a Chad Pennington led Dolphins. I know that its just the fear of some sort of kharmic retribution after years of us :pooh:ing on Pennington.

You're forgetting something......Chad Pennington is the devil. He exists to torment us Jets fans.

The phish certainly have the advantage with Chad facing this defense all spring and summer. More so than the defensive advantage that the Jets will have in knowing noddle arm's weaknesses.

You think?

I mean, how well was Pennington playing against that defense in practice? Even with his red shirt on? With a receiving corps that I really hope is a lot better than Miami's?

I think it's the Jets who have the advantage in this matchup. They know full well why they released him, and I suspect they have an idea about how to exploit those reasons in week #1.

In all honesty I can not see Miami's offense doing anything with the Jets defense. Completely overmatched. I think the Dolphins will benefit from Favre and the Jets offense still needing some more time together to click on all cylinders.

I can see Jets 20 - Miami 9.

Except Tannenbaum has absolutely no reason to lie about this issue.

Sure he does. He just uncerimoniously dumped the guy who had been with the team for 8 years and your starter for 6 of them. What was he gonna say?

"Yeah, we just majorly upgraded our starting QB and have absolutely no use for Chad. Plus he made way too much money, and since our new,better QB makes a lot too, we had to get rid of him so we could stay under the cap, and since no one wants to trade for him, we had to just dump his sorry ass."

If there's two things we've learned about Tangini over the last few years its these:

1. They will never publicly insult, or intentionally appear to insult, James Chadwick Pennington.

2. They will never give out any information that they perceive could potentially give another team any advantage over them, be that information about injuries, game plans, salary cap info, etc. Quite honestly, I was surprised during camp when Mangini actually let everyone know what Favre had for breakfast. I mean, who knows what the Patriots could have potentially done to eggs Favre might have eaten in the future!

You're forgetting something......Chad Pennington is the devil. He exists to torment us Jets fans

No no, Chad is just a tool of the devil. Jet fans exist to torment jets fans.

You think?

I mean, how well was Pennington playing against that defense in practice? Even with his red shirt on? With a receiving corps that I really hope is a lot better than Miami's?

I think it's the Jets who have the advantage in this matchup. They know full well why they released him, and I suspect they have an idea about how to exploit those reasons in week #1.

Sure the Jets will be able to exploit Chad's deficiencies, but they are playing the entire dolphins team, not just Pennington. Chad and Tuna have likely been ploying from day one for the first game.

The only way, and I mean the ONLY WAY, that MIA will beat us is if Favre tries to do too much on offense and starts forcing balls all over the place. He generally throws about 3 interceptable balls a game trying to make things happen. He needs to let the game come to him and not put too much pressure on himself. Onje thing is for sure, Chad will NOT beat us. We can only beat ourselves.

he could be a potential threat in that he knows the jet offensive playbook better than any QB on our team. and you had to have at least acknowledge that parcells and the phin DC now have a working knowledge of said offense after picking pennington's brain. ultimately it's not about how bad he is, because like favre said he's "just one of eleven." or maybe it's better to say he's one of twelve on defense, considering his biggest contribution to the phins may not be his offensive output, but his "defensive" input. and that's why no one should over look this game. i'm not saying we're definitely going to lose, but we just may if we take it for granted.

he could be a potential threat in that he knows the jet offensive playbook better than any QB on our team. and you had to have at least acknowledge that parcells and the phin DC now have a working knowledge of said offense after picking pennington's brain. ultimately it's not about how bad he is, because like favre said he's "just one of eleven." or maybe it's better to say he's one of twelve on defense, considering his biggest contribution to the phins may not be his offensive output, but his "defensive" input. and that's why no one should over look this game. i'm not saying we're definitely going to lose, but we just may if we take it for granted.

funny but i could see pennington sitting in a wooden chair with a bright light shining in his eyes and parcells and sparano are interrogating him about the jets playbook.

i'd give our defense more of an advantage over pennington then i would the phins defense with whatever info pennington leaks to them.

the biggest threat we have facing miami is ricky williams. our defense is not gelin' yet and we're likely going to get run over. if we don't put the phins in an early hole and force them to throw the ball it will be a long afternoon.

Pennington only knew about 25% of our passing playbook. I wonder why tho...

I don't think there is a whole lot to "knowing" an opponent's defense. Unless, of course, we are talking about being able to actually know what defense they are going to use before actual plays in a game.

But how could you do that? And if you could, that would be cheating. Who would be low enough to do that? :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a whole lot to "knowing" an opponent's defense. Unless, of course, we are talking about being able to actually know what defense they are going to use before actual plays in a game.

But how could you do that? And if you could, that would be cheating. Who would be low enough to do that? :rolleyes:

:rl::rl:

Pennington only knew about 25% of our passing playbook. I wonder why tho...

just because pennington can only make 25% of the throws in the playbook doesn't mean he only knows 25% of it. he KNOWS the entire playbook. there is a reason he is regarded as one of the smartest QBs in the league. and i have esp(n) because i sense something again...

just because pennington can only make 25% of the throws in the playbook doesn't mean he only knows 25% of it. he KNOWS the entire playbook. there is a reason he is regarded as one of the smartest QBs in the league. and i have esp(n) because i sense something again...

I was joking about that but good statement you got there.

Archived