GREG ROBINSON OUUUUTTTT!!!!!

gangreenman

Syracuse AD Gross, in his Sunday press conference, made official what the Syracuse community knew was inevitable: Greg Robinson will no longer Head Coach the Syracuse football team.

Gross said G-ROB will remain the coach for the final two games of the season (Notre Dame, Cincinnati), and will be asked to leave afterwards.

FINALLY!! This is also good news because since G-Rob still had 1 year remaining on his contract, it means that the Athletic Dept. has a candidate, or candidates that they believe are close to signing on with 'Cuse. No matter what moves they make, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone as bad, or worse, than Greg Robinson.

Really was about time.

about 2 seasons overdue, lots of big name candidates out there, none of who i expect to go to syracuse.

Looks like Edsall from Uconn is going to be the guy. Played at 'Cuse for 4 years, was an assistant coach at 'Cuse for 10 years... Coached Mcnabb and Marvin Harrison.

Has good East Coast recruiting ties, knows the Carrier Dome, knows the atmosphere, head coaching experience...

Syracuse AD Gross, in his Sunday press conference, made official what the Syracuse community knew was inevitable: Greg Robinson will no longer Head Coach the Syracuse football team.

Gross said G-ROB will remain the coach for the final two games of the season (Notre Dame, Cincinnati), and will be asked to leave afterwards.

FINALLY!! This is also good news because since G-Rob still had 1 year remaining on his contract, it means that the Athletic Dept. has a candidate, or candidates that they believe are close to signing on with 'Cuse. No matter what moves they make, they'd be hard pressed to find anyone as bad, or worse, than Greg Robinson.

Really was about time.

He was what 9-30 something in his 4 years? About time.

Looks like Edsall from Uconn is going to be the guy. Played at 'Cuse for 4 years, was an assistant coach at 'Cuse for 10 years... Coached Mcnabb and Marvin Harrison.

Has good East Coast recruiting ties, knows the Carrier Dome, knows the atmosphere, head coaching experience...

He sounds perfect fror the job especially with his SU background. Any interest on his end ?

No chance. They aren't gonna steal another Big East's team's coach. That stuff usually doesn't go on in conference.

No chance. They aren't gonna steal another Big East's team's coach. That stuff usually doesn't go on in conference.

I dont know. It would cost a lot of money for 'Cuse to make it work but Gross says that money's not an issue in this process. He said the Athletic Dept. has raised enough money for this transition that if there's an issue, it won't be because we didn't offer enough money.

Edsall is in a good position at Uconn...But he was a student here and an assistant here for a looong time. He will undoubtedly be welcomed with open arms on campus.

And once again, if he can come in and resurrect the football program, that would be the ultimate feel good story for the fans, the program, and for him.

I dont know. It would cost a lot of money for 'Cuse to make it work but Gross says that money's not an issue in this process. He said the Athletic Dept. has raised enough money for this transition that if there's an issue, it won't be because we didn't offer enough money.

Edsall is in a good position at Uconn...But he was a student here and an assistant here for a looong time. He will undoubtedly be welcomed with open arms on campus.

And once again, if he can come in and resurrect the football program, that would be the ultimate feel good story for the fans, the program, and for him.

It doesn't matter how good it would be for Syracuse. It's not going to happen.

This move would have been a no brainer a decade ago.

However, isn't this at best a lateral move?

He was what 9-30 something in his 4 years? About time.

9-36 as of now, and probably will finish 9-38. His BE record is now 3-24, which, again, will likely finish at 3-25. He has a total of 5 wins against BCS opponents.

Some other fun facts:

Syracuse, from 1900-2004 had never suffered a 10 loss season. Greg Robinson took over in '05 and went 1-10 that year. He proceeded to go 4-8 in '06, 2-10 in '07, and will probably finish 2-10 in '08.

Syracuse football average attendance in '04 was over 38,000 (capacity 49,500). Syracuse football attendance in '08 was 21,000 (which includes the sold out Penn St. game, where over 65% of the fans were PSU fans). Syracuse basketball attendance for the '07-'08 season was over 25,000.

Greg Robinson, when he was first hired in December of '05, promised that SU football would become the envy of the NCAA, and that he will return the program to its glory days. Four years later, Greg Robinson's contract has been terminated, having only achieved 9 wins, 38 losses, 0 bowl game appearances, 0 BE titles, and 0 winning seasons. The highest win total a Greg Robinson lead Syracuse team had in a single season was 4, almost half of his total win count.

Sports Illustrated just published this:

Looks like UConn guy said nyet

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/24183?eref=fromSI

mandel_stewart.jpg

Who's dumb enough to coach 'Cuse?

