New York Post Article

Vicious89x

I think we've had people argue over "it's the players, it's the coaching staff." I've sided with the fact that our coach just doesn't motivate these guys, he's not a leader... just a manager. It is an op article. Just posting it for discussion.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sports/jets/jets_becoming_too_much_like_meek_mangini_143474.htm

JETS BECOMING TOO MUCH LIKE MEEK MANGINI

briancostello.jpg

Posted: 8:13 am

December 10, 2008

DURING Eric Mangini's first year as Jets New York Jets t.gif coach, some of the players nicknamed him "The Penguin."

The moniker was given because of his body shape and the way he waddles when he walks. It also fits Mangini's public persona - serene, non-confrontational and never hot, just like the bird.

WHAT'S UP: AFC (PHOTOS)

Problem is, the Jets have begun to adapt that same persona, playing with the same lack of emotion Mangini shows in his weekly press conferences. Girl Scout troops show more fire than the Jets did in defeats to the Broncos and the 49ers, and the blame lies with Mangini.

The coach preaches the same flat-line approach week after week that's taken out of Coachspeak 101, "Never get too high, never get too low. Treat every game the same - win or lose."

Well, you know what? Every game isn't the same.

When the Jets beat Tennessee two weeks ago, that should have been the confidence boost that carried this team down the stretch run. But instead of thumping their chests after that game, they downplayed the victory.

On Sunday, the Jets laid down in San Francisco against a team that hadn't had a winning record all year.

They were flat - again. This was all the more galling, coming seven days after their embarrassing performance against the Broncos. We heard all week about how the Denver loss was a "wake-up call," but it was clear the Jets hit the snooze button.

Still, you won't hear Mangini tweak his players this week, a practice Bill Parcells made a motivational art form. And you also won't hear any players guarantee the Bills will be road kill this week at Giants Stadium.

Mangini has conditioned his players to be unconfident, not just through his tepid words but also through his in-game decisions.

In San Francisco, Mangini set the tone for the game on the first drive. Mike Singletary opened the game with an onside kick, giving the Jets the ball at the 49ers' 46. Here was Mangini's chance to punch the 49ers in the gut by letting Brett Favre go for the end zone right away. Instead, Thomas Jones Thomas Jones t.gif gained three yards up the middle.

Two plays later, the Jets faced fourth-and-2 on the San Francisco 38. You could hear Jet fans from Montauk to Manahawkin screaming, "Go for it!" But Mangini opted to punt, the ball going into the end zone for a net of 18 yards.

Mangini said he wanted to pin down the 49ers in their own end. Did he get confused when he saw Mike Martz on the other sideline and think these were the 1999 Rams? The Niners scored 10 points - 10 measly points - against Buffalo the previous week.

Rather than pinning down the Niners, Mangini lifted their spirits and sent a message to his offense that he didn't have faith in them to get two yards.

Now the Bills limp into East Rutherford, having scored six points combined in their last two games. It's the perfect setup for the Jets to make a statement.

The Jets need to find their swagger this week. Run over the Bills. Plant J.P Losman in the turf so deep he'll taste swamp water. Come out firing and don't stop until the score is about 40-0.

If the Jets want to be taken seriously, it's time to start strutting like pea****s instead of waddling like penguins.

I have always thought that teams take on the persona of their HC's and that I would hate for our team to take on the non-emotional, everything is just fine attitude that Mangini displays.

Well, maybe this article is right.

It's starting to feel like that... I mean when I hear these players talk on the radio they're kind of like "yea it's disappointing, we need to execute, we're just focused on this week." I'm not saying I want a locker room diva, But I do think I want a coach who can grab someone by their face mask and scream at them. The team just looks deflated on the field and off, just like Mangini.

Great article..

Everyone is a in a rush to copy off of Belichick while forgetting that a) Belichick made his bones as a top flight DC for years and B) Belichick didn't win a god damn thing until a QB brought a winning attitude to the organization

Football is partially a game of emotion, we need to get some coaches and players who show some.

Great article..

Everyone is a in a rush to copy off of Belichick while forgetting that a) Belichick made his bones as a top flight DC for years and B) Belichick didn't win a god damn thing until a QB brought a winning attitude to the organization

Football is partially a game of emotion, we need to get some coaches and players who show some.

Agreed. There is a happy medium between Mangini(lifeless) and Herm(male cheerleader)

Great article..

Definitely. I hate BB, with all my heart and soul but the one thing the man is, it is that he lets people know when they screw up. People in the media make him out to be "emotionless" but from the post game interviews I've seen it's clear he's pissed when they lose, he doesn't want to talk to the media, he wants to get in the locker room, put his guys in line and get right back to work.

Eric Mangini is the opposite of Wade Phillips yet the same guy. Wade Phillips smiles and is a jolly guy, Mangini just pouts... but their both devoid of the proper emotions to lead a team into battle, literal BATTLE every Sunday.

Great article..

Yeah, but if you have watched BB on the sidelines....he actually coaches. He goes and talks to different units on the team and gets firey. He talks to them about what they need the next time they take the field. You just dont see Mangini do these things.

If you have ever scene practice footage, he gets in the face of his players.

He actually coaches. I dont know that Mangini does anything of that nature.

Yeah, but if you have watched BB on the sidelines....he actually coaches. He goes and talks to different units on the team and gets firey. He talks to them about what they need the next time they take the field. You just dont see Mangini do these things.

I've pointed this out myself, if his defense does something stupid he let's his offensive coordinator do this offensive thing and BB goes over and chews out his defense. That's because that's HIS strength. What's Mangini's strength? Standing on the sideline and pouting?

I didn't say he doesn't coach, in fact I said he was a great DC. Mangini was a terrible one..

I was talking about this even keeled, robotic consistency mantra where every player is just a COG in the brilliant machine he created...

I've pointed this out myself, if his defense does something stupid he let's his offensive coordinator do this offensive thing and BB goes over and chews out his defense. That's because that's HIS strength. What's Mangini's strength? Standing on the sideline and pouting?

Eating, and being in a Sopranos' episode....eating.

Archived