Fashanu + Corley vs. Odunze + 4th Rd. OLmen?

That assumes we would have given up our 3rd. Going to say 8 would have cost us 2 4th. In that scenario it would have been Odunze + Amegadjie. I think this is a more fair comparison and probably closer to even.

Considering how many good prospects are still on the board, these 4th rounders are going to be nice. I think JD did the right think moving back to 11 and getting an OT. I prefer the approach he took. But I would have been fine with a trade up to 8 as well. But we know that a trade up was not even an option. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think they actually had an opportunity to move up. If we pretend they did they could've moved up a bit for Odunze and then a little for Suamataia last night. Today would be less fun and probably would be down a pick next year but think we’d all have been pretty pumped about that outcome.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

According to a few beat reports, Jets tried moving up to get a top 3 WR. Odunze would be the only possible player due to our lack of draft capital. So…. Odunze + a late 4th OL pick or Fashanu & Corley.

I’m happy with how things turned out!

I have been saying all along is if the Jets picked a top tier receiver at #10, they would have to settle for a 3rd tier left tackle at #72.

Doing it this way, at least they can have more trust, in if Tyron gets injured, that Fashanu can step in and better protect Rodgers.

I feel that while Corley is not a top tier receiver, he adds an element to the offense that will be dynamic, and immediately pay off dividends.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

According to a few beat reports, Jets tried moving up to get a top 3 WR. Odunze would be the only possible player due to our lack of draft capital. So…. Odunze + a late 4th OL pick or Fashanu & Corley.

I’m happy with how things turned out!

We don't know what would have happened had he been successful in trading up for Odzune.

For example, he may have been successful again and traded up to get Rosengarten.

Rosengarten + Odzune is a clear (prospect wise) improvement over Fashanu + Corley, I think and I think most would have said prior to the draft.

What happened happened, and these guys haven't played a single NFL down yet.  Evaluations come later.  

Keep in mind, not long ago people here thought Becton + Mims was better than ...

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, BigRy56 said:

It’s not even close. 2 good players vs 1 good player and a lottery ticket. I’ll take Fashanu and Corley

It's not close because odunze was never an option. Nobody would trade out. This is a pointless thread. 

A better question is Bowers (big slot yac guy) plus bum oline vs franchise LT olu and yac god corley

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We don't know what would have happened had he been successful in trading up for Odzune.

For example, he may have been successful again and traded up to get Rosengarten.

If we traded up 2 spots, from 10 to 8, we would have had to give up #72 pick, and something else.  By trading back, we got an extra 4th and 5th round pick.  There would have been no way to get up to get Rosengarten, unless we gave up draft picks in next years draft.

So, we would not have been successful to get Rosengarten.  Additionally, if Tyron goes down, we need a top level left tackle that can protect Rodgers on his blind side.  Fashanu is the best pass protector on the left tackle spot in the entire draft, which includes Joe Alt.

So, I feel that we did it right, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, derp said:

I don’t think they actually had an opportunity to move up. If we pretend they did they could've moved up a bit for Odunze and then a little for Suamataia last night. Today would be less fun and probably would be down a pick next year but think we’d all have been pretty pumped about that outcome.

A moot point we are all mulling. For some insane reason Atlanta after signing Cousins to 100M for 4 years wanted QB Penix and were hell bent on getting him. Only chance they were trading down out of that pick would have been for a haul even down to 10, though Penix would have been there at 10.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

A moot point we are all mulling. For some insane reason Atlanta after signing Cousins to 100M for 4 years wanted QB Penix and were hell bent on getting him. Only chance they were trading down out of that pick would have been for a haul even down to 10, though Penix would have been there at 10.

Yeah that’s why I opened with don’t think they had the opportunity.

I will say if Odunze isn’t there a real chance the Bears drop and who knows who moves up. We know the Raiders liked Penix.

2 hours ago, Barton said:

This team still badly needs an impact outside WR opposite Garrett Wilson. Mike Williams is nothing more than a question mark.

Joe D needs to look at the veteran trade market ASAP. 

I’d take OBJ as a solid fill in

16 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Yup. Odunze was not an option for us.

It's not like the 2020 draft where we actually had options at our pick. I pounded the table for CeeDee Lamb. But the OL guys said we got Becton AND Mims. Sounded great then. Not so hot now.

The comparison this draft is for those that wanted Bowers (not me by the way). But it's Bowers/Amegadjie vs. Fashanu/Corley. That's what we will debate 3 years from now. I'm on the Fashanu/Corley side.

I personally would have drafted Roman Wilson at 72. Can't believe he lasted as long as he did. Best WR are the ones that are open. And that man can separate.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yup. Odunze was not an option for us.

It's not like the 2020 draft where we actually had options at our pick. I pounded the table for CeeDee Lamb. But the OL guys said we got Becton AND Mims. Sounded great then. Not so hot now.

The comparison this draft is for those that wanted Bowers (not me by the way). But it's Bowers/Amegadjie vs. Fashanu/Corley. That's what we will debate 3 years from now. I'm on the Fashanu/Corley side.

I personally would have drafted Roman Wilson at 72. Can't believe he lasted as long as he did. Best WR are the ones that are open. And that man can separate.

Agree 100%

I just walked in the door when I saw we traded up. I had checked the draft tracker earlier and saw Corley and Wilson were still available. I had a slight preference for Corley but would have been just as happy with Wilson. 

My words were "Please, Corley or Wilson here." Very happy

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Outside of Rome @10 and an OT in the 3rd (kid from Yale), this was my next dream draft

So  we got Big program OL stud in Olu + small program offensive weapon in MC vs. Big program offensive weapon + small program OL 

Curious to follow the careers of all involved 

• Upvote 1

I thought I saw a study a while back about the relative draft placement of oline versus dline players.  The study implied that oline players should be drafted in the first or second rounds and dline down in the fourth round..  obviously there’s no hard a fast rule but the jets needed a guy who can play left tackle, be mostly ready from day one, and then start next season.  I don’t think they would’ve found such a player in the third or fourth rounds.  As for the wr, the jets do have quite a few targets for Rodgers.  Sure there’s an injury risk for Williams but between gWilson, Williams, Lazard, breece, Conklin, Rucker, with cameos by the rest there are enough pass catchers.

They wanted Nabers. But Giants weren’t moving. 
Tenn and Atl weren’t moving. Called Bears, they weren’t moving either. Tried but everyone wanted to make their pick. 
Atl wanted to move back into the first to 10 but they didn’t have enough. 
Rams tried to come up as well but JD didn’t want that far down to 19. 

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Atlanta owner should really ask around, who was drafting penix in first, definitely top half. Otherwise Atl gm could have easily acquired more picks and still had their pick. Much like Will McDonald last yr.

• Upvote 1