Whoever takes over for Greg Robinson will have work to do.

The following job posting was recently spotted in the classified ads section of the Syracuse Post-Standard:

Wanted: Head football coach, BCS-conference school. Seeking enthusiastic candidates who welcome the challenge of rebuilding a program that has won three Big East games over the past four seasons. Must exhibit a fondness for domed stadiums and cold, dreary weather. Benefits include an apathetic fan base, average facilities and divisive athletic director.

On the heels of Greg Robinson's long-expected firing Sunday, the question isn't, "Who will Syracuse hire to replace him?" It's "Who would be dumb and/or sadistic enough to take that job?"

It took less than 24 hours for the school's reported top candidate, Connecticut's Randy Edsall, to give his alma mater the Heisman. Once upon a time, a coach at UConn would have come running to Syracuse, but in 2008, Edsall -- who makes a reported $1.3 million, works in brand-new offices and a four-year-old stadium and will soon make his third bowl appearance in five years -- has a better job where he's at.

It's also been speculated for some time that Syracuse might target Buffalo coach Turner Gill, a logical premise seeing as Gill is already in the state and has been nothing short of miracle-worker in taking one of the nation's worst programs to the brink of a possible division title. (Buffalo is currently 6-4, 4-2 in the MAC.) It's entirely possible Gill would be eager to jump from the MAC to the Big East. But here's the thing: Gill can do better. Much better.

Syracuse's best hope of landing a coach capable of restoring the once-proud Orange to their proper glory -- or at least the right side of .500 -- is to find an energetic, ambitious assistant both itching to become a head coach and dynamic enough to sell blue-chippers on a program that, quite frankly, doesn't have much to offer right now. That person most certainly needs to have his fingers on the pulse of the Northeast recruiting scene.

The New York Times posted a list of potential candidates Sunday night, and two names immediately jumped to mind: Mike Locksley and Steve Addazio.

Locksley, 39, a Washington, D.C., native, is Illinois' offensive coordinator and the driving force behind Ron Zook's recruiting success both there and at Florida. He lured star receiver Arrelious Benn (a D.C. native) to Champaign and landed several key members of Florida's 2006 national title team.

Addazio, 49, Urban Meyer's offensive line coach at Florida, was a Syracuse assistant during the Donovan McNabb era (1995-98). Last month, former Orange star Rob Konrad penned a letter on behalf of several former teammates urging AD Daryl Gross to consider Addazio, whose pipeline into the New Jersey talent scene would be invaluable at Syracuse.

Of course, that brings us back to the original question. While the Syracuse head coaching job would garner a huge pay raise, is the assistant head coach position at Florida is arguably a better (and safer) job? I think so. If I'm Gross, I'm making that call to Locksley.

hopefully u get your alum in edsall,,alums are good if they can also coach,,,

skip holtz's speech yesterday didnt take him out of running..ecu havin bad year after big start,,,i think holtz is finding north/south carolina too hard to recruit in with davis at unc, obrien at NCSU, Grobe at Wake, Spurrier at South Car, cutlcliffe at duke,unamed coach at Clemson etc etc...

http://www.reflector.com/sports/ecu/holtz-quiets-syracuse-rumor-249548.html

hopefully u get your alum in edsall,,alums are good if they can also coach,,,

skip holtz's speech yesterday didnt take him out of running..ecu havin bad year after big start,,,i think holtz is finding north/south carolina too hard to recruit in with davis at unc, obrien at NCSU, Grobe at Wake, Spurrier at South Car, cutlcliffe at duke,unamed coach at Clemson etc etc...

http://www.reflector.com/sports/ecu/holtz-quiets-syracuse-rumor-249548.html

There are soo many names in the running for this job I've lost count.

best news for syracuse is last line,,they have outsourced the coaching search to hired neinas ,,he is the best and will get u a good fit,,might notr be what u want, but neinas usually gets the right fit for a program..

The Name Game: Edsall, Holtz, Ianello Names Surface at Syracuse

November 19, 2008 by admin

Filed under Coaching Scoop, Featured

Leave a comment

best news for syracuse is last line,,they have outsourced the coaching search to hired neinas ,,he is the best and will get u a good fit,,might notr be what u want, but neinas usually gets the right fit for a program..

