THE PROG ROCK THREAD

Borgoguy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I can handle about 50% of Vai's stuff. When he goes into serious wank mode I lose interest.

LOL - I hear you Doug. That can be too much koo koo after a bit. But if Billy Sheehan is playing with him that is a show in itself.

All I have to say to you guys is:

IntheCourtoftheCrimsonKing.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Uriah Heep

Midnight

(I'm in the process of rebuilding much of my lost record collection from this era. Although High & Mighty (1976) is not their best effort, I always liked this tune and John Wetton's work on the album. Hope you all find it at least interesting.)

2YgRG6ZnYjg

A Fish fan that likes music is almost tolerable.

:)

I became of aware of Coheed and Cambria by the band Three

Here's the direct link to the vid

Thanks for getting that link up, man.

Have you happened to see or hear the Neverender? Every Coheed song performed live in a four night concert. It's now one of my most prized possessions.

Thanks for getting that link up, man.

Have you happened to see or hear the Neverender? Every Coheed song performed live in a four night concert. It's now one of my most prized possessions.

I have every Coheed and Cambria record, except this latest one, Neverender.

How is the DVD of the concerts? It's in a store near me, just haven't shelled out the $$ until I hear some fan reviews

Genesis

Dancing With the Moon Lit Knight

Good old Genesis.

It's like they've been many bands over the years.

1) The real early stuff with Anthony Phillps, which escapes me a little

2) Selling England by the pound, maybe their greatest record?

then Peter Gabriel left and the Phil Collins era started taking over

3) Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, really great records

then Steve Hackett left

4) And then there were Three, still - some great stuff on that record.

5) I think Duke was next. Some good stuff and also hints of direction to come with hits like Turn it on again

What was next, Abacab? then Invisible touch or something?

Here's where the Phil Collins era really took over in my opinion. He bacame the front man and I think the band started getting way more pop.....and started making some serious $$$ too.

I prefer Genesis when Steve Hackett was in the band.

Good old Genesis.

It's like they've been many bands over the years.

1) The real early stuff with Anthony Phillps, which escapes me a little

2) Selling England by the pound, maybe their greatest record?

then Peter Gabriel left and the Phil Collins era started taking over

3) Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering, really great records

then Steve Hackett left

4) And then there were Three, still - some great stuff on that record.

5) I think Duke was next. Some good stuff and also hints of direction to come with hits like Turn it on again

What was next, Abacab? then Invisible touch or something?

Here's where the Phil Collins era really took over in my opinion. He bacame the front man and I think the band started getting way more pop.....and started making some serious $$$ too.

I prefer Genesis when Steve Hackett was in the band.

Great post, Doug. Trick of the Tail has great sentimental value to me. It was my wife's favorite album when we met in 1982 and she'd always play it during...well, you get the idea. I still get engorged if I hear Dancing on a Volcano or Ripples. :) My favorite genesis record is probably The Lamb..., followed by Selling England..., although I have a fond place for Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. They lost me after ABACAB.

Great post, Doug. Trick of the Tail has great sentimental value to me. It was my wife's favorite album when we met in 1982 and she'd always play it during...well, you get the idea. I still get engorged if I hear Dancing on a Volcano or Ripples. :) My favorite genesis record is probably The Lamb..., followed by Selling England..., although I have a fond place for Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. They lost me after ABACAB.

Oh, forgot about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I've tried to get into this a few times over the years, maybe it's time to try again.

thanks,

d

I just found this live version of a Genesis classic. It's a wonderful, energetic performance. Guitar work is amazing, as is Peter Gabriel (what else?). Section beginning at approx. 8:00 is--possibly--my most favorite Genesis movement, maybe because of all the emotion Gabriel flings out. He's just a stunning showman and musician. What could they have done if he hadn't left? Not much film from this era has such great sound.

Genesis

The Musical Box (Live)

W35wtfcByIY

I have every Coheed and Cambria record, except this latest one, Neverender.

How is the DVD of the concerts? It's in a store near me, just haven't shelled out the $$ until I hear some fan reviews

If you own every Coheed album, I have to ask, what the hell are you waiting for? Lol.

It's amazing, dude, simply amazing. I haven't listened to anything else since I bought it. Every Coheed song performed live. Heaven.

If you own every Coheed album, I have to ask, what the hell are you waiting for? Lol.

It's amazing, dude, simply amazing. I haven't listened to anything else since I bought it. Every Coheed song performed live. Heaven.

You've talked me into getting this.

Cheers,

d

I just found this live version of a Genesis classic. It's a wonderful, energetic performance. Guitar work is amazing, as is Peter Gabriel (what else?). Section beginning at approx. 8:00 is--possibly--my most favorite Genesis movement, maybe because of all the emotion Gabriel flings out. He's just a stunning showman and musician. What could they have done if he hadn't left? Not much film from this era has such great sound.

Genesis

The Musical Box (Live)

Borgo,

What an amazing group of talent, thanks.

Funny to see Tony Banks playing guitar and even finger picking???

Nice to see Phil behind a drumkit.

Hey Phil.......stay there.

You've talked me into getting this.

Cheers,

d

Let me convince you a little more. ;)

They ****ing rock some of these songs WAY better than they ever do on the album; this being one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMc-Js91Jaghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMc-Js91Jaghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMc-Js91Jag

The instrumental at the end is amazing. Chris Pennie is a machine on the bass pedals.

Borgo,

What an amazing group of talent, thanks.

Funny to see Tony Banks playing guitar and even finger picking???

Nice to see Phil behind a drumkit.

Hey Phil.......stay there.

That song from Nursery Cryme has been a favorite since I bought that album in the Pleistocene Era. I have now watched that final sequence about 15 times. The musical shift--with that dark, ascending organ passage--gets me every time. (Banks is a phenomenal keyboardist.) You watch Gabriel there, and you see what every great performer must possess: The ability to let go of all inhibition, and just let the emotion come from the soles of your feet. What a gift, and talent. No question in my mind that Gabriel will be remembered as the most underrated artist in rock history.

One more, "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (sound isn't as good):

NhyO2LmeJTE

Archived