Yankee fans!

NIGHT STALKER

What's up with the team not willing to work out a deal with Bobby Abreu? I understand that fences and walls are like kryptonite with him, but he's clutch most of the time, knocks in 100 runs and hits around 300 every year. What am I missing here? A team that had trouble scoring runs last year...how do you replace a bat like that?

Bobby needed to go. His salary was insane and he was good, not great. They can get similar production for much less cash.

From who Max? Kind of difficult to replace that bat. Matsui has been hurt the past two years...can't count on him. Gardner is never going to knock in 100 runs. Damon? Who knows. This is not going to be an easy replacement.

Nady is about the only one I have confidence in. Yanks need a bat in the outfield. I still think they're going to make a trade of some kind. You just don't lose that kind of production in Abreu without some kind of option on the back burner.

What's up with the team not willing to work out a deal with Bobby Abreu? I understand that fences and walls are like kryptonite with him, but he's clutch most of the time, knocks in 100 runs and hits around 300 every year. What am I missing here? A team that had trouble scoring runs last year...how do you replace a bat like that?

Here are the factors:

1) A crowded corner-outfield with Matsui, Nady, Damon, maybe some Swish...

2) Weak power numbers for a RF.

3) He's not worth what he would make through arbitration.

If the Yankees could move one of those other corner outfielders, then maybe they could re-sign Abreu, but they won't do it at his salary from last year.

Yanks need a bat in the outfield. I still think they're going to make a trade of some kind.

If they make a trade, it will be for CF. There was a brief flirtation with Mike Cameron, but the only available CF I would be interested in is probably DeJesus.

Yeah, that's a tough decision. He isn't worth $16+ million, but I think if I were the yankees, I would have at least offered him arbitration and tried to get him to sign somewhere else. Even tell him he'd be a 4th outfielder if they had to.

He's lazy, and I'd even argue that he's a cancer to some of the players.

Lazy, how? Ever watch that guy hustle down the line? Like I mentioned in the original post, he's not what I like near the wall and fences. Replacing his offensive numbers isn't going to be easy.

If Matsui is healthy was there really a spot for Abreu at 16mill? We can say someone always gets hurt but do you have insurance at 16 million a year?

I am assuming right now the plan is Damon in LF - Someone in CF and Nady in RF.

Swisher would be at 1b with Matsui DHing. Abreu's year was good enough where he almost certainly wasn't getting a paycut at a hearing so I understand the move.

He's not worth a long term deal, but they still should've offered him arbitration. If he accepted a one-year deal, it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world. And if some other team was desperate or stupid enough to sign him, they would've received two draft picks.

He's not a stupid signing. He's just not worth 16mill to the Yanks as they are currently configured.

I'd give him 2 yrs 22 mill if I need a RF and cough up the picks.

Archived