Eric Mangini has done a great job this year

BP

prevent defense allows the teams to make the other teams from scoring quick with less time. ultimately you have to make the other teams not go out of bounds and save time. you want them to stay in the middle in hurry up offense which puts pressure on the offense, and players can make mistakes

Then why do the other teams score so quickly?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then why do the other teams score so quickly?

not all teams score quickly. with the jets our LB core has been suspect against fast TEs and Wrs. coupled that with some of the QBs we have faced have been really mobile and were able to avoid getting sacked. and when you extend plays like that no matter how good coverage is somebody gets open. its Football 101

not all teams score quickly. with the jets our LB core has been suspect against fast TEs and Wrs. coupled that with some of the QBs we have faced have been really mobile and were able to avoid getting sacked. and when you extend plays like that no matter how good coverage is somebody gets open. its Football 101

Against the Jets prevent the Titans scored in under 1:30. The Pats put up at least two drives under 2:30 and only one of the Cards five TD drives took over 3 minutes. That's not a prevent, it's a disgrace. The mobile QBs in two of those games were Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. There is something wrong with the scheme if a D specifically designed to slow a team down and prevent TDs and quick scores is giving up drives like that.

Against the Jets prevent the Titans scored in under 1:30. The Pats put up at least two drives under 2:30 and only one of the Cards five TD drives took over 3 minutes. That's not a prevent, it's a disgrace. The mobile QBs in two of those games were Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. There is something wrong with the scheme if a D specifically designed to slow a team down and prevent TDs and quick scores is giving up drives like that.

It's been maddening to watch, though at least we survived those games with wins.

But really, if that's our prevent defense, then it serves no purpose & we might as well put the same pressure on that we normally do.

If it was so easy for a team to march down the field by sending 5 receivers out there on every play, no offensive coordinator would ever deviate from that strategy against us. It seems that strategy only works when we drop 7 guys into coverage & give the QB 8 seconds to find an open target.

It's been maddening to watch, though at least we survived those games with wins.

But really, if that's our prevent defense, then it serves no purpose & we might as well put the same pressure on that we normally do.

If it was so easy for a team to march down the field by sending 5 receivers out there on every play, no offensive coordinator would ever deviate from that strategy against us. It seems that strategy only works when we drop 7 guys into coverage & give the QB 8 seconds to find an open target.

I'm not one of the guys saying it's a lack of pressure. The idea of using a prevent is correct, but they have to monkey around with it or, as you say, play standard D. I think they are still working out the kinks. Law should help. I noticed that they started subbing Spencer at LB because he is more mobile. Spencer doesn't look like much in coverage, but he can cover more ground and cover and he's no worse than Bowens or Harris in coverage.

It may already be getting better. The Rams never put up anything and the Titans (and Pats last drive) involved good throws and catches to covered players.

your talking about patriots, titans and cardinals as they are wishy washy offenses. jets defense has performed well against a lot of very good offenses. but you have to realize that the other teams get paid too.

I think that is one of the keys to the problem. You might also add RB's to that.

IMO the Jets made a conscious decision in the off season to sacrifice coverage, for run stuffing, pass rushing kind of LB's.

Teams have picked up on that, and are really exploiting the BIG LB's the Jets have. When you look at the Jets DB's, they really aren't that bad. Revis, and Rhodes are All Pro's in waiting. Lowery isn't at this point as good as a lot of Jets fans thought he was in the beginning of the season, but he is still a promising young CB. Not REALLY good, but not bad. He has been picked on a lot. Mostly because of Revis. He has been hot and cold.

Elam has been a major upgrade. He is adequate in coverage, a sledge hammer, and a play maker.

That's not a bad defensive backfield. What's the problem?

If you look at the stats of the Titans game you will see Elam had the most tackles. The Titans used a short passing game to move the ball. The LB's should have been making the tackles in the defensive set the Jets were using. What was actually happening was receptions were being made 6-7 yards upfield, and should have been tackled immediately by a LB, but they were in the open, and had to be tackled 15 yards or so upfield by a defensive back.

The LB's can't cover, and aren't in a position to make the tackle. If the Jets are going to make a serious Super Bowl run this bleeding has to stop.

The Jets signed Ty Law. I really didn't have good feelings about it. I just didn't see what Law could contribute in the Pats and Titans game. He played great.

I think/hope Law is going to be the wild card here. He has won the "starting" job. That's a bit misleading in that I think he and Lowery are going to work as a team alot to take 1 receiver out of a game. In NE it was Moss.. They did a real nice job.

I think what they are going to try to do is have Law on the LOS and knock receivers around. Knock them off their timing routes. Lowery who has reputation as being a ball hawk is going to play off a bit, and try to snag some turn overs from receivers who are hand fighting with Law. We'll see.

Law could also serve another purpose, and maybe a big one. He is going to be the guy at the LOS. Once he releases a WR to Lowery, he is free to make a tackle of a TE or RB underneath. Law is an excellent tackler.

I'm hoping this is the solution to the passing underneath problem the Jets are having. If it is, a major problem has been healed for the stretch run.

This is a good week to find out. The Bronco's are a pass first offense. Cuttler is a very good QB. I'm worried about this game. I think Law and Lowery are really going to step up in this game.

We'll see

Against the Jets prevent the Titans scored in under 1:30.

please define prevent

even simms went out of his way to say during that drive, "this is not a prevent defense"

my definition is a 3 man rush and 8 in coverage, with at least 3 deep safeties

what did you see during that drive ?

please define prevent

even simms went out of his way to say during that drive, "this is not a prevent defense"

I definitely don't define it as only a 3 man rush, but I might limit it to four. If you can only rush 3 then no 4-3 team can run prevent without switching out. You're right I'm not sure what exactly they were in on that drive, but I'm pretty sure Simms was referring to them still bringing people. I believe they sent Pace on the play he mentioned. On the Gage catch they rushed 4 and I'm pretty sure had 6 DBs

For me prevent is when you try to stop long gains and TDs and force teams to take time to score. Funnel the ball to the middle of the field so they can't get out of bounds and make the tackle. No matter what D the Jets play, that's what they are trying to do at the end of these games and for most of the season they have failed miserably.

This D is predicated on stopping the run and surprise. Blitzes come from anywhere and that can create turnovers, but as others have pointed out - the LBs can't cover and I don't think Elam/Smith are much in coverage either.

please define prevent

This is a good question.

The Jets use several versions of the "prevent". In the Titans game they seemed to go into a semi "prevent" in the 3rd, then switched to a very aggressive D for a series, then back to another version of the "prevent".

I'm good with what they are doing until they lose a game because of the "prevent". Then our comes the torches and pitchforks.

Archived