Franchise Tag pay too low?

ZachEY

It's one thing to tag Terrell Suggs and make him a 'franchise player', but when guys like Darren Sproles get tagged, is there something wrong with this system?

Obviously the intent is for you to be able to keep great players from hitting the market, but the fact that a guy like Sproles can be tagged points, to me at least, that it's too easy use it.

Thoughts?

It makes perfect sense for San Diego to tag Sproles, EY.

Tomlinson possibly hit a wall last season, they don't know for sure, and that is exactly why they want to tag Sproles. He is the heir apparent to Tomlinson since they let Michael Turner go off to Atlanta.

Sproles will earn $6.6 million in 2009, thats one hell of a pay increase.

The tags are based on the average salary per season of the Top 5 backs, or the players at that position, in the NFL.

Not to mention not even half the league uses the tags.

It makes perfect sense for San Diego to tag Sproles, EY.

Tomlinson possibly hit a wall last season, they don't know for sure, and that is exactly why they want to tag Sproles. He is the heir apparent to Tomlinson since they let Michael Turner go off to Atlanta.

Sproles will earn $6.6 million in 2009, thats one hell of a pay increase.

The tags are based on the average salary per season of the Top 5 backs, or the players at that position, in the NFL.

Not to mention not even half the league uses the tags.

I look at Sproles as a 3rd down back, nothing more. If he's going to be an every down back after Tomlinson, then the point is moot. But I just don't see it.

I look at Sproles as a 3rd down back, nothing more. If he's going to be an every down back after Tomlinson, then the point is moot. But I just don't see it.

I look at him in the same light but San Diego for some reason doesn't, they believe he can carry the rock 20-25 times a game like he did in the postseason over a 16+ game season. I'd have to see it to believe it myself.

I think teams use the system to make sure they simply dont lose guys. I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I think this year it may be used a bit more because there is a chance that those players, who would be UFA this season will only be restricted free agents if there is no new CBA next season. Basically one year of a high salary gives them contractual power over the player another season.

I don't mind Sproles getting tagged, the Chargers decided that he was worth Top 5 Runningback money, while I certaintly don't agree with their opinion, if they have the cap situation to be able to afford that then more power to them.

I think the one thing I'd have an issue with is the players who are getting tagged multiple times like Terrell Suggs and Karlos Dansby. Yeah, they get a 20% raise the second time around, but I don't think it's fair to continue to not allow these players to hit the open market in hopes of the long-term deal. I think there should be a 1 Tag limit.

I think the one thing I'd have an issue with is the players who are getting tagged multiple times like Terrell Suggs and Karlos Dansby. Yeah, they get a 20% raise the second time around, but I don't think it's fair to continue to not allow these players to hit the open market in hopes of the long-term deal. I think there should be a 1 Tag limit.

At least they can buy insurance. A guy who gets tagged after playing out a mid-late round rookie deal can't afford the premiums.

Archived