SJ Reviews: 'My Sisters Keeper'...Poignant tale of love and family (3)

SouthernJet

I have been seeing the trailers for this recently and I was leary of the what looked like morbid tale. I hadnt read the best selling book, so I didnt know what was the whole story.

Well, I am glad I went. Its a story of family, love, letting go, not letting go.

Basically, its a tale of a girl with leukemia whose parent decide to have a another baby to help supply the older child with blood, plateletes, kidneys etc to keep sister alive. Piece by piece the younger child provides. As youngest gets older we see her realizing what is happening and discovering her self worth. Lawyers, doctors, and in theh end this flick is a vieled debate between pro-life and pro-choice. The subject is just shifed.

Cameron Diaz plays the Mom blinded to her other kids needs in her honorable quest to save her child. Jason Patric does fine a shubby, but as usual Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshione) steals the flick. Alex Baldwin plays a very nice attorney part that binds the story nicely.

Without giving away too much, it is not for those who want yuks, car chases, things blown up etc. Its for those who desire a good old fashioned quality that pulls you in and wont let go.

We all have stories in our families and tough choices that we have to make. There isnt always a perfectly right or wrong solution.

3 stars_002.gif's

Thankyou for the review SJ. Just tell me if it's a chick flick or not.

Its a great story..those have no boundaries. If you are hung up on movies that play on emotion and lack car crashes and explosions, then OK its a 'chick' flick. I have always hated that term.

i was crying hysterically during the preview .. i dont think i can watch the whole thing.

actually the way the story plays out there isnt really that much of an issue in that dept. Go see it. You will be glad you did.

Its a great story..those have no boundaries. If you are hung up on movies that play on emotion and lack car crashes and explosions, then OK its a 'chick' flick. I have always hated that term.

I like my emotions bottled up, where they slowly eat away at my soul until I die. :)

I like my emotions bottled up, where they slowly eat away at my soul until I die. :)

well thats not healthy my friend.

To be honest, most women actually like and 'respond' to a guy who can show emotions.

A story is a story.

No its not a film about Traveling pants or shopping sprees. Its a story of compassion and honor that is just plain good.

To be honest, most women actually like and 'respond' to a guy who can show emotions.

A story is a story.

No its not a film about Traveling pants or shopping sprees. Its a story of compassion and honor that is just plain good.

I was just kiding, if I'm comfortable enuff to see "brokeback mountain" I can see this movie. But tonight I'm in the mood for some "action." :)

I was just kiding, if I'm comfortable enuff to see "brokeback mountain" I can see this movie. But tonight I'm in the mood for some "action." :)

form what i see there isnt any quality action flicks out right now..next week, 'public enemy' might be your cup of tea

Hah! Most women CLAIM to like a man who shows emotions, isn't afraid to cry, is willing to share, etc. Then they go boink his best friend in the back of Buick Centurian while you wait for her phonecall for three hours and so you finally call her at her girlfriend's house because she's supposed to be there on a sleepover and the girlfriend doesn't realize she was the cover story and so she tells you she's there for you if you need her, just to vent, and you cry and share and she cuts you off abruptly and says, "Wow, you are one serious pu$$y, no wonder you can't keep a girlfriend" and hangs up on you that night after homecoming in 1988.

Hah! Most women CLAIM to like a man who shows emotions, isn't afraid to cry, is willing to share, etc. Then they go boink his best friend in the back of Buick Centurian while you wait for her phonecall for three hours and so you finally call her at her girlfriend's house because she's supposed to be there on a sleepover and the girlfriend doesn't realize she was the cover story and so she tells you she's there for you if you need her, just to vent, and you cry and share and she cuts you off abruptly and says, "Wow, you are one serious pu$$y, no wonder you can't keep a girlfriend" and hangs up on you that night after homecoming in 1988.

I'm guessing you've been screwed over by a girl in the past? lol

There are very few honest men and women out there, Just my opinion though, not a fact.

I hate cancer movies. They're manipulative, as if you're obligated to like them just because of the subject matter. I'll probably never see it. In fact, that's a pretty good bet.

so it would be OK if she had AIDS or Sickle Cell anemia?? :confused:

Very odd comments.. very odd..

No, they aren't odd comments at all. I'm just not a fan of 'illness' films. Again, I find them manipulative.

Its not a illness film..Its astory of life and challenges. I think many of us have fears of these types of movies. Usuall ysomething in our past does this. I usually am leary as well. The last thing this film is is manipulative.I knpow some films are , this one definitly is NOT. Its just good old story telling.

According to my buddies girlfriend, who read the book, the movie was horrible. Book is much better for you ladies (seeing as the only men who would go and see this movie either swing the other way or are whipped... or in SJ's case, he's a movie critic AND whipped ;))

According to my buddies girlfriend, who read the book, the movie was horrible. Book is much better for you ladies (seeing as the only men who would go and see this movie either swing the other way or are whipped... or in SJ's case, he's a movie critic AND whipped ;))

C'mon Joeybear...just admit it. You read the book and preferred that over the movie.

Just kidding!!! \:D/

99% of time when u read the book u wil lbe major disapointed in film,,thats expected..u freakin know most of plot and if they change it u r pissed,, unknown expectation is the pillar of film and print..

Good stories are good stories..Only Guidos need boom boom bang bang to reiterate their masculinity ;)

Archived