Id you haven't watched the first 15 innings of the Mets/Cards

Bugg

This is a fun game, period. Doesn't matter who you root for, it's one of those things that happens from time to time in baseball that you have to crack a cold one or 13 and enjoy. Position players pitching?

This is a fun game, period. Doesn't matter who you root for, it's one of those things that happens from time to time in baseball that you have to crack a cold one or 13 and enjoy. Position players pitching?

Yeah, just hate to see it end because a position guys comes in and can't throw a strike. Anti climactic if you ask me.

Yeah, just hate to see it end because a position guys comes in and can't throw a strike. Anti climactic if you ask me.

What about when a true pitcher can't throw a strike?

Mets 1, Cardinals 0

Francisco Rodriguez walks the first batter in the bottom of the 19th.

this mets team is pathetic

they scored 1 run off of two StL position players posing as pitchers

then they allow a pitcher posing as a position player to advance a runner from 2nd to 3rd on a groundout

then the Mets closer allows a run to tie the score

Wow...Wow...Wow! Is K-Rod that fragile? The guy make a billion dollars a year and is considered one of the top closers in baseball but he's above pitching two innings? Is this because he was ineffective or does Jerry just refuese to subject him to having to pitch an inning coming out of the dugout?

Wow...Wow...Wow! Is K-Rod that fragile? The guy make a billion dollars a year and is considered one of the top closers in baseball but he's above pitching two innings? Is this because he was ineffective or does Jerry just refuese to subject him to having to pitch an inning coming out of the dugout?

Yes, he is that fragile. Almost all the closers in MLB are that fragile.

The save statistic is really horrible.

Remember when a team's top reliever would put out fires whether they were ablaze in the 7th or 8th? Those days ended in the late 1980s when Tony LaRussa had defined roles for his relievers. Honeycutt in certain situations, Burns and Nelson in other particular situations, Eckersley in the 9th.

Then salaries got out of control and a premium was placed on guys who accumulated high saves numbers.

The following type of scenario always strikes me as funny-

starter goes 7 full innings and leaves with a 2-run lead

setup man pitches the 8th against the opposition's 3, 4, and 5 batters and it's three up and three down

the closer comes in for the 9th inning to pitch against the bottom of the opposition's order, he allows one run before getting three outs for the save

The starter gets the W and the closer gets the save. The setup man, who performed better than the closer, doesn't get any glory. He does get something called a hold, but not many people care about that statistic.

Remember when a team's top reliever would put out fires whether they were ablaze in the 7th or 8th? Those days ended in the late 1980s when Tony LaRussa had defined roles for his relievers. Honeycutt in certain situations, Burns and Nelson in other particular situations, Eckersley in the 9th.

Then salaries got out of control and a premium was placed on guys who accumulated high saves numbers.

setup man pitches the 8th against the opposition's 3, 4, and 5 batters and it's three up and three down

the closer comes in for the 9th inning to pitch against the bottom of the opposition's order, he allows one run before getting three outs for the save

The starter gets the W and the closer gets the save. The setup man, who performed better than the closer, doesn't get any glory. He does get something called a hold, but not many people care about that statistic.

Is that you, Goose Gossage?

A fun game. And thanks for not breaking my balls for misspelling "If" in the thread title.

Yep, it's been brought up a million times that today's closers are pampered and usually protected from having to do any of the "dirty work".

Every season we see a marginal/no-name player get tossed out there and put up 30 or so saves. Basically, you're asking a major league pitcher to go out there and pitch one good inning. How many guys can't do that?

I'd love to see a team go to an old school method. Close game in the 7th, it's your game from here on out.

It would never happen but I'd love to see Joba get a shot to do that when Mo hangs em up.

It just shocks me that a guy like K-Rod can't go 2 innigns in a marathon game that is an absolutely demoralizing game to lose if Pelfrey blows it. Just nuts IMO. Especially for a team who's manager is on the hot seat, that only makes it worse.

Archived