Thomas Jones to sign with Detroit?

Steveg

If he goes to detroit out of spite, then f him. I can see having your pride and all, but come on it's a business. The Jets want him back. And he'd rather play for a team that is never going to see a winning season anytime soon, to maybe have a chance to win a superbowl. Unreal.

If he goes to detroit out of spite, then f him. I can see having your pride and all, but come on it's a business. The Jets want him back. And he'd rather play for a team that is never going to see a winning season anytime soon, to maybe have a chance to win a superbowl. Unreal.

I didn't have the love for Jones that many here seem to. But c'mon Coach.

The Jets, whose owner has billions, cut Jones because they wanted him to take a few million less in a season with no salary cap. He's turning 32 in August and now that he's totally free to negotiate with every team without the burden of draft compensation being returned to the Jets, he's in a good negotiating position. This will be the last multi-million payday of his life. He also still wants to start and the playoffs showed the Jets are justifiably infatuated with Greene's ability plus Leon is returning as well (barring something unusual occurring).

And Jones should pass up on maybe starting in Detroit, for twice as much coin AND a longer contract than just the 2010 season, to re-sign with a team who cut him chiefly for money reasons and whose GM said in a press conference that "skill" was a deciding factor in letting Jones go?

If he re-signs with the Jets it will only be because no other team wants him, which is not going to be the case.

I didn't have the love for Jones that many here seem to. But c'mon Coach.

The Jets, whose owner has billions, cut Jones because they wanted him to take a few million less in a season with no salary cap. He's turning 32 in August and now that he's totally free to negotiate with every team without the burden of draft compensation being returned to the Jets, he's in a good negotiating position. This will be the last multi-million payday of his life. He also still wants to start and the playoffs showed the Jets are justifiably infatuated with Greene's ability plus Leon is returning as well (barring something unusual occurring).

And Jones should pass up on maybe starting in Detroit, for twice as much coin AND a longer contract than just the 2010 season, to re-sign with a team who cut him chiefly for money reasons and whose GM said in a press conference that "skill" was a deciding factor in letting Jones go?

If he re-signs with the Jets it will only be because no other team wants him, which is not going to be the case.

I don't agree with most of this.

For starters, who cares how much our owner, or any owner, has? They didn't get all that money by just tossing it away. Thomas Jones is not worth 6M this year. He already got 14M , so he has absolutely no reason to be bitter with the Jets.

I also do not believe if he re ups with the Jets its only because every other team did not want him. It's not like he's going to sit on the bench and rot here. He's going to play. He's just not going to get 20+ touches a game.

What I do agree with though, is this is his last payday, and if he can recoup all of that 6 M in year one, then who can blame him for leaving? However, if he signs on for 2 years, 5M with detroit or something like that, then he's just being spiteful, because I bet the jets would offer him that.

I don't agree with most of this.

For starters, who cares how much our owner, or any owner, has? They didn't get all that money by just tossing it away. Thomas Jones is not worth 6M this year. He already got 14M , so he has absolutely no reason to be bitter with the Jets.

I also do not believe if he re ups with the Jets its only because every other team did not want him. It's not like he's going to sit on the bench and rot here. He's going to play. He's just not going to get 20+ touches a game.

What I do agree with though, is this is his last payday, and if he can recoup all of that 6 M in year one, then who can blame him for leaving? However, if he signs on for 2 years, 5M with detroit or something like that, then he's just being spiteful, because I bet the jets would offer him that.

You're looking at things from your point of view, not from Jones' point of view. This is a man who pocketed $13M over the first two years and then cried foul because the third year he only got an additional $1M.

#1 He wants to get paid. #2 He's already said he felt slighted.

The door might have been open a little if Tannenbaum didn't refer to "skill" being part of the reason they cut him. (Yes I know he likely meant skill as in his skill is not worth $6M, but it's unlikely Jones took it that way). Basically that isn't a "nice" thing to say about someone you just released into free agency. No reason to believe Jones would want to be "nice" back to the Jets.

Personally I don't look at it that way, and probably neither do you. But then we're not in the situation so we can comment on it dispassionately in a way Jones cannot.

Archived