Sources: Yankees make record six-year, $140-million offer to CC Sabathia

Jetkid94

just reported on espnews that the deal offered is 6 years for reportedly over 137.5 million which was johan santanas record deal. also read that the yanks are making offers at aj burnett, derek lowe and mark texiera, but no offers have been reported with those 3 yet.

if that is the deal to sabathia do you guys think he takes it? :baby: go yankees!

just reported on espnews that the deal offered is 6 years for reportedly over 137.5 million which was johan santanas record deal. also read that the yanks are making offers at aj burnett, derek lowe and mark texiera, but no offers have been reported with those 3 yet.

if that is the deal to sabathia do you guys think he takes it? :baby: go yankees!

150 or close to it will do it. I heard of them making an offer to Burnett and Lowe, but are you sure about Texiera?

Sources: Yankees make record six-year, $140-million offer to CC Sabathia

By ANTHONY McCARRON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 14th 2008, 6:48 PM

alg_sabathia.jpg

After combining for a 17-10 record last season for Cleveland and Milwaukee, the Yankees hope big bucks will lure CC Sabathia to the Bronx.

The Yankees made the first move Friday in what they hope will be a winter pitching spree by offering star lefty CC Sabathia a contract believed to be worth $140 million over six years, according to multiple baseball officials.

If Sabathia ultimately signs for that much or more, it'd be the biggest deal for a pitcher in baseball history. Johan Santana inked a six-year, $137.5 million contract with the Mets last winter. The Yankee offer is "slightly better" than Santana's deal, according to one official.

The Yankees aren't stopping there, either. In the next day or so, sources said, they will make first-strike offers to AJ Burnett and Derek Lowe, as well, in an effort to solidify their starting rotation.

The 28-year-old Sabathia was a combined 17-10 last season for Cleveland and Milwaukee, going 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA for the Brewers after a mid-season trade. He won the 2007 AL Cy Young Award and has thrown 494 innings over the past two seasons. He is 117-73 with a 3.66 ERA in 254 career starts.

150 or close to it will do it. I heard of them making an offer to Burnett and Lowe, but are you sure about Texiera?

when they were talking aout sabathia they mentioned the yankees making a little bit of a push at Texiera but was predicted to be an angel.

I think the yankees will get Lowe and sabathia and another bat.

Hoffman? Yuck.... I'd rather have Farnsy back... lol

I see him pitch a lot since I live in SD. He is no longer an effective closer, but he would be a great setup guy. he still has a great changeup and he is not a launching pad. he would have a lot better defense behind him with us, than he has in SD. I really think you guys would be surprised at what he could bring.

If AJ Burnett is so good, why does he have a 4 era every season and get injured every other?

Derek Lowe? Are the Yankees serious with that? No way can you give him alot of money and years.

And if you can get Ben Sheets for half the years and alot less per than it would be for Burnett, I would rather go after him. He's a better pitcher.

If AJ Burnett is so good, why does he have a 4 era every season and get injured every other?

Derek Lowe? Are the Yankees serious with that? No way can you give him alot of money and years.

And if you can get Ben Sheets for half the years and alot less per than it would be for Burnett, I would rather go after him. He's a better pitcher.

Sheets is always hurt but yes a better pitcher. The Yanks are overly enamored due to what Burnett has done against them, Boston and the Rays which has been a lights out 25-8 with a ERA under 2.6 against all but Baltimore.

If the price is right he's a ok risk due to what he's done in the division. Otherwise I would be wary of his high WHIP and the fact he's only made 30 starts 3x in his career.

Better than the almost 7 ERA you get with Hughes, and he pitches well against the AL East.

Um. Same as above. Remember, there is no salary cap. The Yankees aren't going out of business anytime soon. I agree, however, that Lowe would be the pitcher I'd offer the least.

Sheets already said he won't play in NY. Not "I won't play there unless I get lots of money" (like CC), but he is simply not interested in NY.

I honestly never had any interest in Ben Sheets. I can see Carl Pavano 2.0 in him. If were going for a National League pitcher, it has to be Peavy. I would take Sabathia, and Burnett though.

I can't see why people are so afraid of signing Burnett. He has experience in the American League, and the East none the less, something Peavy, and Sheets doesn't, and Lowe hasn't pitched in the American League East in a while, and the last time he did, he sucked.

Archived