Yankee fans overhyped the pen

MagicBizkit87

Jose Veras (He's a walk machine, and is only good in blowouts of the other team, or his team)

Damaso Marte (we thought we were getting two good left handers in the pen, this guy is a joke though, since the day he got here.)

Other than Rivera, and maybe Bruney you can't really trust anyone in a big situation, and Veras, and Marte obviously proved that today.

In my opinion this is basically what needs to be our pen:

Rivera

Bruney

Melancon

Coke

Ramirez

Robertson

Aceves

There is old reliable in Rivera, and solid set-up in Bruney, and up and coming and possibly future closer in Melancon, and nice solid lefty in Coke, who doesn't suck like Marte. Ramirez, who I still say has the sickest Change-up in the game today. Robertson, whose a solid young arm, and Aceves who gives us the long man option.

Then we could send Marte, and Veras elsewhere. I just felt this needed to be posted, and I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way about these two crappy relievers.

I think Joba should be used as the set up man and later on as the closer once Rivera hangs it up...Joba could be one of the best Setup Men/Closers for years to come.

CC

Burnett

Wang

Hughes

???

The Yankee bullpen could be great with Joba and Rivera here in 09...The game would be OVER after 7 innings with a Yankee lead.

The bullpen was the reason why the Rays won the AL East last year but so far in 09 these guys have struggled but you know what? The season just started and Im not going to call for Joe Maddons head because we have blown 2 games

RELAX ALERT!

There's nothing worse than a fan that reacts game by game.

This always happens early in a season, managers give everyone a clean slate in the pen. Everyone gets their shot, and everyone proves their worth. When you inch towards all-star break you tend to see managers trust some guys more than others based on tendencies. If Dave Robertson pitches better than Veras and Coke consistantly....you can bet your behind he'll be the 7th inning guy.

I think Joba should be used as the set up man and later on as the closer once Rivera hangs it up...Joba could be one of the best Setup Men/Closers for years to come.

CC

Burnett

Wang

Hughes

???

The Yankee bullpen could be great with Joba and Rivera here in 09...The game would be OVER after 7 innings with a Yankee lead.

The bullpen was the reason why the Rays won the AL East last year but so far in 09 these guys have struggled but you know what? The season just started and Im not going to call for Joe Maddons head because we have blown 2 games

I disagree, Joba has starter stuff, David Price could also be one of the best setup men/closers for years to come, but he has more than 2 pitches, like Joba, so putting either of them in the bullpen full time is... well dumb.

But if he was to go to the pen, the rotation would be..

Sabathia

Burnett

Wang

Pettitte

Hughes

Finally, bullpens can be very fickle, one year they can be great, one year they can be horrible, you know why? Most relievers aren't very good, if they where good... they'd be starters. It is very possible the Rays pen will be nowhere near as successful as last season... thats just how it goes.

I disagree, Joba has starter stuff, David Price could also be one of the best setup men/closers for years to come, but he has more than 2 pitches, like Joba, so putting either of them in the bullpen full time is... well dumb.

But if he was to go to the pen, the rotation would be..

Sabathia

Burnett

Wang

Pettitte

Hughes

Finally, bullpens can be very fickle, one year they can be great, one year they can be horrible, you know why? Most relievers aren't very good, if they where good... they'd be starters. It is very possible the Rays pen will be nowhere near as successful as last season... thats just how it goes.

You make good points and honestly...I'm not sure the Rays bullpen will be as good as it was last year even though our talent level is a little better...Those guys just pitched lights out and I'm thinking Percival is done and that could be a problem. And one of the reasons why David Price is still in the minors is because he's still working on his 3rd pitch...He can be a great pitcher but as of right now...The Rays are doing the right thing by letting him work on that 3rd pitch because his fast ball and slider is REALLY good, but yeah...He does need that 3rd pitch.

We are half way there now with Robertson in the majors again. Melancon pitched again today. 1.2 IP, 0 hits, 2 BB's, 3 K's.

Stats so far:

7.1 IP, 1 hit, 0 ER, 2 BB's, 14 K's

Seriously can we please have this guy in the Bronx right now? Since when was better pitchers (Melancon) supposed to be in the Minors, and worse pitchers (Marte, Veras) supposed to be in the Majors?

We are half way there now with Robertson in the majors again. Melancon pitched again today. 1.2 IP, 0 hits, 2 BB's, 3 K's.

Stats so far:

Seriously can we please have this guy in the Bronx right now? Since when was better pitchers (Melancon) supposed to be in the Minors, and worse pitchers (Marte, Veras) supposed to be in the Majors?

Okay, lets do it.

There's always tomorrow,

For dreams to come true,

Believe in your dreams

Come what may.

There's always tomorrow,

With so much to do,

And so little time in a day.

We all pretend

The rainbow has an end

And you'll be there my friend someday.

There's always tomorrow,

For dreams to come true,

Tomorrow is not far away.

We all pretend,

The rainbow has an end,

And you'll be there my friend someday.

There's always tomorrow,

For dreams to come true,

Tomorrow is not far away.

People who think Joba should be in the Pen are stupid.

I know a lot about baseball. I love the sport. I am not stewpid.

I know that for the long term Joba belongs in the rotation. He can be a #1 in this league. BUT for this year I really believe the Yankees best chance of winning a world series is with Joba in the pen setting up for Mo.

That is what it is all about, trying to win a World Series.

It was never overhyped.

Jobas not a reliever. If all the best pitchers stayed relief pitchers they'd never be the best pitchers. Moes an exception.

Close Thread.

Mo was a failure as a starter. He was horribly mediocre with an ERA of 6.00+

Joba is not a failure as a starter. He is horribly good with an ERA below 3.00.

Mo has 1 pitch (well, two technically), Joba has 4.

Conversation over. Joba is a starter.

I know a lot about baseball. I love the sport. I am not stewpid.

I know that for the long term Joba belongs in the rotation. He can be a #1 in this league. BUT for this year I really believe the Yankees best chance of winning a world series is with Joba in the pen setting up for Mo.

That is what it is all about, trying to win a World Series.

You have to get to the playoffs first, and we'll win more games if we're handing over a lead to the bullpen, than if we're mopping up Phil Hughes' messes.

Joba can move into the 'pen during the playoffs (if Wanger returns to his former glory) and it won't hurt us, but during the season, we need him in the rotation.

Stats so far:

I agree. Robertson and Melancon should be on the 25 man. Absolutely.

Yeah, except we'd need to have a lead to hand over to the pen. Which would be less likely without quality starters like Joba. I suppose we could bring Darrel Rasner back... :suic3:

Archived