The Name Game: Edsall, Holtz, Ianello Names Surface at Syracuse

November 19, 2008 by admin

Filed under Coaching Scoop, Featured

Leave a comment

“The Name Game” at Football Rumor Mill focuses on active coaching searches around the country. The latest edition centers on the Syracuse Orange…

East Carolina head football coach Skip Holtz said Tuesday he hasn’t spoken with anyone regarding the coaching vacancy at Syracuse University. In fact, Holtz said his quest for a Conference USA title with the Pirates renders any talk of future jobs at other schools to nothing more than a distraction. The Pirates’ fourth-year coach was mentioned Monday on ESPN as a potential candidate for the job at Syracuse. But Holtz was only concerned with UAB, the team currently standing between the 6-4 Pirates and the title in C-USA’s East Division. “It is flattering that everybody throws your name out, but I haven’t talked to anybody. I’m very happy where I am right now,” Holtz said after practice Tuesday night. “We’ve got so much to get done here right now, we’re knee-deep in it. This is a challenging week for us as a football team, a program, a coaching staff.” Holtz said one of the things that usually characterizes a great season for a team is an absence of distraction. “They’re distractions right now,” Holtz said of the Syracuse rumors. “They take us away from what we’re trying to do right now. UAB is where all of our focus is.” – Daily Reflector

Despite saying he’s not interested in being a candidate for the vacancy at Syracuse University, UConn head football coach Randy Edsall refused to distance himself from the position Tuesday. Asked to refute continued speculation in reports out of upstate New York saying the former Orange player and assistant coach is still in the running, Edsall refused to simply say no. “I made the statement (Monday),” he said referring to a published report Monday. “The statement says what it says and that’s it. I want to talk about South Florida. I dealt with that (Monday).” – Norwich Bulletin

Notre Dame wide receivers coach Rob Ianello, whose name has been mentioned in media reports as a possible candidate for the Syracuse job, said he wants to become a head coach. “If that opportunity ever arose, I certainly would look into it at any school that I thought had a great opportunity to win,” he said after practice Tuesday night. Asked whether he thought Syracuse has a great opportunity to win, Ianello said he doesn’t know enough about the program. Ianello, a native of Port Chester, N.Y., said he has not been contacted by Syracuse. Ianello’s name popped up as a potential candidate for the Syracuse job after Orange coach Greg Robinson was fired Sunday. – Chicago Tribune

Word has it that Syracuse has hired Neinas to help find a replacement for Greg Robinson. Frankly, that seems unnecessary. Why not just call Randy Edsall at UConn, a former Syracuse linebacker, and throw money at him until he decides to come home? But I guess that’s not the way it works these days. When it comes to coaching searches, it’s all about covering your bases. – Tennessean

Yes, this was reported in the NYT earlier this season. According to them and various other sources from the NCAA, Syracuse, and Uconn.... Neinas sent out feelers to various head coaches and assistants at prominent programs that have any ties whatsoever to either Syracuse University or Athletic Director Daryl Gross. He reportedly came back to Gross in the week before the Cuse-Rutgers game, with the three best coaches that are most likely to sign with 'Cuse. The speculation has overwhelmingly said that Edsall was the clear cut #1 name on that list.

Again, this is all speculation as Gross has denied hiring anyone to help, and has denied talking to or contacting any coaches before he fired Robinson on Sunday.

One thing is for sure, whoever comes here is going to need to be young enough, motivated enough, and patient enough to commit a good 10 or so years here before he starts seeing the fruits of his labor. Greg Robinson set this program so far back its actually disgusting.

One thing is for sure, whoever comes here is going to need to be young enough, motivated enough, and patient enough to commit a good 10 or so years here before he starts seeing the fruits of his labor. Greg Robinson set this program so far back its actually disgusting.

Never happen,,

syracuse isnt even CLOSE to being a program that can keep a guy 10 years IF he does great there..unless he is tied for non football reasons to job,,

if a coach at syracuse does great its off to SEC or Big 10

Never happen,,

syracuse isnt even CLOSE to being a program that can keep a guy 10 years IF he does great there..unless he is tied for non football reasons to job,,

if a coach at syracuse does great its off to SEC or Big 10

By doing great...That means that 5 or 6 years from now we'll be around a .500 team. As I was saying, it may very well take ten years if said coach just does an 'okay' job.

By doing great...That means that 5 or 6 years from now we'll be around a .500 team. As I was saying, it may very well take ten years if said coach just does an 'okay' job.

if a coach is 500 at the 5/6 year mark a ta BIG East school I would assume he is on chopping block

if a coach is 500 at the 5/6 year mark a ta BIG East school I would assume he is on chopping block

Dude, Robinson's record here was 9-38... Took us four years to finally give him the boot. And he took over a team that made a bowl game in both '03 and '04, and had a hard verbal from arguably the best RB in the East in Ray Rice. Dumbf**k Gross took over, fired the old coach, hired G-Slob, and sent the program back to the f'ing stone age in just 4 short years.

