Nice Story about Sanchez's Dad

sh4dy15

Mark's dad attends every Jets game, supporting his son ... from the upper deck

At some point during the pregame warm-ups Sunday, Mark Sanchez will hear a whistle from the crowd at Gillette Stadium, the kind of ear-piercing, man-made whistle that turns heads. It won't be a female admirer, it will be his father, doing what he's done since Mark started playing football as a young boy.

"It doesn't make a difference where we are," Nick Sanchez was saying Monday. "It could be a high school game with 4,000 people or the Meadowlands with 75,000, he'll hear it. It's kind of like your baby's cry, you just know it. It'll take him a minute to find me in the crowd, but he'll see me and know I'm there. It's been that way forever."

Their forever ritual goes like this: The whistle. Eye contact. A wave. And then Nick Sanchez begins his purposeful journey to the cheap seats, where he prefers to watch the games.

The elder Sanchez will be there in Foxborough, Mass., because he's always there for his son. He was in Indianapolis last weekend and New Jersey before that. In two seasons, he hasn't missed one of his son's starts, racking up approximately 93,000 air miles this season alone. He crisscrosses the country, going from his Southern California home to wherever the New York Jets are playing.

They've got a good thing going.

Mark Sanchez is 19-12 as a starter, plus three playoff wins -- the most of any quarterback in Jets history. On Monday, his father was busy searching the Internet, trying to book his flight to Boston for the AFC divisional playoffs. If the Jets win, it'll mean another trip -- Pittsburgh or Baltimore for the AFC title game -- and his dad will eclipse the 100,000-mile mark.

He's the George Clooney of football dads, always up in the air.

"He gets to do what every dad would love to do -- chase his son around and watch him play football," coach Rex Ryan once said. "It's every man's dream."

Nick Sanchez's dream was born, in part, out of regret. His two oldest sons, Nick Jr. and Brandon, played college football at Yale and DePauw (Ind.), respectively, and he didn't travel to as many games as he had hoped. He made a promise to himself that he wouldn't repeat that with Mark, and he has been there for every step of his son's NFL journey.

This isn't a golden-child thing. In Nick Sanchez's mind, all events are created equal, whether it's an NFL game or a family birthday party or a school event for his grandson. He's close to all three sons, and makes it a point to call them every day. His credo is, "Love 'em 100 times a day."

He was instrumental in Mark's development as an athlete, creating backyard quarterback drills, but he learned awhile ago to step back. On game day, he goes way, way back. Or shall we say way up?

Before the game, after a good-luck embrace with Mark and an "I love you," Nick Sanchez will make his way to the upper deck, heading for the top row -- the Bob Uecker seats. He goes alone, leaving family members behind in their prime seats.

"I bid farewell to them and say, 'I'll see you at the end of the game,'" he said.

He gets weird looks from the ushers and stadium personnel, people wondering why anyone would give up an expensive seat to watch from the nosebleed section. Sanchez has his reasons. Instead of engaging in conversations during the game, he prefers to insulate himself among strangers, remaining anonymous.

"It's somewhat selfish," he said, "but I found it to my liking."

Football parents do quirky things. Former Jets star Curtis Martin's mother, Rochella, attended almost every home game, but she never actually saw the action. She walked the bowels of the stadium during games, afraid to look because she thought she might see her son get hurt.

The late Al Testaverde, father of former quarterback Vinny Testaverde, used to get so nervous that he always stayed home. He didn't watch on TV, either; he usually raked leaves or went to the mall.

Sanchez will look for an empty seat, as far away from the field as possible. Invariably, he'll get booted by the seat holder. No problem. On average, he has to change seats two to four times per game, usually settling in by the end of the first quarter.

He dresses incognito, going as John Q. Fan. He doesn't wear a Sanchez jersey and he doesn't cheer and he doesn't talk back when fans say bad things about his son.

