THE PROG ROCK THREAD

Borgoguy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is one of my top 3 favorite prog albums of all-time.

I will admit that when that album first came out I didn't get it. I was too young to fully grasp what these brilliant composers and musicians were doing. That album is so ahead of its time. I saw Yes three times in the 70s, and they would always leave you scratching your head with their awesome ability to play these complex songs so well live. Although it's not everyone's cup of tea, I love "Sound Chaser" from Relayer. Patrick Moraz' keyboard solo at about 7:47 is unbelievable.

HpOWuzd3f_Q

This band has kind of been given a bad rap and categorized into a more pop genre. They clearly have some fantastic prog roots.

Coheed and Cambria ~ 21:13

Gcik1ZMTDv8

All of their albums are concept albums that revolve around this science fiction story that the lead singer developed.

How did I miss this thread??

This is my thing, I’ve limited myself to 6 message boards.

I have sooooo much music in this genre, from so many different countries, it’s difficult for me to start.

First, some comments on what’s been posted so far.

Excellent choices.

Somebody mentioned Dream Theater. What a talented group of guys. The musicians hail from Berklee and Julliard. The singer can be a challenge for me to listen to at times though.

A Passion Play by Tull. What an amazing record.

Here’s a web site that is more or less my bible. It lists and explains all the sub genres of Prog

http://www.progarchives.com/

One of my fav bands is from Italy. There is so much excellent Italian prog. These guys shortened their name to PFM. This disc is called Per Un Amico. Very highly recommended.

41KVJFYBPHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks for this one, Doug. They have elements of early ELP that resonate through the tune.

ssAVUudm5Jk

This band has kind of been given a bad rap and categorized into a more pop genre. They clearly have some fantastic prog roots.

Coheed and Cambria ~ 21:13

Gcik1ZMTDv8

All of their albums are concept albums that revolve around this science fiction story that the lead singer developed.

Good choice.

I also like Three from Kingston NY.

Have you heard of them?

Good choice.

I also like Three from Kingston NY.

Have you heard of them?

Yea I think one of C&C's siblings is in 3. I'm pretty sure they've toured together.

BTW, did they channel David Gilmour for this song or what.

Coheed & Cambria ~ The Final Cut (Notice the title of the song)

KGl4RiXD8h4

Brain dead Doug here who can't figure out how to post the Youtube stuff.

Tried a few things and no luck.

Anyway

Here's a link to a great vid of PFM performing River Of Life.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvgpOF-SZw

There's a youtube button above the text box.

Step 1: Click that. It'll put this in the text box "[youtube][/youtube]"

Step 2: Using your link for example, copy and paste the part after the = sign. This is the video's specific ID. So in your case it would be "3qvgpOF-SZw".

That's all.

3qvgpOF-SZw

How about some, arguably, "unique" prog rockers? Ron and Russell Mael made up Sparks, and the German artist, Klaus Nomi, was in Bowie's band for a brief time. We'd play this stuff in college, and folks thought we were insane.

Sparks

When Do I get to Sing My Way?

Pvatys8vP3s

This Town Ain't Big Enough

Ax8JYmoRhy4

Klaus Nomi

Lightening Strikes

gma5IUNMTn0

The Nomi Song

uKYpepxGkyY&feature=related

Jethro Tull has been mentioned. I just wanted to add that Thick as a Brick is one of the finest examples of a concept album ever. What a genius and visionary Ian Anderson was/is. Many of these tunes take me right back to that era, and listening to these great records with my friends. What an awesome time the 60s and 70s were.

Jethro Tull

Thick as a Brick (Live)

toHlMD50eYY

The Hackett vid I attempted to post yesterday.

Thanks Jetlag, thanks Borgo..

He screws around with an ebow (or something) for a bit before the song starts.

XUdXDxY-cBA

Thanks for posting this tune, Doug. I know Hackett, but not that song. It's great. My only bone to pick is with the video's director. Why are so many idiots who don't understand music or stage dynamics put in charge of directing these pieces? Hackett's guitar into is astounding, but we never get to see his fingers close up because the director has chosen to take the shot from what looks to be a mile and a half away. What a fu**king moron. Most of us can only dream of playing those notes in that unique way. Wouldn't it have been nice to see how he managed it?

Nice to have you as a member of the "vidiots", Doug. Great job.

Yeah.

Sometimes music vid directors have no clue as to what the fans want to see.

Not sure if you noticed, but the band here is quite a lineup.

Hackett - we all know where he came from.

John Wetton (Bass) UK, King Crimson, Mogul Thrash

Ian MacDonald (flute, Sax, keys, guitar)- King Crimson, MacDonald and Giles

Chester Thompson (drums)- Zappa, Genesis

Not sure who the other keyboard guy is.

My only bone to pick is with the video's director. Why are so many idiots who don't understand music or stage dynamics put in charge of directing these pieces? Hackett's guitar into is astounding, but we never get to see his fingers close up because the director has chosen to take the shot from what looks to be a mile and a half away. What a fu**king moron. Most of us can only dream of playing those notes in that unique way. Wouldn't it have been nice to see how he managed it?

Nice to have you as a member of the "vidiots", Doug. Great job.

Archived