hey Max, remember when you said the MEts could use Barry Zito?

Blackout

Well my premise back then was this:

1. If the Mets had a chance to win it all (i.e. make the postseason) they should go for it. Looking at what happened the last two Septembers I think I was right.

2. That if they had a shot at landing an ACE they shouldn't let a AAA all star left fielder hld the deal up.

It was a theoretical because a lot of people said they would rather have the LF'er. The contract that Zito got confused things a bit but my point remains, if in any given year the Mets are close they should try to win it all. Not 100% at the expense of the future. But if you could get an ace and give up a blue chip LFer I think you do that every time.

Now both players sucking since then definitely complicated things a bit. :-P

Yeah we could use 100 million salary contract pitcher with a 5 ERA to boot.

They could have won the World Series that year. They wouldn't have given him the same contract, they could have let him walk and just got him for the LF'er everyone was so in love with.

They could have won the World Series that year. They wouldn't have given him the same contract, they could have let him walk and just got him for the LF'er everyone was so in love with.

Key word, could have.

That right fielder also landed them a starting right fielder and a starting catcher.

Archived