You do realize that if Burnett doesnt pitch against the Yanks last year...

Matt39

They probably make the playoffs. 91 mill is a lot for a guy who is injury prone. But this isnt Carl Pavano- he has DOMINANT stuff when he's on. Not to mention, he dominated the Sox last year too.

Burnett was as big of a Yankee killer this side of Chuck Finley. Having that on our roster now is worth it in itself imo. Plus, it helps he kills the Sox too.

They probably make the playoffs. 91 mill is a lot for a guy who is injury prone. But this isnt Carl Pavano- he has DOMINANT stuff when he's on. Not to mention, he dominated the Sox last year too.

Burnett was as big of a Yankee killer this side of Chuck Finley. Having that on our roster now is worth it in itself imo. Plus, it helps he kills the Sox too.

He was 2-0 versus the Sox. He was 3-1 versus the Yankees. You were 6 games back of the WC. Can you explain your saber-mathematics of you being in the playoffs?

I know... I'm messin with Pkfish.

Well, lol...I looked it up. He only started 5 games vs the Yanks. I guess it seemed like a ton more considering he always killed us.

One of the games the Yanks won 2-1. Burnett got the loss in that.

SO, the playoffs is a bit of an exaggeration, but this guy clearly kills the Yankees.

So because he did well against the Yankees for one season that warrants signing him for $18 mill over the next 5 years? I'm not following.

If they let him go to the Braves, that wouldn't be a problem.

There are many players who seem to "kill the Yankees." Doesn't mean they're good fits for the team, especially when overpaying mightily.

After reading the text below, I don't want the POS...Yanks have laid out a contract that is worth more than he deserves and he's holding out to see if some other team beats it...**** him.

The Yankees, after reaching a preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, have emerged as the clear front-runner for free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, according to major-league sources.

Burnett's representatives were expected to contact interested clubs Thursday, giving them one last chance to beat the Yankees offer of five years and approximately $85 million.

So because he did well against the Yankees for one season that warrants signing him for $18 mill over the next 5 years? I'm not following.

If they let him go to the Braves, that wouldn't be a problem.

There are many players who seem to "kill the Yankees." Doesn't mean they're good fits for the team, especially when overpaying mightily.

Id rather him than Lowe.

After reading the text below, I don't want the POS...Yanks have laid out a contract that is worth more than he deserves and he's holding out to see if some other team beats it...**** him.

The Yankees, after reaching a preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, have emerged as the clear front-runner for free-agent right-hander A.J. Burnett, according to major-league sources.

Burnett's representatives were expected to contact interested clubs Thursday, giving them one last chance to beat the Yankees offer of five years and approximately $85 million.

Maybe, Yankees are not that attractive an option and the player does not want to whore themselves out.

I dont know why you guys care about how much money the Yankees spend when there isnt a salary cap, and it seems as if they have a bottomless checkbook.

if they wanan throw 80 million away to Burnett, then I dont see a problem.

I dont know why you guys care about how much money the Yankees spend when there isnt a salary cap, and it seems as if they have a bottomless checkbook.

Money at this point is irrelevant to teams like the Yanks, Mets, Boston.

It's not irrelevant, especially in a faltering economy. If it wasn't relevant Carlos Beltran would be a New York Yankee. The Yankees do have a spending limit, and signing Burnett would preclude them from taking a run at another player over the next couple of years.

The Yankees could have afforded Beltran. Money has NEVER prevented the Yankees from signing a player.

Says the Red Sucks fan with two rings in the past decade. I think the Yanks have three in that span...that is rather stupid not to win all 10.:rolleyes:

Why not go back 5 years? Funny how the perspective changes.

Because the more they spend, the harder the player is to get rid of. Giambi would've been gone a long time ago if he didn't have a big contract. He definitely wouldn't have been manning first base.

The Yankees could have afforded Beltran. Money has NEVER prevented the Yankees from signing a player.

In fact, in an exclusive interview with The Post, Cashman strongly indicated the Yankees will not even sign Sabathia and Teixeira in tandem.

"At the pricetags I have read, that is fantasy land, not reality land," Cashman said yesterday of bringing in Sabathia and Teixeira. A Yankees executive said the club has not even created scenarios for assembling a 2009 roster in which it signs the most attractive starter and position player in the free-agent market.

The plan is to concentrate on starting pitching, namely Sabathia, and - at best - Teixeira is a backburner issue in case all the rotation avenues prove fruitless. Teixeira was pushed further to the backburner yesterday when the Yanks obtained Nick Swisher, who, as of now, projects to be the starting first baseman.

This offseason, therefore, is starting to mimic in planning the offseason of 2004-05. That winter the Yankees decided they could afford either an ace left-hander (Randy Johnson) or a Scott Boras-represented switch-hitter (Carlos Beltran), but not both. The Yanks opted for Johnson. They used the rest of their available dollars to round out the rotation with Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11142008/sports/yankees/swisher_means_teixeira_unlikely_138588.htm

Archived