Manuel wants to bat reyes 3rd....

neckdemon

to accomodate castillo in the lead-off position to help him out. what a mistake i think that is.....it's a horrible idea. reyes is one of the best lead-off hitters in the game. that castillo signing is just getting worse and worse......now the freakin' team wants to move one ofthe best lead-off hitters in the league to 3rd to try and help this bum hit better? motherfu*ker.....that sucks.

here's the link....

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02152009/sports/mets/manager_wants_reyes_to_hit_third_155168.htm

Manuel said yesterday that he hopes to experiment with using the embattled Luis Castillo in the Mets' leadoff spot in place of Reyes this spring and perhaps all season.

Relax if it's a disaster he will back off of the plan. I agree you don't mess with Reyes but I think some thought has gone into this.

Castillo's last healthy season, 2007, he hit .304 in games he was penciled in the lead-off spot AND in all instances where he led off a inning he hit .359 with a .399 OBP. Those numbers are fairly consistent with his career numbers in that situation.

We tried to trade this horrible signing and have been unsuccessfull so I won't kill Manuel for trying to get Castillo going again. Maybe if Wilpon didn't lose so much to the ponzie scheme he releases Castillo and signs Orlando Hudson. Unfortunately that's not the case.

He is or at least was a much better player than the injured version we have seen.

If healthy he will give us a very nice year.

Manuel said yesterday that he hopes to experiment with using the embattled Luis Castillo in the Mets' leadoff spot in place of Reyes this spring and perhaps all season.

Relax if it's a disaster he will back off of the plan. I agree you don't mess with Reyes but I think some thought has gone into this.

Castillo's last healthy season, 2007, he hit .304 in games he was penciled in the lead-off spot AND in all instances where he led off a inning he hit .359 with a .399 OBP. Those numbers are fairly consistent with his career numbers in that situation.

We tried to trade this horrible signing and have been unsuccessfull so I won't kill Manuel for trying to get Castillo going again. Maybe if Wilpon didn't lose so much to the ponzie scheme he releases Castillo and signs Orlando Hudson. Unfortunately that's not the case.

He is or at least was a much better player than the injured version we have seen.

If healthy he will give us a very nice year.

Orlando Hudson would have been a great pickup for the Mets.

Orlando Hudson would have been a great pickup for the Mets.
That Castillo was signed long-term and is still here is a joke. Hudison would've made a world of sense. Over the course of a season giving Castillo more ABs over Reyes is imbecilic. Castillo should bat 8th if at all. So now we learn Manuel is not a sabermatrician in addition to being a bad manager. Suspect when this fails they will again blame Willie Randolph.

That Castillo was signed long-term and is still here is a joke. Hudison would've made a world of sense. Over the course of a season giving Castillo more ABs over Reyes is imbecilic. Castillo should bat 8th if at all. So now we learn Manuel is not a sabermatrician in addition to being a bad manager. Suspect when this fails they will again blame Willie Randolph.

Not sure how you have come to the conclusion he is a bad Manager.

I was impressed at what he did with a horrific bullpen last year. If he fails to make the play-offs this year with a healthy pen then you have a case.

Willie lost his players. End of story.

I have no problem with them trying Castillo in the lead off spot. It might, from what the figures show, jump start his bat. With the lack of quality SP after the top 2 I'd like to see better run production. Or Manny in the lineup. :biggrin:

I have no problem with them trying Castillo in the lead off spot. It might, from what the figures show, jump start his bat. With the lack of quality SP after the top 2 I'd like to see better run production. Or Manny in the lineup. :biggrin:

I think Maine will be fine don't you? I actually think all 5 spots "could" win double digits.

Reyes is a great hitter, I don't really see why he wouldn't perform hitting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I think people often make too much into typecasting a player in a certain role.

Castillo, I think a lot of this is assuming that he bounces back close to his .300/.370 career numbers, in which case he would be a decent lead-off hitter. If he's still hitting .250/.350 though like last year obviously you can't justify hitting him lead-off.

I think Maine will be fine don't you? I actually think all 5 spots "could" win double digits.

I have some mixed feelings about Maine. I guess I'm not seeing the consistancy I really crave from him. I did like the fact that he improved last year and I hope and pray it continues. He's done very well considering he was a throw in.

Reyes is a great hitter, I don't really see why he wouldn't perform hitting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I think people often make too much into typecasting a player in a certain role.

Castillo, I think a lot of this is assuming that he bounces back close to his .300/.370 career numbers, in which case he would be a decent lead-off hitter. If he's still hitting .250/.350 though like last year obviously you can't justify hitting him lead-off.

Couldn't agree more. Let's try him at leadoff. If he's not getting the job done, yank his arse out of there.

Archived