Phil Hughes Watch

Morrissey

Considering Wang might be put on ice for a few weeks it's worth paying attention to what Hughes is doing in the minors.

He pitched tonight. Here's his line:

7.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 SO (105 pitches- 75 strikes, 9-7 GO/AO)

Here's his numbers for the season:

3-0 W/L, 1.86 ERA, 19.1 IP, 17 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 19 SO

The most encouraging item, to me, is the Ks and BBs. A rate of a K per inning is solid, meaning he is missing bats, which is something he had a problem with last year, injuries aside. The low walk rate (less than 1.5 per 9) is a sign of his command picking up. Based on Chad Jennings writings, it seems Hughes had an excellent curve last night, and his fastball command was almost perfect.

I agree with you that if Wang is DL-ed for 2 weeks, then Hughes will get the 2 starts (Tuesday, and the following Sunday) in his place. I assume they will backdate the DL, so he may only get those 2 starts.

Good to chat a bit with a poster who has some knowledge of the system. Too many folks only know what they read in the local papers, which is almost nil.

What happens if Phil Hughes comes up and does really well? Throws a couple of gems and proves he deserves to be in the majors? What would we do then? Wang is too good to just bump out of the rotation. Changing the course with Joba again would be stupid. Sending him down could send him the wrong message and **** with his fragile little mind.

What happens if Phil Hughes comes up and does really well? Throws a couple of gems and proves he deserves to be in the majors? What would we do then? Wang is too good to just bump out of the rotation. Changing the course with Joba again would be stupid. Sending him down could send him the wrong message and **** with his fragile little mind.

It would be a great problem to have, though it obviously would fuel the Joba to the pen people. Good question, I don't know...

If you feel he has a fragile psyche, chances are he won't do well in the first place.

I am sure this is the Yankees dream.

My guess is that if Phil threw 2 gems, similar to what he threw last night, Wang will suddenly have a "minor set-back" in his rehab, and need a few more days to get better, or build up arm strength with a few Minor League rehab starts.

My guess is that if Phil threw 2 gems, similar to what he threw last night, Wang will suddenly have a "minor set-back" in his rehab, and need a few more days to get better, or build up arm strength with a few Minor League rehab starts.

When is Wang's arbitration year? Next year?

It is the yankee dream which is why I floated it out there as a hypothetical and a prayer.

Sabathia

Wong

Burnett

Joba

Hughes

This Should be the rotation in a good 2-3 Weeks. Hughes has been doing really good in the minors and deserves a spot in this Yankees pitching rotation as the #5 pitcher. Wong will be back to the winning pitcher that he is, I think getting sent down was great for Wong. And Joba is in the rotation right now becaus the NYY front office feels he will be a starter...Even if Hughes does REALLY good, I cant see them sending Joba back into the bullpen, he's a starting pitcher for the Yankees.

That leaves Pettitte...The man is still good but he's up there in age and if anything...He should be sent into the bullpen as a LRP

Thats just how I see it as a Rays fan looking from the outside.

Sabathia

Wong

Burnett

Joba

Hughes

This Should be the rotation in a good 2-3 Weeks. Hughes has been doing really good in the minors and deserves a spot in this Yankees pitching rotation as the #5 pitcher. Wong will be back to the winning pitcher that he is, I think getting sent down was great for Wong. And Joba is in the rotation right now becaus the NYY front office feels he will be a starter...Even if Hughes does REALLY good, I cant see them sending Joba back into the bullpen, he's a starting pitcher for the Yankees.

That leaves Pettitte...The man is still good but he's up there in age and if anything...He should be sent into the bullpen as a LRP

You should stick to the Devil Rays. Pettitte has been one of our best starters thus far. Taking him out of the rotation would be dumber than dumb.

You should stick to the Devil Rays. Pettitte has been one of our best starters thus far. Taking him out of the rotation would be dumber than dumb.

I understand that Pettitte has been doing really good, but cmon...How long is this going to last? The man is getting up there in age and I wouldnt be suprised if the man starts getting rocked right around or after the A.S break. I'm thinking about the future here and if you ask me... Pettitte has no future with the Yankees when pitchers like Hughes and Joba do.

Slow down the progression of Hughes because Pettitte is off to a good start? Hughes is ready to make a run

I understand that Pettitte has been doing really good, but cmon...How long is this going to last? The man is getting up there in age and I wouldnt be suprised if the man starts getting rocked right around or after the A.S break. I'm thinking about the future here and if you ask me... Pettitte has no future with the Yankees when pitchers like Hughes and Joba do.

Slow down the progression of Hughes because Pettitte is off to a good start? Hughes is ready to make a run

As long as he wants. Andy Pettitte is a rock.

Pettitte really isn't that old. He's 36 which isn't that old for a guy who pitches like he does. It's not like he ever threw 96 anyway. It appears that the excuses that were being made for him last year based on his injuries were valid.

Sabathia

Wong

Burnett

Joba

Hughes

Petitte might be good for 15-17 wins and 200 + innings this season, with an ERA right around 4.00. Not bad for a #4.

Putting Andy in the pen is like putting Kazmir in the pen. After all, he throws so many pitches per inning, maybe he should be a Lefty out of the pen, where he can throw all he wants for 2 innings at a time.:rolleyes:

It appears Wang is heading for short stint on the DL, so Hughes is going to get his shot. If he's real good, than we'll have a decision to make, but we'll cross the bridge when it comes.

Didn't Wang pitch in extended spring game today?....I thought I heard 7inning, 4 runs -11K's on the FAN. I don't think they'd fake a injury after a ok outing like that. Just saw the other thread as well.

I think the Yanks want Hughes right where he is until Andy hopefully calls it a day after this season or a real injury occurs. I drafted Joba and Hughes so I wouldn't complain but I don't see them using a DL stint on Wang just yet......we'll see I guess.

Didn't Wang pitch in extended spring game today?....I thought I heard 7inning, 4 runs -11K's on the FAN. I don't think they'd fake a injury after a ok outing like that. Just saw the other thread as well.

I think the Yanks want Hughes right where he is until Andy hopefully calls it a day after this season or a real injury occurs. I drafted Joba and Hughes so I wouldn't complain but I don't see them using a DL stint on Wang just yet......we'll see I guess.

I'll meet you in the other thread. ;)

Archived