Go Benji State Go

afosomf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you will love jack parker..rather than deal with me if benji wins

Umm... nope. Again, we know what you are. So your sh!t talking has no impact on us.

I hope and pray that whoever plays BU in the finals beats the crap out of them. I would rather Niagara win it all and listen to you over BU ever winning again.

Umm... nope. Again, we know what you are. So your sh!t talking has no impact on us.

I hope and pray that whoever plays BU in the finals beats the crap out of them. I would rather Niagara win it all and listen to you over BU ever winning again.

Fear the Beav!!!

I don't think he understands how much non-BU fans hate that hockey team.

Jack Parker is the anti-christ.

How could he? His league is like 5 years old and will no longer exist pretty soon.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/george_masons_pep_band_adopts.html

So assume for a second that you represent a school whose hockey team has widely been labeled one of college sports's most plucky Cinderellas in years. Assume that your school is coming to Washington D.C., but that it's pep band is stuck behind. Assume further that your school's primary color is green. Now, can you think of any D.C. area pep bands that might make for a suitable replacement?

"Wanted to give you a heads up that the Green Machine will be playing as Bemidji State's pep band at the Frozen Four this week," George Mason's iconic band leader, Doc Nix, wrote to me this week. Can you say "perfect storyline for every D.C. media outlet trying to figure out how to cover college hockey?"

"There are a lot of connections there, aren't there?" Bemidji AD Rick Goeb told me this afternoon with a laugh.

The wacky truth, though, is that Mason's pep band was chosen neither for the school's underdog connotations nor for its Green Machine name and blingy-greened-out accessories. The Mason kids were chosen because the Red Line Swingers--who usually represent the Beavers--had other commitments and were unable to make the trip, and because the school was scrambling to find a band, and because Caps employee and Bemidji Super Fan Rachel Becker had an in with Mason.

You know that drum line that's always outside (and inside) Caps games? Well, they're The Mean Green, also from Mason. So one thing led to another, and the Beavers' coaches got Rachel involved in the band search, and she got in touch with the Mason folks, and now we have an irresistible story, with Nix already schooling his charges about their fellow underdogs, and the Mason kids doing Bemidji research of their own.

Except you know what's weird? Even though Bemidji Coach Tom Serratore has openly compared his squad to the '06 Patriots, who knocked off top-seeded U-Conn. in that same Verizon Center where the Frozen Four will be played, the Bemidji Athletic Department isn't so sure about the comparison. The Beavers have won more than a dozen national hockey championships, though none in Division I, and they don't see themselves as Larranaga-style mid-major gate-crashers this week.

"Obviously the perception is true in many ways, but when we look at it at Bemidji State, we don't look at it as Cinderella," Goeb, the AD, said. "I guess were looking at it as we're not done, we have a lot of work to do yet. We're not satisfied. We're looking at making some more noise in the hockey championship. I know people look at it as a Cinderella story, and maybe that's what it is, but in our minds we have a lot of pride.

And for us, it's an expectation that our hockey program does well. It's just hard for us to look at [the Cinderella theme] all the time, even though it's true. We're looking forward to the opportunity to have some success--a lot of success."

Was Becker at least thinking of capturing some Mason magic?

"It did occur to me after we lined everything up," she said. "It seemed like a nice coincidence. Hopefully we'll go all the way, though."

So should we run with this Mason thing or not?

"You know, we want to have fun, too," Goeb said. "It's all about having fun and enjoying the experience."

And so I know what you're wondering: Will the Mason band learn the Bemidji fight song? Will they play any Green Machine specialties? Will they bust out Livin on a Prayer, the anthem of the 2006 Final Four run, the song that still makes me think of Lamar Butler hugging his dad and Larranaga high stepping and Folarin Campbell leaping on the press table to salute the Verizon Center crowd?

"Yes, yes, and yes," Doc Nix answered. "We are excited to show our support for their team and fans in the best way we know how."

Oh, and will he dress...you know...how he dresses?

"The Beavers wear green," he noted. "I wonder if I have a green suit laying around somewhere...."

(In other Bemidji news, Mix 103.7 KKBJ will be broadcasting its Sports In the Round show from the downtown ESPN Zone Wednesday from 7-9. Expect lots of Beaver talk. It's called Sports In the Round because they usually tape in the Ground Round back home. And in other Bemidji news, the Beaver Pride Alumni Association is meeting up at Gordon Biersch at 2 on Thursday, three hours before the puck drops. Be there.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4050552&campaign=rss&source=NCAAHeadlines

193.gifbemidji_state.gif

Miami (Ohio) vs. Bemidji State

Verizon Center | Washington, D.C.

