LA Times: Manny turns down Dodgers offer

Morrissey

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-manny-ramirez3-2009feb03,0,3789499.story

Manny Ramirez turns down Dodgers offer

44840334.jpg

Free-agent outfielder rejects a one-year, $25-million proposal his agent categorizes as a suggestion.

By Dylan Hernandez

February 3, 2009

Manny Ramirez wasted no time rejecting the Dodgers' latest offer, a one-year, $25-million proposal that was presented Sunday to his agent, Scott Boras.

In a conversation with Times columnist T.J. Simers late Monday night, Boras said he informed Ramirez about what he classified a suggestion by the Dodgers and that the All-Star outfielder turned it down. Boras said that he informed the Dodgers of Ramirez's decision.

The contract offered by the Dodgers was shorter than the one they offered him in November -- a two-year, $45-million deal that was later withdrawn.

General Manager Ned Colletti declined to comment on the financial details of the latest proposal but confirmed that an offer was extended to Ramirez, who hasn't received any known proposals from another team.

Boras told Simers that Ramirez is drawing interest from other teams.

Colletti and team counsel Sam Fernandez had met with Boras and his associate, Mike Fiore, Sunday night.

The contract the Dodgers offered to Ramirez in November was guaranteed for two years and included an option for a third that could have increased its total value to $60 million. The Dodgers proposed paying Ramirez $15 million this year and $22.5 million in 2010. The deal included a $22.5-million option for 2011 that the Dodgers could have bought out for $7.5 million.

Days later, Boras said he expected to field "serious offers" once the Dodgers' exclusive negotiating window with Ramirez expired. The offer later expired.

Ramirez declined the Dodgers' offer for arbitration in December, something that probably would have landed him a one-year deal similar to the one on the table, and Boras was known to be asking for a four-year deal that included an option for a fifth year.

Despite proclamations from Boras last week that he started negotiating with other clubs and that he expected Ramirez to be signed by the start of spring training, the Dodgers seem to believe that the player has nowhere else to go.

The New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Washington Nationals are among the teams known to be monitoring Ramirez's situation but don't appear inclined to pay him more than $20 million a season. The Angels failed to re-sign All-Star first baseman Mark Teixeira, another Boras client, but have said they won't bid for Ramirez.

By taking the offer, Ramirez would have become the second-highest-paid player in baseball behind Alex Rodriguez and could have reentered the free-agent pool in a year. The Dodgers liked the idea of having Ramirez in a contract year, figuring the temperamental star would play as hard as he did in his two months with them last season, when he hit .396 with 17 home runs and 53 runs batted in.

The Dodgers could find themselves in a bind if Ramirez receives a multi-year offer from another club. If Ramirez is offered what he considers a fair deal, sources close to him say that he wouldn't grant the Dodgers a chance to match it, forcing the Dodgers to go into spring training without their only star attraction and reliable run producer.

Failure to re-sign Ramirez could result in the pursuit of Bobby Abreu or Adam Dunn, who remain available.

Asked whether the Dodgers would turn to other options if Ramirez rejected their latest proposal, Colletti replied, "We'll see."

The Manny situation is getting strange. Could this be the biggest mistake Boras has made to date with a player? It'll be interesting to see how much Manny gets when everyone knows Boras told him he'd be able to get him multiple years at 25 mil per season.

Not that I think they'd have the coin to do it, but if the D-Rays made a play for Manny at this point....with all the head-to-head match ups with the Yankees and Sox....man that would be a scary line-up.

It was nice to hear that the Yankees, by rule, can't sign Manny because in the back of my mind I was thinking they were going to make a play for him.

The Manny situation is getting strange. Could this be the biggest mistake Boras has made to date with a player? It'll be interesting to see how much Manny gets when everyone knows Boras told him he'd be able to get him multiple years at 25 mil per season.

Not that I think they'd have the coin to do it, but if the D-Rays made a play for Manny at this point....with all the head-to-head match ups with the Yankees and Sox....man that would be a scary line-up.

It was nice to hear that the Yankees, by rule, can't sign Manny because in the back of my mind I was thinking they were going to make a play for him.

The DRays simply are not built that way. They are built from within and role players plus the occassional right trade when presented to them.....Kazmir-Garza.

Pitching, pitching and defense.

Burrell at his years and contract which are both within reason is about as far as they seem to go on aging players. The big contract they gave 1B Pena was offf of a career year that had been predicted for ages and he is still young.

The DRays simply are not built that way. They are built from within and role players plus the occassional right trade when presented to them.....Kazmir-Garza.

Pitching, pitching and defense.

Burrell at his years and contract which are both within reason is about as far as they seem to go on aging players. The big contract they gave 1B Pena was offf of a career year that had been predicted for ages and he is still young.

Agreed 100% and I wasn't implying at all that I thought it was something that might happen. I was just thinking about how Manny hates the Sox and probably feels that the Yankees are costing him money by not driving up his price in a bidding war which is probably what he counted on. The D-Rays would give him a chance to play against both those teams on a regular basis and it's not like Manny has six or seven offers to choose from right now.

Not that I want the Yankees to sign Manny (even a little), or that there is a possibility that they could, but this is simply not true.

The reports from last week stating that the Yankees can not sign any more Type A free agents was completely inaccurate.

Not that I want the Yankees to sign Manny (even a little), or that there is a possibility that they could, but this is simply not true.

The reports from last week stating that the Yankees can not sign any more Type A free agents was completely inaccurate.

Whats up man, when did you make the switch?

They are allowed to sign Manny if they wanted to. The initial report was wrong. They increased the number of maximum type A and B FAs that a team can sign to 8 total.

Not to nitpick, but "Increased the number" is wrong. It was always that high.

The limits only occur when there were less then X amount of Type A and B Free Agents available, which there were not this year, and I can't remember the last year where that was the case.

Still, Manny can do better then this offer I'm sure, the Dodgers need Manny and it shouldn't be too hard to get that 2 year offer back on the table, if not more.

I hope the Yankees sign him. Just because if they do it will be even more ridiculous when they don't win the WS.

The Yankees had there worst year in 13 years in 2008, yet they still won 20+ more games than the Pirates. How does as a team as bas as the Pirates have been the for so many years, still have one of the worst minor leagues in baseball? Pirates have go to be the worst franchise in sports, top 5 at least. Hopefully Pedro Alverez pans out.

Hope Manny enjoys watching the 2009 season from his couch because thanks in small part to his greed and thanks in large to his agent, he's not going to get any other deal large than the one and two year deals he got from the Dodgers.

Wouldn't that be just great Mav ? Gotta love it. F' Manny AND Borass .

The Yankees had there worst year in 13 years in 2008, yet they still won 20+ more games than the Pirates. How does as a team as bas as the Pirates have been the for so many years, still have one of the worst minor leagues in baseball? Pirates have go to be the worst franchise in sports, top 5 at least. Hopefully Pedro Alverez pans out.

And this is related to the Yankees not winning the WS (post you quoted) how ?

They are allowed to sign Manny if they wanted to. The initial report was wrong. They increased the number of maximum type A and B FAs that a team can sign to 8 total.

Really? I didn't know that and wow...that's a hell of an increase. Alost tripling the limit all in one shot. Even as a Yankee fan I think that's riddiculous. What team has the need and money to go out and sign 8 type A free agents? The Yankees just spent over 400 mil on three. So now any team is free to spend roughly a billion dollars in one off season? What the hell is the point of a "limit" if it's going to be something as unrealistic as 8?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Littlefield

Poor drafting, poor development, poor management, and ownership committed to black ink...

I think they've gotten on the right track since they cleaned house though.

Archived