WSJ: Citi Explores Breaking Mets Deal

Morrissey

I asked my Advertising Professor about this last night. She's knows her stuff, own her own firm down here in Tampa. She actually works with Tiki Barber and Warrick Dunn. Anyways, she said ALOT of companies are thinking twice about naming rights now. The St. Petersburg Bowl game down here couldn't even sell naming rights. And it was host to home town team USF.

I'm like a retard when it comes to banking stuff. Sounds simple enough.

In short. The economy runs on credit.

People rely on that credit to live. Others invest in the repayment of that very credit.

When the people stop being able to repay that credit, the system falls apart.

Now, we've got a lot of bad credit, so the banks aren't getting paid back, so they have no money to make new loans, hence, the system stops.

At least that's my understanding of it. I'm sure people understand this far better than I.

In short. The economy runs on credit.

People rely on that credit to live. Others invest in the repayment of that very credit.

When the people stop being able to repay that credit, the system falls apart.

Now, we've got a lot of bad credit, so the banks aren't getting paid back, so they have no money to make new loans, hence, the system stops.

At least that's my understanding of it. I'm sure people understand this far better than I.

Yeah, its been explained a ton of times to me. I kinda get the jist, but I have no interest in any of that crap.

Yeah, its been explained a ton of times to me. I kinda get the jist, but I have no interest in any of that crap.

In college I didn't either.

Wait until you have some money. Then it becomes very interesting.

I've gotten an education because I wanted to know why I lost 30% of my savings. Ugh.

In college I didn't either.

Wait until you have some money. Then it becomes very interesting.

I've gotten an education because I wanted to know why I lost 30% of my savings. Ugh.

I know, I just hope I don't learn the hard way. Its rediculous that they make us take classes like English 101 and CHEM when we could learn stuff that we actually need to know. As sad as it sounds, I couldn't balance a checkbook(I probably could, but if handed it right now I'd laugh(hence the reason the ATM steals my card)). And I know what mortgages are and what they do, but I wouldn't know how to handle one.

All I'm saying is that its probably more important for me to know about that stuff, then why 19th century art critics hated Manet's work. Which for some odd reason I actually know.

I know, I just hope I don't learn the hard way. Its rediculous that they make us take classes like English 101 and CHEM when we could learn stuff that we actually need to know. As sad as it sounds, I couldn't balance a checkbook(I probably could, but if handed it right now I'd laugh(hence the reason the ATM steals my card)). And I know what mortgages are and what they do, but I wouldn't know how to handle one.

All I'm saying is that its probably more important for me to know about that stuff, then why 19th century art critics hated Manet's work. Which for some odd reason I actually know.

I agree, and have said as much for years.

I left college with absolutely 0 education of how to survive in the world. I've always said there should be a 'life skills' class, where they teach you about W2s, 10-99s, mortgages, taxes, insurance, health care, basically all that you need to be an "adult".

Jeff Wilpon was right.

Wilpon, the Mets' chief operating officer, said Tuesday that Citigroup, the naming-rights sponsor of Citi Field, was not the only company to receive federal bailout funds while also spending money on sports stadium naming-rights deals or major stadium sponsorships.

According to Treasury Department filings on the agency's Web site, 21 U.S. companies that have received bailout money have deals to see their corporate names in lights atop stadiums and arenas around the United States and Canada.

The 21 companies - 20 banks and financial institutions and one automaker, General Motors - have received more than $188 billion in TARP (Troubled Asset Relief Program) money since checks started going out in October, according to Treasury Department documents reviewed by Newsday.

For More - http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sptarp066025793feb06,0,1919079.story

I agree, and have said as much for years.

I left college with absolutely 0 education of how to survive in the world. I've always said there should be a 'life skills' class, where they teach you about W2s, 10-99s, mortgages, taxes, insurance, health care, basically all that you need to be an "adult".

Are you trying to put CPA's and Human Resources professionals out of work?

Are you trying to put CPA's and Human Resources professionals out of work?

I have still yet to figure out what a 'Human Resource Professional' actually does.

And I'm still leaning towards 'absolutely nothing'.

I'm actually just saying it would have been nice to know coming out of college what to expect as far as these things go.

Archived