Gill staying put in Buffalo with new contract

Lil Bit Special

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-buffalo-gill&prov=ap&type=lgns

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)—Buffalo coach Turner Gill is staying put for at least another season and won’t consider interviewing for any more jobs after receiving a one-year contract extension and raise Tuesday.

The new deal, which runs through 2013, is reward for a first-time coach who in three years turned around a program that was one of the worst in major college football.

The Bulls won their first Mid-American Conference title this season and will face Connecticut in the International Bowl at Toronto on Jan. 3.

Gill was a candidate for openings at Auburn and Syracuse.

Auburn hired Iowa State coach Gene Chizik and Syracuse went with New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Doug Marrone last week.

There was further speculation Gill would be considered a candidate to take over at Iowa State.

Gill put an immediate end to any further speculation by saying he’s not going anywhere.

“I’m going to be here at the University at Buffalo,” the former Nebraska star said after practice. “I’ve given you my word, I’ve given my football team our word that I will be the football coach in 2009 at the University at Buffalo.”

This is the second consecutive year Gill has earned a new contract. He signed an extension in January after the Bulls went 5-7, their best record since joining the MAC in 1999.

Buffalo (8-5) bettered that record this year and is coming off the program’s biggest victory, upsetting previously undefeated Ball State 42-24 in the MAC championship game on Dec. 5. The Bulls have a 15-22 record in three years under Gill after going 10-69 in their previous seven seasons.

The Bulls’ remarkable turnaround has raised Gill’s profile significantly, even drawing the attention of former NBA star and Auburn alumnus Charles Barkley.

Barkley was pulling for Gill to take over, and said race was a factor in the Tigers hiring Chizik, a white coach, over Gill, who is black.

“I believe race is a factor,” Barkley told The Associated Press on Monday, noting that Gill had a better record than Chizik.

Chizik took over a difficult rebuilding project at Iowa State and went 5-19 in his first two seasons after successful stints as defensive coordinator at Auburn and Texas.

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs denied race was a factor, saying he picked “the best fit for Auburn.”

Gill said he was treated fairly by Auburn. As for Barkley’s comments, Gill said people are entitled to their opinions.

“Charles Barkley had an opportunity to speak his words, but (Auburn) gave me a fair opportunity and it wasn’t a fit,” Gill said. “I had a great opportunity and that’s all you can ask for.”

Gill said he reached the decision to stay in Buffalo on Monday, and felt it was important to announce his intentions to clear up any speculation among his players and potential recruits.

Buffalo athletic director Warde Manuel credited Gill and his staff for making the Bulls relevant.

“They have brought unprecedented attention to the university and have been great ambassadors for the school,” Manuel said. “I am thrilled that Turner will remain as our head coach.”

Archived