Revis Talks Madden

jetscanes331

Pretty cool.

Darrelle Revis has 'Madden' covered

Jets All-Pro is as good in the video game as he is in real life, even if he still fears the Madden Curse

Robinson_Jon_35.jpg By Jon Robinson

ESPN Video Games

Archive

video_i_revis_576.jpgRich Kane/Icon SMIRevis can shutdown anyone in "Madden," even if he doesn't like to play as the Jets.

If you hear a bunch of hollering and screaming coming from Darrelle Revis' house, don't panic, it's just the Jets corner and his friends playing video games. "We're really competitive," Revis explains, "and all the yelling is just part of it because we want to win so bad. All that noise is just part of our competitive nature."

And while Revis cites games like "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" and "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10" among his current favorites, he still finds himself going back to a gaming franchise he grew up playing, "Madden."

MaddenBowl2010_12_200.jpgEA SportsDarrelle Revis covers Ochocinco in "Madden" just like he does in real life.

"All I know is that when you throw the ball to my side of the field in the game, it's getting defended really well," Revis says with a laugh when I ask if his character is the best shutdown corner in the series. "I actually don't even play as the Jets. I branch out and try other teams, other players like Charles Woodson, because I'm a fan of football."

And while most players beg EA Sports to add more muscles to their characters, Revis actually wants the opposite. "They need to make me thinner," he says. "Take some of that weight off so I can run fast. I'm a corner, I need to be quick."

Revis bought a 65-inch TV to upgrade his gaming setup at home, and says you need a big screen these days to get the most out of systems like the PlayStation 3. "The bigger the screen you have, the better games like 'Fight Night' look," he says. "My problem is I don't like to block when I box, so I get hit with too many punches to the head. I just go in swinging and my fighter's face ends up looking like a mess."

And while strategy might be a problem for the Jets corner in the ring, he's actually hoping for a more authentic way to play defensive back when it comes to "Madden NFL 11."

"They need to add more jamming at the line," he explains. "I want to see the off-hand jam, the two-hand jam, and more interaction between the receiver and the corner. I know it's a video game, but the way some of the interaction looks right now is a bit stiff. You want to make it as true to life as possible, and all of these things make a big difference when it comes to how the routes are run. I just want to see them make more of a difference in the game by making it easier for people to perform."

As for who Revis wants to see on the cover of "Madden" this year, he refuses to answer. "I don't want to see anyone get hurt," he says, referring to the dreaded Madden Curse.

"Would you want to be on the cover?" I ask, "or do you think the Madden Curse would get you?

"I just want to play football," Revis responds with a smirk. "It is what it is."

As for who Revis wants to see on the cover of "Madden" this year, he refuses to answer. "I don't want to see anyone get hurt," he says, referring to the dreaded Madden Curse.

"Would you want to be on the cover?" I ask, "or do you think the Madden Curse would get you?

"I just want to play football," Revis responds with a smirk. "It is what it is."

Just when I thought I couldn't like him anymore.

Archived