Yankees don't regret spending spree

NIGHT STALKER

The Yankees have no regrets about their December spending spree, a source said, despite criticism from other clubs. But their winter pickups may be done, perhaps leaving no room for Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are comfortable with their outlay of $423.5 million on Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the source said, for several reasons. They believe they got the best players on the market and ones that filled true needs. They had massive payroll coming off the books in the form of Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina, Pettitte and Carl Pavano; and even after the three big additions, their 2009 payroll should be slightly below that of 2008. And finally, the Yankees pay a luxury tax that goes to other teams, and are well within baseball rules to spend as they choose.

New York Newsday

Yanks can't win except with their fans. To be fair, if I were a fan of another team, I would be upset as well. The problem is, since I'm a Yankees fan, I don't know if I would be pissed at the Yanks or for my team not having the funds to do it...oh well, Joe DiMaggio once said Thank God For Making Me a Yankee. Thank God For Making Me A Yankees Fan...I say.

Hey, that's a great idea for a t-shirt...:)

Yanks can't win except with their fans. To be fair, if I were a fan of another team, I would be upset as well. The problem is, since I'm a Yankees fan, I don't know if I would be pissed at the Yanks or for my team not having the funds to do it...oh well, Joe DiMaggio once said Thank God For Making Me a Yankee. Thank God For Making Me A Yankees Fan...I say.

Hey, that's a great idea for a t-shirt...:)

God didn't make you a Yankee fan, that became of your own free will.

As such, one could say you chose the easiest pass to "earning success".

I think there are some that call that a bandwagon fan ;)

The Yankees have no regrets about their December spending spree, a source said, despite criticism from other clubs. But their winter pickups may be done, perhaps leaving no room for Andy Pettitte. The Yankees are comfortable with their outlay of $423.5 million on Mark Teixeira, CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the source said, for several reasons. They believe they got the best players on the market and ones that filled true needs. They had massive payroll coming off the books in the form of Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Mike Mussina, Pettitte and Carl Pavano; and even after the three big additions, their 2009 payroll should be slightly below that of 2008. And finally, the Yankees pay a luxury tax that goes to other teams, and are well within baseball rules to spend as they choose.

New York Newsday

TRUE, they are playing within the rules.....

BECAUSE THE Players Cartel, I mean union, won't allow them to change the rules.

The Yankees are doing absolutely nothing wrong, and we can't blame them for doing so if they have the resources. However, for the health of BASEBALL, something needs to be done.

Nothing wrong with what the Yanks are doing.

The last 8 years, however, have shown that it hasn't mattered how much the Yanks have spent on players, because it hasn't amounted to a World Series title. Just as the Tigers discovered last year, you can buy a large amount of talent and put together (on paper) a brilliant lineup, but if they don't play well together, then all of that goes to the wayside.

New York Newsday

Why would they regret plucking the big 3 FA's that were out there?

Anyway per River Ave blog it appears they are already over last years payroll by about 3.5 mill with some more salaries to be raised or added. A outfielder trade could change that. http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/12/25/back-in-black-accounting-for-the-2009-yankees/

While the big name signings make good stories, they alone don't make the Yanks a sure shot better team than last years group.

Tex replaces and somewhat increases the production they got from Abreu while adding defense at 1B. Giambi for all his BA issues last year still hit 32 HR's and drove in 96. Not sure Nady or Swisher are up to that task.

CC will look to match the 20 W's lost when Moose left. Sure CC is the better pitcher but matching Moose's year is not a given.

A.J. hopefully in a good year matches Andy's usual season.

The key to the Yanks being better than last season will not be the 3 FA signings but rather if they receive bounce back years from Matsui and Posada and get some production out of CF. A healthy Joba, Wang along with a few wins from Hughes will also help big time.

Why would they regret plucking the big 3 FA's that were out there?

Anyway per River Ave blog it appears they are already over last years payroll by about 3.5 mill with some more salaries to be raised or added. A outfielder trade could change that. http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/12/25/back-in-black-accounting-for-the-2009-yankees/

While the big name signings make good stories, they alone don't make the Yanks a sure shot better team than last years group.

Tex replaces and somewhat increases the production they got from Abreu while adding defense at 1B. Giambi for all his BA issues last year still hit 32 HR's and drove in 96. Not sure Nady or Swisher are up to that task.

CC will look to match the 20 W's lost when Moose left. Sure CC is the better pitcher but matching Moose's year is not a given.

A.J. hopefully in a good year matches Andy's usual season.

The key to the Yanks being better than last season will not be the 3 FA signings but rather if they receive bounce back years from Matsui and Posada and get some production out of CF. A healthy Joba, Wang along with a few wins from Hughes will also help big time.

Great assessment.

A lot of the media are getting lost saying CC and AJ will replace that collection of crap you had at the end of the rotation. No. You are replacing the top of the rotation that won 34 games.

Great assessment.

A lot of the media are getting lost saying CC and AJ will replace that collection of crap you had at the end of the rotation. No. You are replacing the top of the rotation that won 34 games.

You forget that Wang was hurt most of the year...a guy who I think won more games in the past two years than anyone and Joba was hurt as well.

Yanks had a patch work staff last year to say the least. CC and AJ will be a huge plus.

Archived