First JETS camp FIGHT

visajets

First fight breaks out at Jets camp

Published: Friday, August 06, 2010, 12:30 PM Updated: Friday, August 06, 2010, 2:07 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerRob Turner and Jamaal Westerman were at the center of the first fight of Jets camp.

Share CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan called it days ago.

The Jets head coach said earlier this week that when a fight broke out, offensive lineman Rob Turner would be involved.

He was right.

On the fifth day of practice, Rob Turner and linebacker Jamaal Westerman seeded the first fight of camp. Their teammates promptly piled on the skirmish after Mark Brunell's incomplete pass to tight end Matt Mulligan.

How did it happen? We'll leave that to Turner.

"I picked a guy off on the pass protection and put him on his back," Turner explained. "He grabbed a hold of my face mask and had my head cranked, so I told him to let go, and he wouldn’t let go. He was just holding on, so I started dropping some fists in his kidneys, that's all."

Turner promised there would be one or two more.

Other notes from this morning's practice:

The offense's play of the day was a 50-yard TD from Mark Sanchez to Brad Smith, on a go route up the right sideline. Sanchez was unofficially 5-for-11 in 11-on-11 drills this morning, with one interception on a tipped pass snatched by LB Calvin Pace.

Sanchez was more proud about something else: His slide. On a scramble up the middle, he executed a perfect slide and stood up and bowed. His take: "Nice. Smooth. Took all offseason."

Sanchez and Kellen Clemens also each tried his hand -- er, foot -- at punting. Sanchez's went about 20 yards.

DE Jason Taylor deflected a Sanchez pass, one play after covering an incompletion to RB LaDainian Tomlinson. He was also active later in practice, jokingly wrestling with Sanchez after the Turner-Westerman skirmish broke out. He didn't deny hamming it up for the "Hard Knocks" cameras.

"Of course -- they all did," Taylor said. "Why do you think me and Mark did?"

K Nick Folk had his best day of camp, going 6-for-6 with a long of 50 yards. More on him later.

TE Jeff Cumberland sat out the last two series with a head injury. LB Brashton Satele (ankle) and G Marlon Davis (knee) did not practice. WR David Clowney was excused for personal reasons and is expected back for meetings tonight.

WR Laveranues Coles hobbled off the field with an apparent injury but returned a few plays later.

First fight breaks out at Jets camp

Published: Friday, August 06, 2010, 12:30 PM Updated: Friday, August 06, 2010, 2:07 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerRob Turner and Jamaal Westerman were at the center of the first fight of Jets camp.

Share CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan called it days ago.

The Jets head coach said earlier this week that when a fight broke out, offensive lineman Rob Turner would be involved.

He was right.

On the fifth day of practice, Rob Turner and linebacker Jamaal Westerman seeded the first fight of camp. Their teammates promptly piled on the skirmish after Mark Brunell's incomplete pass to tight end Matt Mulligan.

How did it happen? We'll leave that to Turner.

"I picked a guy off on the pass protection and put him on his back," Turner explained. "He grabbed a hold of my face mask and had my head cranked, so I told him to let go, and he wouldn’t let go. He was just holding on, so I started dropping some fists in his kidneys, that's all."

Turner promised there would be one or two more.

Other notes from this morning's practice:

The offense's play of the day was a 50-yard TD from Mark Sanchez to Brad Smith, on a go route up the right sideline. Sanchez was unofficially 5-for-11 in 11-on-11 drills this morning, with one interception on a tipped pass snatched by LB Calvin Pace.

Sanchez was more proud about something else: His slide. On a scramble up the middle, he executed a perfect slide and stood up and bowed. His take: "Nice. Smooth. Took all offseason."

Sanchez and Kellen Clemens also each tried his hand -- er, foot -- at punting. Sanchez's went about 20 yards.

DE Jason Taylor deflected a Sanchez pass, one play after covering an incompletion to RB LaDainian Tomlinson. He was also active later in practice, jokingly wrestling with Sanchez after the Turner-Westerman skirmish broke out. He didn't deny hamming it up for the "Hard Knocks" cameras.

"Of course -- they all did," Taylor said. "Why do you think me and Mark did?"

K Nick Folk had his best day of camp, going 6-for-6 with a long of 50 yards. More on him later.

TE Jeff Cumberland sat out the last two series with a head injury. LB Brashton Satele (ankle) and G Marlon Davis (knee) did not practice. WR David Clowney was excused for personal reasons and is expected back for meetings tonight.

WR Laveranues Coles hobbled off the field with an apparent injury but returned a few plays later.

i'm so relieved that homogheyfagdancingqueenqueer is no longer on my team poisioning us with losing ways.

Still trying to get to Hollywood, eh?

How come this doesn't have an exciting headline like, "Jets fighting Civil War" or hard hitting anaysis "this sounds like a complete breakdown."

Camp fights are bad right? Or only if the camp fight is at a rival team's camp?

Cause I didnt feel like putting one up like that.

Archived