How does Holmes effect our draft strategy?

Jetsfan80

Pre-Holmes it looked like we might either trade one of our early picks to acquire a WR or even draft one in the 1st or 2nd round, perhaps a Golden Tate or another slot-type receiver that could eventually become a # 1 or 2.

With Holmes coming in without us having to sacrifice our early picks, does this guarentee we'll be going after a corner and a pass rusher with our 1st 2 choices? Or if for some ungodly reason we really do get Jason Taylor and fill our need for a pass-rusher, do we toy with possibility of trading up to land Eric Berry or some other big name?

NOTE: I meant "affect", not "effect". Sorry grammar sticklers!

I'm praying that we'll add some quality depth to both the O line and DE's. ANYONE goes down on the O line and we're in a world of hurt.

I am firmly on the add some quality depth in the trenches bandwagon as well. What I'm wondering is where we end up picking. Value doesn't seem to match up to needs at #29, we know Tannenbaum isn't afraid to trade up but he's traded down before as well, just not as early. Perhaps this is the first year that happens, although I could see a move up as well. But right now unless somebody surprising falls, standing pat at #29 doesn't make at on of sense.

I would agree even before the holmes trade we needed o and d line depth. even if we do get taylor. but remember guys, some of these players are only a one year add on. not saying we won't extend them, but wr is still a need position. not as desperate, but still a need for later rounds.

Neither Taylor or Holmes affects the draft one bit. They are both more then likely 1 year rentals. If the best player at 29 is a WR, or pass rusher, the Jets will still take him

Possibly, but I think a WR is unlikely right now. It's pretty clear that this team is being put together for a run short term and management feels they can compete for a championship this season, they're not going to draft somebody who won't see the field much as a rookie. Additionally one of Holmes or Edwards should be retained after this season. Much of the purpose of drafting a WR at #29 was taking a guy who could be an insurance policy for Edwards if he left and a #3 this year. Now with Holmes and Edwards it is likely one of them is retained, and we have a nice trio of WR's for this year. Why draft somebody in the first round to be a #4 WR for a year and a #3 (in all likelihood) a year later?

Possibly, but I think a WR is unlikely right now. It's pretty clear that this team is being put together for a run short term and management feels they can compete for a championship this season, they're not going to draft somebody who won't see the field much as a rookie. Additionally one of Holmes or Edwards should be retained after this season. Much of the purpose of drafting a WR at #29 was taking a guy who could be an insurance policy for Edwards if he left and a #3 this year. Now with Holmes and Edwards it is likely one of them is retained, and we have a nice trio of WR's for this year. Why draft somebody in the first round to be a #4 WR for a year and a #3 (in all likelihood) a year later?

+ 1

If we do draft a WR it will be in the later rounds, I would think. Pick up a guy who can be the slot-type receiver until Holmes comes available in week 5, and if he does well, give him an increased role once either Braylon or Holmes leaves in 2011.

I'm still holding out hope for Jordan Shipley in round 4, espcially since I don't see us giving BOTH Braylon and Holmes big money. Those 2 will spend 2010 competing for a big contract.

Archived