Your Prediction: Will Merling be found innocent or guilty?

khesanh

Do It Now: Why the Miami Dolphins Shouldn't Wait to Cut Phillip Merling

By Joey Bruno

(Dolphins Featured Columnist) on July 20, 2010

2,597 reads

23 comments

0 likes

merlingmug3_crop_340x234.png?1279628778Your Prediction: Will Merling be found innocent or guilty?

Innocent Guilty Irrelevant. He's a bust either way. Submit Vote vote to see results

We've all seen the Miami Dolphins' front office take a lot of heat from the public this offseason. With four Dolphins players already having been arrested, the team still has not taken a strong disciplinary stance.

Phillip Merling made national headlines again on Friday, after he was formally charged with felonious aggravated battery on a pregnant woman.

After posting a ridiculously low bond of just $15,000 on Friday afternoon, Merling was back at practice.

I am neither a judge, nor a member of any jury, so it is not my place to designate his guilt or innocence. Not having seen pictures of any alleged injuries to Merling's girlfriend, for all we know, she could have invented the whole story.

That being said, it is my firm belief that the Dolphins should release Merling immediately, regardless of the eventual outcome of his trial.

All moral and ethical arguments aside, there are a couple of compelling reasons to consider this course of action.

First, and perhaps least importantly, is the $1.3 million that the Dolphins could save (along with some integrity, and the continued support of their female fans) by severing ties with the third-year defensive end. Though just a drop in the bucket for any team, with the Fins' many recent costly acquisitions, every little bit is going to help.

Next is the glaring fact that, outlaw or angel, Merling is one of the Dolphins' biggest recent draft busts. The 2008 second-rounder finished out last season with an ineffectual 33 tackles, and 2.5 sacks. He only managed one sack in his rookie year.

I don't know about other Dolphins fans, but I see no need whatsoever to keep this guy around.

Phillip Merling is marginal at best; someone to simply fill a slot on the depth chart, while skating past on the bare minimum. To have a chance for success in 2010, the Dolphins are going to need to employ players that push their abilities to the maximum level.

As of Friday afternoon, the instant Merling's legal council requested a trial by jury, he became nothing but a distraction, and a potential liability for the entire Dolphins organization.

The Miami Dolphins are better off without players like Phillip Merling. If I could say just three words to the Trifecta, they would be:

Cut him now.

I dont care if they cut him or not he needs a good 1/2 season suspension. Ben Rapistberger got 6 games even though he wasnt charged. This guy better get a minimum of 8 for beating up his pregnant girlfriend.

Don't know the law in Fla. but domestic violence has many levels and many factors. If got 15K bond, then he didn't do much to injure the victim. I arrested nd charged a guy with DV assault on his preggers GF three days ago. Sounds horrible. But the truth is, she's had restraining orders against two other boyfriends in the past. And this guy says she was a lunatic, highly hormaonal and had screamed in his face and grabbed him by the throat before taking all of his beliongings and trashing them in the middle of the living room. His responnse? he held her arms and eventually had to shove her away (onto the bed.) Bingo. red marks on her arms+mandatory arrest. Not fair, but mandatory laws are often misguided,.

"Merling's girlfriend, for all we know, she could have invented the whole story.

That being said, it is my firm belief that the Dolphins should release Merling immediately"

mmmmk

so phags beat writers are as bad as phag trolls

Don't know the law in Fla. but domestic violence has many levels and many factors. If got 15K bond, then he didn't do much to injure the victim. I arrested nd charged a guy with DV assault on his preggers GF three days ago. Sounds horrible. But the truth is, she's had restraining orders against two other boyfriends in the past. And this guy says she was a lunatic, highly hormaonal and had screamed in his face and grabbed him by the throat before taking all of his beliongings and trashing them in the middle of the living room. His responnse? he held her arms and eventually had to shove her away (onto the bed.) Bingo. red marks on her arms+mandatory arrest. Not fair, but mandatory laws are often misguided,.

Whenever people tell me women aren't violent I tell them they've never had to deal with a woman with Borderline Personality Disorder.

He is out for the year anyway with a injury..The phags will act as though they are being tough with him only becuase he won't see the field this year anyway. This isn't the 1st phag player that beat up his girlfriend. Randy McMichael did and found himself marooned in St, Louis. He will be found gulty and given a simple probation, the phags will suspend him for games he can't play and Goodell will pound him with at least 8 weeks AFTER he is eligible.

Archived