Rex and dingy Dungy speak!

Kentucky Jet

Rex and Dungy speak 'man to man' »

By Kevin Armstrong

CORTLAND - Tony Dungy returned Rex Ryan's phone call, and two spoke "man to man" according to Ryan about Dungy's criticism of his language on HBO's all-access show, Hard Knocks. Dungy accepted Ryan's offer to attend practice with the Jets.

"He told me his position," Ryan said. "I definitely told him mine."

Ryan has never met Dungy, the former Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach who now serves as an analyst with NBC. Earlier in the week, Dungy said that he would never hire Ryan on one of his staff's because of his language and went so far as to suggest that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should speak with Ryan about his on-air language.

"It was good," Ryan said of the conversation.

And on the last day, the veterans imposed their will on a rookie.

Cornerback Brian Jackson was lifted off the field by Kris Jenkins and held up by two other teammates. His feet were then tied together with a piece of yellow rope by linebacker Bart Scott. White athletic tape further tethered his legs and his hands were hogtied. From there, he was carried to the goalpost and had two Gatorade containers poured on him as well as a small bottle by linebacker Jason Taylor.

"I think he kind of realized then that it's a team sport. This is a team sport. So you either going to be about the team, or you're going to be an individual," Jenkins said. "And he got to be an individual on the goal post. So I think he understands now, being an individual in a team sport isn't too bright."

Jackson's sin? Mouthing off to secondary coach Dennis Thurman.

"Team bonding!" shouted safety Jim Leonhard.

Ryan said that Jackson seemed to take it personally. He said he would speak with the Oklahoma product as well, noting it was "training camp tradition."

Today is the Jets' last in Cortland. The afternoon practice will be the final session before breaking camp. The team flies to Carolina tomorrow for Saturday's game against the Panthers. They will then practice back at the home facility in Florham Park, N.J.

Ryan said team activities are scheduled for the evening, including King Ugly, a magician act and more bonding.

"You can have a bible study, go drink a beer, see a movie as long as it is with a teammate," Ryan said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/rex-and-dungy-speak-man-to-man.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fjets+%28Blogs%2FThe+Jet+Stream%29#ixzz0x5EUdwiZ

I wasn't that opposed to Dungy's comments. He comes from a totally different kind of football. Sure he has made bad calls in the past (ala, endorsing Herm) but his style is calm, not so 'in your face'.

Fortunately there is room for multiple styles of coaching in the NFL.

Archived