If any coach was able to maintain a .500 record through 5 or 6 years...He'd be treated like a savior before he'd be on the chopping block.

Dude, Robinson's record here was 9-38... Took us four years to finally give him the boot. And he took over a team that made a bowl game in both '03 and '04, and had a hard verbal from arguably the best RB in the East in Ray Rice. Dumbf**k Gross took over, fired the old coach, hired G-Slob, and sent the program back to the f'ing stone age in just 4 short years.

If any coach was able to maintain a .500 record through 5 or 6 years...He'd be treated like a savior before he'd be on the chopping block.

well i feel sad if your program would be happy at the 6 yea rmark with a 500 team...

one off year ok,,but after 6 years , he should only still be there cause u r consistently a 8 win team

well i feel sad if your program would be happy at the 6 yea rmark with a 500 team...

one off year ok,,but after 6 years , he should only still be there cause u r consistently a 8 win team

Seriously? You know we haven't achieved a win total higher than 4 since 2005, right?

Since Robinson took over in '05, we've gone 1-10, 4-8, 2-10, and 2-10. We hadn't had a ten loss season in school history until G-Rob took over...He's had three in just four seasons. Since 2005 we've won a grand total of 3 Big East games, considering the BE is the WORST BCS conf. in the nation, that is a true testament as to how much Greg Robinson has f'ed up this program completely. Not only was G-Rob constantly losing pretty much every game, but he also was an incompetent enough recruiter to allow teams such as Rutgers and Uconn to match, and then surpass Syracuse in the NE recruiting race, once dominated by Syracuse.... So now we're left with a team thats used to losing, a fanbase that is so dispirited they literally haven't cared enough to show up for games, and a future that, because of the recruiting situation now, is rather bleak.

Its going to take a lot of work and a lot of time for the new coach who will have to both stop the bleeding his first couple years (start developing ties with local HS's, stop scheduling Penn St. ND, and USC...) And then begin to turn the program around (win some games, land some recruits) the next three or four years. To expect a new coach to take this team (whose best players btw are all graduating this year), a 2 win team...And turn it into a consistent 6-8 game winner per year overnight is just delusional and insane. If we decided to fire Robinson a year or two earlier, or if Gross kept coach P (whose teams were usually a solid .500) for just 1 more year so he had time to find a viable replacement, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a coach to come in and turn SU into an 8-10 game winner. But G-ROB set this program back so far, our new coach will literally be charged with starting all over again.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and unfortunately, neither will Syracuse football be, no matter who agrees to take the job.

Seriously? You know we haven't achieved a win total higher than 4 since 2005, right?

Since Robinson took over in '05, we've gone 1-10, 4-8, 2-10, and 2-10. We hadn't had a ten loss season in school history until G-Rob took over...He's had three in just four seasons. Since 2005 we've won a grand total of 3 Big East games, considering the BE is the WORST BCS conf. in the nation, that is a true testament as to how much Greg Robinson has f'ed up this program completely. Not only was G-Rob constantly losing pretty much every game, but he also was an incompetent enough recruiter to allow teams such as Rutgers and Uconn to match, and then surpass Syracuse in the NE recruiting race, once dominated by Syracuse.... So now we're left with a team thats used to losing, a fanbase that is so dispirited they literally haven't cared enough to show up for games, and a future that, because of the recruiting situation now, is rather bleak.

Its going to take a lot of work and a lot of time for the new coach who will have to both stop the bleeding his first couple years (start developing ties with local HS's, stop scheduling Penn St. ND, and USC...) And then begin to turn the program around (win some games, land some recruits) the next three or four years. To expect a new coach to take this team (whose best players btw are all graduating this year), a 2 win team...And turn it into a consistent 6-8 game winner per year overnight is just delusional and insane. If we decided to fire Robinson a year or two earlier, or if Gross kept coach P (whose teams were usually a solid .500) for just 1 more year so he had time to find a viable replacement, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a coach to come in and turn SU into an 8-10 game winner. But G-ROB set this program back so far, our new coach will literally be charged with starting all over again.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and unfortunately, neither will Syracuse football be, no matter who agrees to take the job.

again, after 6 years he is FIRED......

that would mean he has ALL his own kids from 5 years of recruiting,,u dam well better be better than 500 after that at a major school,,if not u hired wrong guy

again, after 6 years he is FIRED......

that would mean he has ALL his own kids from 5 years of recruiting,,u dam well better be better than 500 after that at a major school,,if not u hired wrong guy

Its going to be hard unless its a big name coach. Since the hiring of Robinson, we have not only lost football games, we have lost practically all of our East Coast recruiting ties we once owned... Now we're left competing with ECU and UB for bottom of the barrel, two star recruit, leftovers that schools like Pitt, Uconn, and Rutgers passed on...