"I've heard Mark referred to in a very pleasing fashion and I've heard his name defamed on a number of occasions," Sanchez said. "It goes both ways. I take in all the sentiments of fans both home and away. It's a wonderful way to watch a game. I can just concentrate on what's happening."

He's been recognized once or twice by fans in his section, probably because he carries a Rose Bowl backpack that bears the emblem of USC, Mark's alma mater. In Lucas Oil Stadium last Saturday night, he remained anonymous until Nick Folk's game-winning field goal as time expired. He thinks he may have blown his cover when he let out a restrained "Yes!"

Sanchez, the antithesis of a Little League parent, tries not to get emotional during games. He stays quiet and keeps his opinions to himself, but he's always there. He has missed only one game in two seasons, skipping the trip to Tampa last season because Mark stayed home with a knee injury.

It's an expensive proposition, making 20-plus trips a year. Sanchez, 62, is no Donald Trump, still working full-time for the Orange County Fire Station No. 6. (Yes, that's why Mark wears No. 6.) If the airfare is ridiculous, he has to fly alone, his wife, Maddy, volunteering to stay at home.

Sanchez has become an experienced traveler, always researching different fares and checking weather reports. Now that it's the postseason, he goes week to week, refusing to plan ahead to the Super Bowl in Dallas. If the Jets win two more games, he will be there, of course, because he's always there.

"I'm not there as a fan," Nick Sanchez said. "I'm there as a dad."

If you happen to be in Gillette Stadium on Sunday, look up. Take a glance to the last row. Look for a gray-haired man in a thermal coat, with fleece-lined jeans, insulated boots and a backpack. He might not be smiling or cheering, even if things are going well down below, but he will be the happiest man in the place.

It's an expensive proposition, making 20-plus trips a year. Sanchez, 62, is no Donald Trump, still working full-time for the Orange County Fire Station No. 6. (Yes, that's why Mark wears No. 6.) If the airfare is ridiculous, he has to fly alone, his wife, Maddy, volunteering to stay at home.

Sanchez has become an experienced traveler, always researching different fares and checking weather reports. Now that it's the postseason, he goes week to week, refusing to plan ahead to the Super Bowl in Dallas. If the Jets win two more games, he will be there, of course, because he's always there.

Good for Nick.

But Mark, come on man, Jets pay you $10 million dollars a year. Spring for mom & dad's airfare.

Good for Nick.

But Mark, come on man, Jets pay you $10 million dollars a year. Spring for mom & dad's airfare.

Oh I'm SURE he does! haha Theyre just saying its expensive to make the story more dramatic and saying its tough to have to fly alone.

Mark's Dad is the real deal...my son and I were fortunate to meet Mr. Sanchez when Mark played his first regular season as game as a Jet. 2009 season opener at Houston. His Dad came down to get Mark's attention and the next thing you know Mark is at the railing. After a quick moment Mark went back to warm-ups but his Dad spent several moments with all the Jets fans who came down to introduce themselves and wish Mark well. The guy took extra time to talk, take pictures with the many Jets fans in attendence. You could tell from the interactions with everyone that Mr. Sanchez was a proud, yet sincere parent. Nothing but class.

My Dad, also a Fire Fighter, used to whistle like that to let us know it was time to come home. Didn't matter how entrenched in whatever we were doing, if there was an hint of Dad's whistle, we got up, dropped our GI Joe's or Lego's or whatever and bolted home as fast as we could. Never dared find out if there was a consequence if we didn't, but it became a game for my bro and I, to see who got home faster. I always won.

My Dad has a 3 block radius, easily, in the burbs of LI that we could hear him from. 2 fingers under the tongue and that sh*t ripped right through your ear drums... haha... to this day, I can't whistle like that.

Gotta say... the more I learn about Sanchez and his upbringing, the more I like him. I'll stand behind a guy like this despite the struggles he has had, given how lauded he was coming out of college, he seems very humble and appreciative of it all. Doesn't act too big for the game. Ya gotta like that.

Archived