Player insurance policies

AFJF

Okay, this is something that seems so pretty obvious to me, yet I never see it happen so I'm curious to know if anyone knows the reasoing behind it.

When a team has a player like Revis who is FAR outplaying his contract but looking to get paid in case of a career ending injury, why doesn't the team offer to take out a $50 mil insurance policy if that is in fact the individual's actual concern.

As a kid I remember reading that John Elway had taken out a $5 mil policy specifically on his left knee or something along those lines.

Could a team pacify a player by doing this, and even if the team couldn't do it, wouldn't you get one for yourself right now if you were Revis?

About 70 football players are part of the NCAA Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program, according to Juanita Sheely, travel and insurance coordinator for the NCAA. The NCAA provides athletes, who are projected to be picked in the first three rounds of the NFL draft, with a loan to take out a premium. Sheely declined to say if McGahee had insurance through the NCAA's program, administered by ASU International.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/news/2003/0106/1488252.html

While it makes sense for an individual player to take out insurance on himself, (and that is what the link jgb referred to it would make little sense for a team to do so.

Several reason.

1. The money as dollars doesn't matter much. Lets assume for a moment Bob Kraft had an insurance policy on Tom Brady in 2008 would the $14 million dollars really have meant much for the team? No, not really. The Patriots would not have been able to sign a player with that money. The cap would still be in affect and Brady's salary would still count towards the cap preventing the team from signing another player.

2. Insurance makes sense to protect against particular events not in aggregate. Over the long haul, Woody (or any owner) would pay more in premiums for the players that got hurt and did not get hurt than he would recover in payments.

Archived