Rumor going around is still, believe it or not, that Edsall is going to take the job after he concludes the season at Uconn (Dec 6th). Saw in a local paper that a Uconn source reported that Edsall is considering leaving Uconn for 'Cuse not only for the money and the fact that he spent so much time at 'Cuse, but because 'Cuse has also put in a lot of money recently to upgrade many of their practice facilities, they just recently built a new, state of the art football wing, and, Edsall feels that while he has had success building up Uconn... He feels as if he can go further at 'Cuse, because Syracuse is a big enough school with a big enough name and enough past success to recruit for itself more than Uconn can now. Therefore, he feels that if he can rebuild 'Cuse the way he's rebuilt Uconn, the school will start to sell itself more than Uconn does and he can do even better because of that.

Its going to be hard unless its a big name coach. Since the hiring of Robinson, we have not only lost football games, we have lost practically all of our East Coast recruiting ties we once owned... Now we're left competing with ECU and UB for bottom of the barrel, two star recruit, leftovers that schools like Pitt, Uconn, and Rutgers passed on...

Rumor going around is still, believe it or not, that Edsall is going to take the job after he concludes the season at Uconn (Dec 6th). Saw in a local paper that a Uconn source reported that Edsall is considering leaving Uconn for 'Cuse not only for the money and the fact that he spent so much time at 'Cuse, but because 'Cuse has also put in a lot of money recently to upgrade many of their practice facilities, they just recently built a new, state of the art football wing, and, Edsall feels that while he has had success building up Uconn... He feels as if he can go further at 'Cuse, because Syracuse is a big enough school with a big enough name and enough past success to recruit for itself more than Uconn can now. Therefore, he feels that if he can rebuild 'Cuse the way he's rebuilt Uconn, the school will start to sell itself more than Uconn does and he can do even better because of that.

if edsall can compete at uconn, then after 6 years he should be at 7-9 wins yearly,,at collge level its all about the coach, his XsOs, his recruiting skill and most important, his ORGANIZATIONAL capabilities

if edsall can compete at uconn, then after 6 years he should be at 7-9 wins yearly,,at collge level its all about the coach, his XsOs, his recruiting skill and most important, his ORGANIZATIONAL capabilities

I agree. I think it might even take less time with Edsall because he does have extensive recruiting ties in the East, having worked at both Syracuse as an assistant and Uconn as a Head Coach... Nevermind the fact he's also from the east coast, and knows the atmosphere of the school, and its infastructure (Carrier Dome) very well.

I also don't think Edsall will leave 'Cuse for an SEC/Big10/Big12 school even if he does do well here... Seems that, after reading the reports, he feels that Syracuse is capable of eventually winning the Big East and getting to a bowl game...And remaining on top of the conference for awhile once its built up back to where it was pre-robinson. Remember, the BE has deteriorated significantly since '04 as well. The teams fielded by Coach P in his later years may very well have been Big East title contenders today...

Well, Edsall isn't a done deal yet.

Just talked to a guy I know who works for the athletic dept., and he said AD Daryl Gross has received large packages, probably resumes, from various coaches, including Lane Kiffen and Adazzio, as well as some other east coast coords he's never heard of...

Its going to be a very interesting few months in 'Cuse... Gross better get it right this time around.

I agree. I think it might even take less time with Edsall because he does have extensive recruiting ties in the East, having worked at both Syracuse as an assistant and Uconn as a Head Coach... Nevermind the fact he's also from the east coast, and knows the atmosphere of the school, and its infastructure (Carrier Dome) very well.

I also don't think Edsall will leave 'Cuse for an SEC/Big10/Big12 school even if he does do well here... Seems that, after reading the reports, he feels that Syracuse is capable of eventually winning the Big East and getting to a bowl game...And remaining on top of the conference for awhile once its built up back to where it was pre-robinson. Remember, the BE has deteriorated significantly since '04 as well. The teams fielded by Coach P in his later years may very well have been Big East title contenders today...

u never know, but if a HISTORIC top program ever came callin (USC, Penn Stste, OSU, Mich, Alabama, Texas etc) it would be hard for ayoung coach to say no,,after all, the yare in the coaching business..

fans of team sometinmes get too emotional about the importance of ones own program..

Archived