Thursday at 5 p.m. ET (ESPN2HD, ESPN360)

How they got here

MIAMI (Ohio): West Regional 4-seed

Miami 4, Denver 2

Miami 2, Minnesota Duluth 1

BEMIDJI STATE: Midwest Regional 4-seed

Bemidji State 5, Notre Dame 1

Bemidji State 4, Cornell 1

Forwards

Is Bemidji State a one-line team? Look at the numbers put up by the trio of Matt Read (39 points), Tyler Scofield (38 points) and Matt Francis (25 points) and it appears that way. Of course, Notre Dame and Cornell knew that, but it didn't do them any good: The trio produced six of the Beavers' nine goals at the Midwest Regional and impressed onlookers with their speed and skill. Contributions from another line would be a plus -- the Ben Kinne-Shea Walters-Ryan Cramer unit was fairly effective in regional play -- but the Scofield-Read-Francis group has to carry the load for BSU to be successful.

Noted wordsmith Yogi Berra once told a reporter that the Yankees team of which he was a member "had deep depth." He could have been talking about Miami's forwards: a balanced, versatile group of capable scorers who are also responsible on their own end. Forward Carter Camper, the team's leading scorer, is an underappreciated talent. He's one of eight RedHawks forwards with more than 20 points and one of six Miami forwards with 10-plus goals. They might not be a glamorous bunch, but the mix of speed, size, smarts, playmaking ability, finishing skills, and grit makes them unique.

Defensemen

Take a glance at the roster, and you could probably guesstimate the size of the typical Bemidji State defenseman: right around 5-foot-11, 190 pounds. It's not a physically intimidating collection on the blue line, but the Beavers' rear guards are fairly adept at creating offense, especially freshman Brad Hunt, who enters the Frozen Four with nine goals (including seven power-play goals) and 32 points. Really, the BSU defensemen are a lot like cornerbacks in football: If you don't notice them, they're doing their job.

Mention the words "Miami defenseman" to a college hockey fan, and the first image to pop into their heads is the smooth-skating, offensively gifted rear guard along the lines of Dan Boyle or Andy Greene. The heir to that legacy is freshman Chris Wideman, who has 26 points this season, all of them assists. By contrast, the team's other eight defensemen have combined for a total of 36 points. The RedHawks are quite young on defense; in the West Regional final win over Minnesota Duluth, four of Miami's six blueliners were freshmen.

Goaltenders

Bemidji State's Matt Dalton was nearly flawless in the Midwest Regional, stopping all but one of the 35 shots he faced in the Beavers' opening-round win against Notre Dame, and turning aside 25 of 26 shots in the regional final against Cornell. He certainly benefits from the team's defensive philosophy of emphasizing pressure on the puck, which forces opponents to shoot from the perimeter more often.

Miami freshmen Cody Reichard and Connor Knapp shared the RedHawks' goaltending duties for the majority of the season, but Reichard started both West Regional contests. The two are nearly identical statistically. Miami's goalies benefit from a sound defensive system and one of the nation's best penalty-killing units, and the RedHawks are traditionally a good shot-blocking team.

Special teams

The outcome of this game might boil down to strength versus strength: the Beavers' potent power play against the RedHawks' stifling penalty kill. Miami's penalty kill isn't fancy, just extremely effective, built around disciplined positioning and smart decisions. Even though it's one of its strengths, Miami would be wise to limit the chances BSU's top line gets with the man advantage. Miami's power play and Bemidji State's penalty kill are good, but not great. The RedHawks' forward depth and versatility give them the advantage here.

Coaches

After a couple of years of being on the cusp, Enrico Blasi finally got Miami into the Frozen Four for the first time in the program's history. The RedHawks' demeanor is a reflection of their coach: quietly confident and efficient with a close attention to detail. Bemidji State's Tom Serratore, meanwhile, has pushed all the right buttons thus far, and his team's confidence is soaring. A straight shooter with a self-effacing wit, his demeanor is perfectly suited for this stage.

Bottom line

Why Bemidji State wins: The Beavers have a blueprint for how to win this game, and it's the same one they successfully implemented against Notre Dame and Cornell. Pressure the puck, don't let the opponent get comfortable on offense, keep the shooters on the perimeter and generally make life easier for Dalton in the process. And though BSU didn't score first against Cornell, the Beavers would certainly benefit from an early goal, which would get the neutral fans into the game on their behalf.

Why Miami wins: Balance up front, and not just because it has three really good lines that are capable of generating offense. Because of their strong two-way play, the RedHawks won't be forced to match lines in an attempt to keep Scofield, Read and Francis in check. Look for them to try to wear down the Beavers' top line by throwing fresh bodies at them. Getting off to a good start will also be important; Bemidji State will come out flying, and everyone in the building not rooting for Miami will become de facto Beavers fans.

this was all about the CHA.....

Niagara will be in a frozen 4 before Umass will..yeah i know that isn't saying

much....

Go BU Kick some Vt butt!!!!

You can root for them, but your team has had just as much success as Lowell, NU or Mass, and you play in a weak conference.

Sorry. No gloating for you.

Archived