What i did on My Summer Vacation: D'Brickshaw Ferguson

flgreen

Jets summer questionnaire series: Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 10:00 AM

userpic-3492-100x100.png Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Share this story

Story tools

[url=http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/print.html?entry=/2010/06/jets_summer_questionnaire_seri.html]

dbrickashaw-fergusonjpg-424ab77436f9db9a_large.jpgChris Faytok/The Star-LedgerAfter last year's loss in the AFC title game, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said "helping our team get to a championship" is on everyone's mind.

Last summer, Star-Ledger colleague Mike Garafolo came up with a smart idea to do a series of summer questionnaires with several Giants players, to bridge the six-week gap between mini-camp and training camp. This year, we took the idea to the Jets locker room, too. Our first participant is left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who did not include a new contract among his personal goals for the 2010 season.

What are your plans for the break?

Actually, nothing this year. No trips. Just relaxing, a little me time. But nothing big. This is home for me. It was originally Long Island, so it

Love Vrentas' articles and writing style. This Summer Vacation thing is a swing and miss though. Honestly why should I care what a football player does on his summer vacation? This is Celebrity-news type stuff. Most football fans are very not interested. JMO

This type of article provides an insight into the person. I think that we forget that this is essentially a job, for which players are highly compenstated, but it is a job none the less. I like to hear about players off of the field, whether they are discussing off season or end of carreer stuff.

Love Vrentas' articles and writing style. This Summer Vacation thing is a swing and miss though. Honestly why should I care what a football player does on his summer vacation? This is Celebrity-news type stuff. Most football fans are very not interested. JMO

I like the idea, I like creativity like this. But I have to ask, is this the first of the Summer Vacay columns? Because picking the local player who didn't do anything with his so called summer vacay was a bad start.

I hear Sanchez went fishing the other day. I don't care. But I heard it. I guess I'm a little old-school when it comes to player's personal lives. I don't thnk its fair to intrude and I honestly don't think my time is well spent reading about a Tackle's summer vacation. Maybe you guys just have more time or fewer hobbies. ;)

I hear Sanchez went fishing the other day. I don't care. But I heard it. I guess I'm a little old-school when it comes to player's personal lives. I don't thnk its fair to intrude and I honestly don't think my time is well spent reading about a Tackle's summer vacation. Maybe you guys just have more time or fewer hobbies. ;)

He was tweeting the world pictures and joking back and forth with Mangold about it. Nothing intrusive about it.

Jets summer questionnaire series: running back LaDainian Tomlinson

Published: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 10:00 AM Updated: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:16 PM

user_default.png Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Share this story

Story tools

[url=http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/print.html?entry=/2010/06/jets_summer_questionnaire_seri_1.html]

tomlinsonjpg-84dd2ace0bbda91c_large.jpgDonald Miralle/Getty ImagesLaDainian Tomlinson said he "can't wait to prove everybody wrong."

The next installment of our summer questionnaire series is running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who now has a Jets tattoo on his calf and a mission to prove he still has something special left in the tank, at age 31.

How was the move from San Diego to New York?

The transition has been easy. The Jets have really helped me and my wife transition here and just kind of get used to everybody. Already having people like (offensive coordinator) Brian Schottenheimer that I knew and having (former teammate) Antonio Cromartie here, it helps that transition.

How do you feel about being in a new place?

Very excited. You know, at this time last year obviously being in a different locker room, it was different. So you come to a different locker room now and some things are still new. But some things never change, you know? It

Jets summer questionnaire series: running back LaDainian Tomlinson

Published: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 10:00 AM Updated: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 12:16 PM

Follow

Share this story

Story tools

[url=http://blog.nj.com/jets_impact/print.html?entry=/2010/06/jets_summer_questionnaire_seri_1.html]

tomlinsonjpg-84dd2ace0bbda91c_large.jpgDonald Miralle/Getty ImagesLaDainian Tomlinson said he "can't wait to prove everybody wrong."

The next installment of our summer questionnaire series is running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who now has a Jets tattoo on his calf and a mission to prove he still has something special left in the tank, at age 31.

How was the move from San Diego to New York?

The transition has been easy. The Jets have really helped me and my wife transition here and just kind of get used to everybody. Already having people like (offensive coordinator) Brian Schottenheimer that I knew and having (former teammate) Antonio Cromartie here, it helps that transition.

How do you feel about being in a new place?

Very excited. You know, at this time last year obviously being in a different locker room, it was different. So you come to a different locker room now and some things are still new. But some things never change, you know? It’s still football You get out there, you compete and you build a chemistry with guys. And this is where you do that, the OTAs, mini-camp, is where you build that chemistry with your teammates.

A lot of people have talked about your age as a factor. How has that affected your training?

I’m driven every year. More so than anything, this year, just because of all the questions. That’s a part of it. I think when every player reaches a certain age, he has to prove that he can still play, that age hasn’t caught up with him, and it’s no different with me. I’m excited about the challenge. I can't wait to prove everybody wrong. I’m kind of real disciplined in the way I approach the offseason into the season, so things don’t change for me, no matter where I am. Just the biggest difference is knowing the ins and outs of this offense, that’s the biggest thing for me. Working out, preparing myself, my body, that never changes.

UPDATE 10:45 a.m. Just got the numbers on the deal rookie running back Joe McKnight signed yesterday: Four years, $2.29 million, including a $501,000 signing bonus and escalators in year four. The Jets have stricter escalator language in their contracts than many teams, requiring playing time to be at 50 percent any one year, rather than 35, plus a team qualifier.

-- Jenny Vrentas

Yeah yeah yeah...football football, blah blah blah. Where did he go on his summer vacation dammit!?

Jets summer questionnaire series: Defensive end Shaun Ellis

Published: Friday, June 25, 2010, 10:00 AM

Follow

Share this story

Story tools

shaun-ellisjpg-16f30383a882b830_large.jpgEd Mulholland/US PresswireDefensive end Shaun Ellis predicts big seasons from several of his defensive teammates.

0Share

Today we're hearing from the longest-tenured Jet, defensive end Shaun Ellis, who has his eye on dropping weight and getting to the Super Bowl.

What are some of your individual goals for this upcoming season?

I

Archived