PFW | WWHI | Lowery taking New York by storm

rick34125

Sept. 13, 2008

Jets rookie Lowery taking New York by storm

All the rookie excitement in Jets camp initially centered around OLB Vernon Gholston, but it has been lightly regarded fourth-round CB Dwight Lowery that has coaches talking. Although undersized, Lowery's outstanding ball skills and precocious poise have earned him a starting job that we hear will be very difficult for presumed starter Justin Miller to reclaim. Lowery

Vernon Gholston has a lot of pressure being taken off of him since the Favre signing-a lot of the focus that would be on him not making an impact yet (notice I didn't use the "B" word) has been taken off him by Lowery's skyrocketing and the pretty impressive play by our other LBers Pace, Barton Harris and Thomas-we don't really NEED him yet and by the time we do hopefully he'll have caught up

He'll have a tougher test today. I suspect we may line him up against Wes Welker in the slot as he IMO is a bigger threat than Gafney who lines up as the #2. He was outstanding last week and am incredibly excited to see how he does this week.

remember one thing Irish Jet before Tom Brady, Wes Welker was only Wes Welker the Dolphin

so whadda ya think DM, do we see Barrett playing some safety in pass coverage situations on the TE's today?

That would be a good move. Maybe even in more than just obvious passing situations. I am sure the Pats will go with a lot of 2 TE/2 WR formations like the Dolphins did last week. Barrett can do a better job covering one of the TEs than E. Smith. I think the Jets front seven can handle the Pats running attack OK without a "regular" safety.

remember one thing Irish Jet before Tom Brady, Wes Welker was only Wes Welker the Dolphin

I always liked Wes Welker, even when he did have the great Daunte Culpepper/Joey Harrington QB tandem throwing him the ball. He's an excellent slot WR and I still think he's much more dangerous than Jabar Gafney who will probably be lining up as the #2. I wouldn't put it past Welker having a big day, we cannot take him lightly.

Why do you guys think Barrett would make a good safety? Just curious.

Not necessarily "good". Just much better than E. Smith in coverage in my opinion. Barrett's main weakness at CB is lack of speed. He is smart and has good ball skills. So, in theory, he might be better than at CB. However, he has never been much of a tackler at CB, and that weakness would be a bigger concern at safety.

Not necessarily "good". Just much better than E. Smith in coverage in my opinion. Barrett's main weakness at CB is lack of speed. He is smart and has good ball skills. So, in theory, he might be better than at CB. However, he has never been much of a tackler at CB, and that weakness would be a bigger concern at safety.

Yeah, that would be my main problem with him at safety. It's a position that requires solid tackling (Not that Eric Smith is Ronnie Lott) and I think Barrett would really be exposed if he was brought up for run support. It's an idea to consider for passing downs though, not sure if he'd be physical enough to deal with elite TE's though.

I thought Elam showed some potential last season, he just had one too many stupid mistakes for my liking.

Why do you guys think Barrett would make a good safety? Just curious.

anybody with half a football brain in his head only has to look at last week's game IJ to see where you can best attack the Jets defense-throwing to the TE's and NE has two pretty good pass catchers there. David Barrett was playing some safety in pre season and he has the coverage skills of a CB and now the size of a safety

Archived